main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Trek vs. Star Wars :p

Discussion in 'Archive: Atlanta, GA' started by red_rose, Oct 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red_rose

red_rose Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2001
    Ok. Yes this a tired old topic but I'm curious to see what you guys think.
    I also thought it might be fun to see how creative (in a funny and light manner - No "one is better than the other" without supporting your point please!) we could get with Star Trek vs. Star Wars quotes.

Example 1:

"Star Wars is better than Star Trek because at least they have seatbelts. You never see Princess Leia get thrown into an exploding computer panel!"

2. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    Star Wars droids have emotions right out of the box! Trek droids need "emotion chips." Pleeeease.

And don't get me started on how the emotion chip ruined Data's character... oops there I go. [face_laugh]

3. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    In Star Wars, recovery from injuries is a long stay in a bacta tank. In Star Trek, a hypospray can fix anything, even if you've morphed into another species.

4. AxtonTredway

AxtonTredway Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2001
    I can tell you as a former Klingon from KLAW that a lightsaber-wielding jedi beats the fiercest Klingon warrior with a bat'tlh...any day!

5. ObiWill

Feb 24, 2001
    For "Wars": Star Wars ships don't need wall-to-wall carpeting and cushy leather seats on the bridge.

For "Trek": On Star Trek, you boldly go where no one has gone before. In Star Wars, everyone has already been there. :)

I was a Trekker (trekkie?) long before I really got into Star Wars, and the TNG marathon and new series have really sparked the Trek center of my brain. This will probably last until November when the Episode II trailer comes out. :D

6. red_rose

Jun 3, 2001
    LOL!!! AT, I've always wondered how a fight between a Klingon and a Jedi would play out :p

Yeah I was a trekkie(never understood the need for trekker) before I was a star wars fan and Enterprise has renewed my interest in all things trek but like you say who knows how long it will last when the EPII trailer comes out!

Hey Hama, you mean Star Trek right? ;)

Here's another one I picked up off a website:
    The Enterprise needs a huge engine room with an anti-matter unit and a crew of 20 just to go into warp ---- The Millenium Falcom does the same thing with R2-D2 and a Wookie!

7. ObiWill

Feb 24, 2001
    Star Wars planets have cool names. So do Trek planets, but you wouldn't really know it by speaking to aliens. "I must return to the home world." "Worf, come with me to the homeworld." "It's raining on the Ferengi home world."

In all fairness, I've heard a couple of Romulans refer to "Romulus." And, on Enterprise, they mentioned the Klingon homeworld of Qo'Nos (Kronos) by name.

Capt. Archer also mentioned a toilet. I guess this fundamental development in starship design died out by the 23rd Century. :D

8. red_rose

Jun 3, 2001
    LOL!!!

Oh my toilets.

Yes well one does not talk of such things in Star Wars when empires must fall. :p

9. ObiWill

Feb 24, 2001
    Star Wars alien design is more inspired. The Cantina scene alone has greater creature creativity than the entire Star Trek universe, whose aliens are members of the Forehead-of-the-Month Club. Except for the Breen, which look suspiciously like Leia-as-Boushh! [face_laugh]

Breen picture

I must give credit to Star Trek for Q, the Borg, and now the Suliban. VERY creepy.

10. Tammy-Wan

Tammy-Wan Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2001
    Ha ha! Forehead of the month club!

I;ve never been a big Star Trek fan, I like the movies and stuff, and I liked Next Generation much more than the original (I know I may be blasted for saying that too!) But there's always that cheese factor when you're watching ST. I think SW has a better plotline (becasue it's a continuing one, and it pretty much makes sense) rather than ST. But the Borg are cool.

11. ObiWill

Feb 24, 2001
    Star Trek: Deep Space Nine seemed to have more of an over-arching story line, especially towards the end with the Dominion war.

Though it's not a Trek show, Babylon 5 had a complete five-year story arc, not unlike a soap opera (or "space opera"). If you're looking for great science fiction with a continous plotline, you might want to check it out, Tammy.. once you get through the first 12 episodes or so, it's a great series. Sci-Fi shows the reruns every weeknight at 7, and they're currently in season 2. It should come around again to the beginning some time in January. B5 has been and always shall be my favorite TV show, but that's for another thread. :)

12. red_rose

Jun 3, 2001
    I've only seen a couple of Bab5 episodes. Some were really good and some were interesting.
    But I did like the fact that most of the female characters were dressed in non-catsuit costumes.
    I mean yes Seven of Nine was a great character but who needs stiletto heels and a corset in space!
    At least with Leia, you can understand why she had to wear the metal bikini but why put Seven in a catsuit?
    Then there's Troi and her more than revealing blue dress and of course all the women of the original series in those regulation miniskirts. I do love Star Trek but sometimes.....

13. ObiWill

Feb 24, 2001
    Hey, don't forget that in season one of The Next Generation, men wore those skirts too. :p

14. red_rose

Jun 3, 2001
    Ummm. I'm afraid my memory is failing me. What episodes did that happen in?

15. ObiWill

Feb 24, 2001
    "Encounter at Farpoint" and a few of the early first-season episodes had male crewmembers wearing a "skirt" version of the uniform, a bit longer than the female uniform but still above the knee. It was pretty funny looking, and Berman and Braga wisely eliminated this look before long.

16. LordIsurus

LordIsurus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    lol...always a fun and easy topic.

Lets see. In Star Wars, one is allowed the freedom to own a vehicle. Han owned the Millenium Falcon, Luke owned a landspeeder.

In Star Trek, earthlings can only borrow or be abourd things owned by the state or government. IE evrything you see in Star Trek is militairy based.

In Star Wars, when we view a planet, such as Naboo, there is a vast eco-system of plants and animals.

In Star Trek, if the beings are from the Klingon world, there are Klingons and maybe some goofy wolf Klingons.

In Star Wars, there are some mystical ideas...even though some would explain it as midichlorians <<ala Qui Gon and the Jedi>>, others may just describe it as an energy field which surrounds and binds them <<ala Yoda and Kenobi>> or others would just call it a hokey religion <<ala Han Solo>>

In Star Trek, humans can explain everything, and if ever they come upon a God or God Himself, if God doesn't conform to the American way, then he is made to look like the bad guy.

<<I'm not saying I believe there is ot isn't a God or heaven, but when those Trekkers get up there, and there may be a God...I'll be the first to chuckle when they start talking like Kirk or Picard and telling the big Guy about our so important ethics and standards lol GUILTY! of being dumbasses!>>

Isurus

17. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    D'oh! I did mean "Star Trek." Oops!

Anyway, here's another:

In Star Trek, they don't use money. In Star Wars, they use money, but it's no good at local junk dealers.

18. Nillanator

Nillanator Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2001
    Ok, here's another for you.....Whether it's Star Trek or Star Wars, the Dashing Captain gets the woman, or in Kirk's case...Women...LOL ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.