Star Trek X rips off SW

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Oct 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Starbuck Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, V was pretty stinky. A friend told me it had a crappy budget and they could not do half the f/x they wanted to do or something.
  2. JediStryker Jedi Master

star 4
    It had a crappy budget and Shatner got shackled creatively by the studio, so it ended up not being what he had originally intended.

My favorites are 2,3,4, and 6. I haven't really liked any of the Next Generation movies, especially because I always hated Data and he is like the focal point of the all the movies. I'll be glad when he dies.
  3. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Data is not dieing just getting a new body.
  4. Rogue_Starbuck Jedi Master

star 4
    Mmmm, it's always the studio suits who stick their noses in and mess with the vision. Still, he who pays the money, calls the shots....
  5. FTeik Force Ghost

star 4
    You are talking about the fans, or what???

As to SW and ST taking ideas from 1972 Marvel Comics - I´ve read SciFi-Stories with such planets written years, if not decades before 1972. But since such planets already exist in our universe, i have no problems with that.

What worries we more are Booushs people in DS9 (there they are called Breen, you just have to look at their helmets) and Bothan and Quarren in Voyager.
  6. Anakin SkySolo Force Ghost

star 4
    DC Comics, actually. The cover date for Superboy #193 is Feb. 1973 (which meant that it was released in late 1972).

My last line was meant to be a joke. I didn't really mean to accuse Star Wars or Star Trek of ripping off DC Comics. I was simply pointing out that the idea of civilizations existing on a planet with synchronous rotation was an idea that predates either Star Trek or Star Wars.

And yes, you're correct. The idea surely predates 1972 in other SF stories. It isn't an original idea; planets with synchronous rotation exist, so it's natural enough to imagine civilizations living on them and adapting in some manner.

7. JediStryker Jedi Master

star 4
    "Data is not dieing just getting a new body."

Let me enjoy the moment. ;)

Man, though, is that not an almost blatant repeat of Wrath of Khan??? Man, it drives me nuts!
  8. RingoJuna Jedi Knight

star 3
    I kinda liked ST5, but it could have been a better movie. One of the things that could have made it better is if they would have gotten Sean Connery to play Sybok like they wanted to. But, even though they didn't get him, they put a little in joke in the film about it. Sha-Ka-Ree....the Vulcan version of heaven. Sha-Ka-Ree=Sean Connery
  9. JediStryker Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, ST5 would have been a lot better if they had let Shatner do it the way he had wanted it. It sounded like a cool concept, if not a bit sacriligous. But hey, what's a movie without a little sacrilege? ;)

Seriously, though, I am really losing faith with the powers-that-be in the ST team. Thank God that Lucas won't let anyone else mess with SW...imagine if Berman got his hands on the Skywalkers!

EDIT: That's funny, Ringo, I never noticed that before.
  10. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Androids don't get old and fat. Spiner does. Hance Data's need for a new body.
  11. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    "Androids don't get old and fat."

I guess no one saw bicentenial man, ;), :D.
  12. SCI_FI_NUT Jedi Knight

star 1
    In decending order my favorites are 6,8,2,4,5, and 3(basically all the even numbered ones).
    9 was a REAL let down, here DS9 was in the middle of the Dominion war and teh enterprise wasn't even in any dominion action. I wanted to see them take on Jem'Hadar NOT so weird species from the middle of nowhere which that have never even been referanced before. Insurrection would've been an OK TV movie but it was a horrible Thearter producation. (Come on guys you'd built up teh Doinion so well why'd you have to waste it?)
    As for Trek in general it's been going down hill since DS9. Voyager was never that great to begin with(it was teh FIRST ST series of which i did NOT fanatically watch the reruns). Although the last season of DS9 was great, they ended the series bad. That last episode was far too rushed and to "nice"(dominion going peacful?, yeah right). DS9 could EASILY have gone another season or two as the apha quadrant forces took the war home to the gama quadrant, but of course they didn't. Instead they wasted a great opertunity. Berman has been systematically ruining trek ever since. he's ruined the overpoweringness of the BORG and made them just another bad guy in the universe. Voyager escaped one too any times with out any real loss, and frankly had a far WORSE bubble than SW ever had. Instead of creating a new and interesting villian and sticking to them(they had one in ONE ep that was actually interesting, a force that lay dormant untill voyager woke them and accidently set them free) they stuck to the supposed FAN favorite, and ruined them.

