main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Trek X rips off SW

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Oct 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Meanwhile, past the neutral zone, on the Romulan sister planet of Reman, it?s defacto leader is about to make a bold move to challenge the Romulan rule. You see, Reman is kind of the Romulans ugly step-child. Half the planet is in sunlight all the time, and half is in the dark. Because the light side is way too hot, all the planets inhabitants stay in the dark all the time. They also are slaves to the Romulan?s, working in the Dilithium crystal mines. Their bold leader, Shinzon thinks his planet has too long taken a backseat to the Romulans, without any say in their planet?s future, and their dealings with the Federation.

Sound anything like Ryloth? That's what I thought...

2. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Obviously, the Star Trek writers read the EU.

3. Nighthawk_Andy

Nighthawk_Andy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2001
    a lot, but i don't suppose it's the first time it's been ripped off in other sci-fi. Besides, it's star trek, i'll go and see it regardless :D

4. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Not exactly. Ryloth, has only one small part of its surface habitable, which is the frontier between the light side and the dark side. (And not the whole dark side like in Reman) Too hot on one side, too cold on the other.

5. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I still have trouble understanding the physics of it all.....

Just like Skippy couldn't understand the Tatooine system :D

6. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Hum, the planet has the same rotation period around its axis as it has around the sun's axis, and that implies the same side always face the sun.

7. SCI_FI_NUT

SCI_FI_NUT Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 6, 2001
    Actually it sounds a lot like good old venus

If memory serves a vensian day is around i think 11 earth years. So half teh planet faces teh sun which is where it gets up to half the melting point fo solid rock and the other half freezes. There not stealing anything, it's an old concept in sci fi, after all even befoer venus was studied it was observed the moon did nearly the same thing(although no atmospere cut down on the tempature) a lunar day is equal to what is known as a lunar month.

8. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    ..................OR....they could've come up with that storyline without the help of the EU. I mean, isn't that scenario a common occurance everywhere?

9. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    Possible Star Trek X Spoilers (Just in case someone cares...)

Actually, Star Trek X is a rip-off of Star Trek II. I mean, one particularly vicious and cunning villain with a special vendetta against the captain of the Enterprise; a hideous superweapon that could instantly wipe out a planet; and the death of a major character but a loophole left in so s/he can come back later. I like ST and all, but it's probably time to put (at least TNG) to pasture.

10. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Check out trekweb.com and look around the Star Trek X area. There is a particularly well written critique by someone who has seen the **20th** draft of the NEMESIS screen play. 20 re-writes of a single script? Most go through a couple of rewrites and a few revisions, but 20?! Anyway, the guy who wrote the article really knows his Trek and just smashes the story to bits with objective criticism, pointing out where the writers have stolen not only just lines from previous Trek movies, but entire scenes. Just because the guy who wrote Gladiator's name is on this puppy, don't assume that Rick Verman hasn't ruined it with his usual style.

11. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    which major character dies?

12. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Data dies, but his consciousness is transferred to another android B-9

13. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    I read a story called "The War Between the Nights and the Days" in Superboy #193, cover-dated 1973 (or 1972). It was a Legion of Super-Heroes story...And yes, this was a planet with synchronous rotation. That is, the rotation period precisely matches a year, so that one side always faced the sun, and the other side always faced darkness. The inhabitants of the two sides were frequently at war, and the LSH was helping to establish a peace between them...

Evidently, both Star Wars and Star Trek stole the idea from DC Comics!

14. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    "Hum, the planet has the same rotation period around its axis as it has around the sun's axis, and that implies the same side always face the sun."

Just like our moon, except around us and not the sun. The same side of the moon always faces us....

Face

15. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Venus rotates around it's axis about every 243 earth days, not 11 earth years.

16. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    Looks like the even-numbered movie myth is about to come to an end. Berman has done some good things for ST, but now he's just flushing it down the hole. They've run out of good ideas, so they're trying to repeat the success of one of the more popular original films. I'm glad SW will never become a serial of films like this, because I would hate to see it begin to repeat itself.

17. Rogue_Starbuck

Rogue_Starbuck Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    OMG, 20 drafts! Man, that don't sound so good.

18. Arabwel

Arabwel Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2001
    20 drafts... They are desperate. Simply desperate.

Ara
    (Admits having watched a few episodes of ST, and seeing the first movie... and not liking them at all)

19. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Well, if you just saw the first movie, I can understand you didn't like it... It was really boring IMO. You should try ST6 : The Undiscovered Country or ST9 : Insurrection. IMO, both are quite good.

20. Rogue_Starbuck

Oct 29, 2000
    ST 2 is quite simply the best of the movies, IMHO :D

21. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000
    "Hum, the planet has the same rotation period around its axis as it has around the sun's axis, and that implies the same side always face the sun."

This is actually modern myth that there is a planet exactly like Earth on the opposite side of the Sun that follows the same oribital path. I have heard it referred to by 2 different names: Vulcan and, you gussed it, Nemesis. I had thought it was a Greek myth, but the Greeks had no concept of heliocentric orbits.

I'm a little fuzzy on the release date for NEMESIS, it was supposed to be this winter, but it only got the green light earlier this year, and it takes them a little longer to bang out a Star Trek film.

As for 'Insurrection' being a good movie, I strenuously disagree. It was bad even by Trek standards. So was 'Worst Contact', both had serious flaws, like the Borg taking over Deck 26 on a 24 Deck starship.

22. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    That's not a serious flaw.

23. Rogue_Starbuck

Oct 29, 2000
    I didn't mind First Contact. However, the one that followed it, well, kinda blowed chunks :D IMHO, of course.

*shudders* ThrustMaster 2000 Force Feedback joystick...........

24. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    actually, it reminds me more of Nkllon, that planet that Lando could only mine on the dark side, because the other side was too hot.

25. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Star Trek VI was best, followed by II, First Contact, IV, Generations, Insurrection, III, Motion Picture, V

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.