main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Trek vs. Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by slimybug, Oct 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    My god, Buck Rogers! This threads falling apart!

2. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Zemog, the dunebuggie is in there because Picard is going to have a "mid-life crisis"... now you show me drama like that in SW! :p

3. shocktrooper

shocktrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    WOW Battle Star Galactica

Now that whoops ST's BUTT
    (until they reached Earth then it really sucked!)

PS.. The Weapons in ST are nowhere near as cool looking as the SW ones.

4. JediJenSkywalker

JediJenSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 5, 2002
    A? SlimyBug maybe you should chill out a bit? It's just a tv series for goodness sakes! Hell, you people are making way to be a deal out of this! :confused: Maybe you all should lay off a bit calm down go through some breathing exercises or something. Okay? :)

5. JediRuler

JediRuler Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2002
    i completely agree :D

6. JediRuler

Jul 15, 2002
    if it makes you happy.....we'll go see Star Trek Nemesis.....at least I will whenever it comes out

7. Nerak

Nerak Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2002
    If you think about it....

Think......................

Think.......................

Star Wars and Star Trek have nothing releating each other.

For one thing, Star Trex is not a big scope type of story telling, they tell little storys. one at a time. Kind of like Final Fantasy but the same charaters stay.

As for Star Wars, it tells a story as a hole, the grand scem of thing. For example every movies counts. that does not alway work out good. Look at Ep I. People can handle a ****** Trek flix then star wars.

Note: I'm not taking any side

off the record STAR WARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. danlow913

danlow913 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2002
    the person who said that star wars is more realistic is a moron. the force is more realistic? r u stupid. A weapon that has enough power to blow apart a planet? do u know how big that would have to be to make that kind of fusion. a lightsaber is more realistic? how doe sthe energy not shoot of ad infinitim? energy just doesnt stand there. u got to be really desperate and blind to cling to that argument. and the characters are more real? nobody wants to subjugate ppl just for the hell of doig it. there is no innate evil. ppl do wat gives them an evolutionary advantage and wat diretly benefits them. the sith dont make sense like that. and dont tell me its power bc there are far better ways to get power than wat the sith do. now i love star wars but im not blind and stupid.

9. DarthTader

DarthTader Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2002
    Nukes blow up planets

Anyways, ST is to nerdy for me, unless some one dies

10. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Nukes can't blow up planets. Not the nukes we have presently or any reasonable extrapolation of them, anyway.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I can't resist,

It would take approx 6 quadrillion 1 megaton nuclear weapons to shatter the Earth. 8-}

12. DarthZemog

DarthZemog Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Next thing you know Picard will be street racing and hitting on young female ensigns! [face_laugh]

Hey, Athena on BattleStar was totally hot! And Padme's AOTC outfit was stolen from Wilma on Buck Rogers! :p

"In the future, hot chicks will wear spandex!" :D

13. Nerak

Apr 28, 2002
    The person that said Star Wars is realistic, he ment it's done in a bielievable way.

In a scenens SW is more Bielievable then ST

SW was more Believable hen Gone in 60 seconds.

I've seen more far fetched ideas in Star Trek. Like lets see, nobody dies. Only the non mian cast dies or a ****** mian charater.

And another thing why do all of them Have twins. At leaste once In Next Gen Data has a twin and that Second in command guy does to.

Now about the force is not very for off from our world, It's Budism, other eastern religions and some christin mix.

And for Lightsabers, it's a symol of the sword, you cant have a myth with out swords. So a LightSaber is just a sword for the avanced world that is Star wars.

14. danlow913

danlow913 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2002
    the force is not like buddhism its an energy feild. and for those of u that think sw is original and st is not read Issac asimov's foundatoin series written in the 50's where the means of transportation is hyperspace jumps and the capital world of a crumbling empire is trantor a planet that is one big city. sound familar. and plenty of ppl die in st, tasha yar. also sw is an entire galaxy plot as apposed to st is the story of a ship. Sw takes place in an unstable civil war while the federation is politically stable. dam u guys just leave urselves open to anything u realy dont know wat ur talkin abt.

15. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
  16. JediJenSkywalker

Oct 5, 2002
    My god! Thankyou JediRuler cool name by the way! :) it's good to know someone agrees with me! Man and I thought the replys I got for the topics I posted were werid but this is the icing on the cake so to speak! :confused: Plus my parents are watching Star Trek right now I'm so ashamed and there making me see the movie with them! I mean how lame is that! I'm 15 and a half years old and there making me! :mad: well at least my friends and I are going to go see The Two Towers! But anyway my friend posted this topic weeks ago and I have seen it come up a million times scince then so maybe we should just ignore it and it will hopefully go away somehow... [face_plain]

17. JediRuler

Jul 15, 2002
    i told you this would be a looooooong argument

18. JediJenSkywalker

Oct 5, 2002
    I totally agree lets just get off an ignore they are to stupid to stop! :D

19. JediJenSkywalker

Oct 5, 2002
    Plus I have to get to bed now anyway got to wake up at six.... [face_plain] hate it! :mad:

20. JediRuler

Jul 15, 2002
    hahahahahaha
    same here :D

21. Nerak

Apr 28, 2002
    DanLow-

the force is inspired by buddism/easten religons and bits of other relgions around the world. You say it's an energy field, which surrounds us and binds us, blah blah.

Buddist believe this as well and other easter relgions do to. And another thing is that Buddism has no god. Like the force. Maybe a farther to the relgion but not a god. Like Budda and Anakin or Luke.

Look it up in the "Art of War" writin by Sun Tzu 500 years ago. He's from China. They explian an energy field thing like the force.

Lucas did not make up the force aspet it's been around for a long time. Maybe he formed it to his liking but the concept was alway there.

22. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    I like both series.

SW incorporates mythological ideas into its story.

ST incorporates (moreso) sociological and politcal ideals into its story.

People CAN relate to both. People may say that SW rules over ST (while I do like the SW movies better), ST has done lots for society. Anyone know that the first interracial kiss on tv was between Kirk and Uhrah (sp?)? Then there are some real life technological advances thanks to some ideas brought to life due to ST. SW really hasnt done that. But I'm not dissing SW.

I personally can relate to characters in both series. But to be honest, ST does leave me thinking about society and a potential human future (in a sense) moreso than SW does.

23. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Kaui-Gone-Jim Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2002
    Have to agree with danlow913 and Darth Bane93.
    (I also noticed that Coruscant is much like Asimov's Trantor in 'Foundation'. And Trek's Tribbles are much like Robert Heinlein's 'flat cats', described in one of his books that came out ten years before ST).

I love ST and SW, but for different reasons:

ST is set in our own possible future, and has likely inspired things like pc's and the cell phone (compare some with flip-open covers to Kirk's communicator!)

SW is more mythic and a personal adventure (Anikin/Luke) epic -- which is happening/happened, "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..."

24. shocktrooper

shocktrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    I think it's funny in ST how when they have an away team with an unknown extra you just know he/she's gonna die. :)

I get a giggle every time from that.

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Hehe,

"Captain, I think I've found something...AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"--Ensign Jones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.