main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Trek tracklist

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Mastadge, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I hope this is a great score.
    1. Star Trek
    2. Nailin' The Kelvin
    3. Labor Of Love
    4. Hella Bar Talk
    5. Enterprising Young Men
    6. Nero Sighted
    7. Nice To Meld You
    8. Run And Shoot Offense
    9. Does It Still Mcfly?
    10. Nero Death Experience
    11. Nero Fiddles, Narada Burns
    12. Back From Black
    13. That New Car Smell
    14. To Boldly Go
    15. End Credits

2. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Dude, make that HTR, or at least put "(potential spoilers)" in the thread title.

For all people know this could be about the show or one of the older movies.

3. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Huzza-whah? There are no spoilers in there. Or if there are they're so cunningly hidden that I, knowing nothing about the movie, still know nothing about the movie having read them over.

4. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    I still think you ought to specify that this is about the new movie in the title.

Also, track 11 is pretty clearly a spoiler. Even if people don't know who or what 'Narada' is now, when they see the movie and find out they're going to know that sooner or later he/she/it's going to burn.

Of course, the latest trailer shows a planet imploding, so I guess JJ and Paramount aren't too concerned about these things. Neither am I, really, but for those who are I wouldn't like them to get the equivalent of when I saw "Track 15: Qui-Gon's Noble End, Track 16: Qui-Gon's Funeral" several weeks before TPM came out.

5. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Well, too late now. If a mod wants to make a change, that's fine with me.

I just can't wait for the music!

6. CaptSparrow

CaptSparrow Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2006
    I have no intention of seeing the movie, but those track names sound like total jokes.

7. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Giacchino always does that.

8. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    9. Does It Still Mcfly?

I sincerely hope this music plays during a scene in which time travel is involved.:D

9. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Definitely looking forward to this one.

10. -Commander_Thigh-

-Commander_Thigh- Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2004
    I can't wait. I am a huge fan of Giacchino's score for Lost.

11. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    Some sample clips.

It's hard to tell from these brief samples, but it seems to have neither the grandeur of Goldsmith nor the zest of Horner.

12. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    It sounds really promising to me. I love what Giacchino does with the TOS theme.

13. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I'm digging it. His new Enterprise theme is very catchy, even though the final descending section reminds me of Goldenthal's Batman theme.

It's also nice to see that there's still a composer out there who can put a decent end title suite together.

14. CaptSparrow

CaptSparrow Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2006
    I agree with you. The samples I've heard sound like a typical Giacchino score, but one that could easily be used in place of any of his other movies or video games. I miss the grandeur and pure orchestral beauty of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I hadn't listened to Horner's Trek scores in awhile, but yesterday I listened again to WOK, and realized that it was quite a good listen. It at least used some of the classic themes, while Giacchino appears to have only used to TOS theme in the end credits, based on the samples. My opinion is that it could easily be used for any of the Medal of Honor games or animated movies he has composed for.

15. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    The Wrath of Khan didn't use any of "the classic themes." There was only the Courage fanfare. Giacchino has used both the Courage fanfare and the theme proper.

16. BizAOK

BizAOK Jedi Master star 1

Nov 5, 2001
    Just got back from seeing the movie. We are all welcome to our own opinions, but I really gotta say that I did not like the soundtrack. My two buddies next to me agreed. Acting = Great, Special Effects = Great, Music = Below Average.

That music really seemed to have nothing to do with space. Or comrades in arms. Or moments of heroism. I genuinely think you could put the main theme of the movie to a political thriller. Or a historical drama. Or a love story. Or even a satirical Will Farrell flick. It just didn't invoke anything for me. Sorry.

17. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    The main theme really didn't catch me like the old one did.

18. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    After seeing the movie, the score has grown on me. It still doesn't compare to the work of Goldsmith, Horner, or Eidelman, but it's very good for the film itself, which is a departure from Star Trek films as we know them.

My problem with the main theme (and at times the movie itself) is that it tries too much to be grand and epic, and in doing so loses the adventurousness that Trek used to have.

19. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Bleh. This score was as generic as month-old donuts. About the only genuinely interesting part was the end credits main theme.

MG needs to stop thinking he's scoring for a TV show. :p

20. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I really liked the music. I thought it was a nice breath of fresh air from all the horrible composers that we've got running around now.

21. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    The Main Theme's nice enough, though it wasn't allowed to develop as much as it could have -- although considering how pacey the film is, that probably can't be helped. Aside from its various incarnations, there's not much else to the score. I was expecting individual themes for each character, considering they're already well established and the franchise is obviously going to continue. All I caught was a vague, ethnic tone for Spock and a reasonably doom-laden beat for Nero.

22. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    The score just was not memorable because of the lack of themes that are character-specific and because it just wasn't as noticeable as in other films.

23. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Saw the film yesterday, and consequently also heard the music for the first time, and this is exactly what I was thinking every time that part played. VERY similar.

24. BizAOK

BizAOK Jedi Master star 1

Nov 5, 2001

I heard Batman Forever in there too! But for me, this led to a less-than-positive reaction. Right as the main theme starts descending, I immediately cringe. This may seem childish, but it it weren't for the rather indecisive, multi-purpose concluding notes to the main theme, I might have a completely different take on the score. Truthfully, I like what has been done with the Vulcan/Spock theme. I thought the music for the opening "Kelvin" sequence was fantastic, and I even enjoyed the build-up to the main theme heard in tracks like "Enterprising Young Men." I just don't care for how the main theme unfolds, and the theme unfortunately is all over this film.

25. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Folks, there are only so many different intervals, rhythms and melodic contours. You can't let these coincidental similarities get you down!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.