As for trek X i still have hopes, it IS an even number trek film, and with luck the trend will hold. It all realy depends on how the script comes out in the end (20 rerites wouldn't surprise me if #21 is around the cornor). Although i might add given insurrection's disal turn out this will probably be the last trek film(10 good number to end on). Enterprise will probably chug along (i reserve judgement although i am encoraged by the pilot , which featured aliens that looked more alien, than a trek series has seen in a while), and end in 5-7 years. But it will probably also be the last. that will just leave the books, the endless scores fo books that constantly repeat the same stores over and over and always end with the charecters being exactly how they started, frankly you could pick any 12 ST books from any series and in reading them know the plot to 95% of all otehr ST books printed(there are occasional execptions such as the "Eugenics war" and "the genesis wave" which actually feature charecter growth(hell genesis wiped out an entire sector and has actually killed a couple of guest stars(any fans of carol marcus don't read).
  13. JediStryker Jedi Master

star 4
    lol, good one, val.

Actually, in All Good Things..., Data had added weight and a streak of gray hair to himself to make him look older. So he could do stuff like that. I just think Spiner wanted out of ST. It didn't exactly help his career...
  14. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    The ST books are written by authors because they can, not because of continuity. Berman, and Paramount don't even figure them into the equation at all as part of continuity.

That's what the series, and movies are for.

So far what I've seen of enterprise has been very good.
  15. cydonia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Wow, now i know Data dies. Thanks alot, guys. Didn't know this was spoiler territory.

Now i don't even have to see the movie, but i guess that's the point of being a spoiler, open your presents early.
  16. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    cydonia, I feel your pain...this was spoiled for me, too, in this thread. Sorry.
  17. cydonia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks. Good thing i'm not as big a ST fan as SW.
  18. RingoJuna Jedi Knight

star 3
    Don't feel too bad about it. Patrick Stewart was originally going to write off Captain Picard.
  19. EnforcerSG Jedi Master

star 4
    Just my 2 cents, Voyager was horable, it borrowed too much from other shows (like one of my fav's Babylon 5), and after the first few times the ship was blown up and came back, it just got repedaive, and then the inter-species dating matches....it just got old fast.

DS9 was good, but i didn't see all of it, and i wanted to see the Gehmahdar (sp) chased back to the Gama quadrant.

Star Trek movies are a mixed bag, one was slow and pointless, 2 was good, but just too much happened (and Kirk yelling KAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNN was so funny). 3 was...what happened in 3 besides Spoke comming back? 4 was good, it just seemed like...not propaganda, but like the Green people got their hands on it and played with it allot. 5 was strange and it did not fit in with the rest, but it was throught provoking a little. 6 was great, 7 looked cool, but IMO i didn't like it. 8 was great, but i wanted a huge naval engagement with tons of effects, but no, we get a few min voiceover and a few min of seeing the defiant get hit. 9 i laughed so hard when the joystick came up, that was just too funny. 10, well we will see.
  20. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Cydonia, that information was released by berman himself on www.startrek.com, and couple of tv guides. He said forget the rumor that data dies(he doesn't). But that data will get a new body. Like most released spoilers it's not really a spoiler.
  21. cydonia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ok, but i read earlier that data dies in this thread. It's no big deal, though.
  22. LanceJade Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow... I loved first contact and Insurrection! They were great... but then again, I liked TPM... :D

I think that ST X will be ok too... then again, worst case senario... just go home and turn on Enterprise!!!
  23. JediVegeta Force Ghost

star 4

Almost wrote Picard off huh? Well, my dad would have been thrilled. No matter how much I try, he still keeps saying Kirk is better than Picard :p

I, of course, beg to differ :D
    hee hee!
  24. Tahiri_2 Jedi Knight

star 1
    sounds like the moon. the moon since it has no atmosphere is way to hot on the sun side and freezing on the half that is dark.
  25. Darth Pikachuwbacca Jedi Master

star 4
    The "Powers that be" at the helm of the Star Trek francise are changing Data's body because Brent Spiner is too old.... Yet they are also saying this may be the last Next Generation (read: Last Star Trek movie). So why not have Data sacrifice himself and NOT download into a new body. Just leave him dead, and that's that. If it's the last movie, then who cares.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.