main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Trek XI

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Disciple-of-Tython, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    The prometheus splits into three because of the new Multi-vector assault mode, this can allow three separate warp-capable crafts, becoming an entire squadron operating semi-independently and in concert, effectively tripling the amount of firepower that could be applied against a target which I thought was awesome.

2. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    [image=http://www.utopiaplanitia.info/ships/1701j/entjbig.jpg]

Enterprise J Pretty awful and disgusting [face_plain]

Nothing beats the Heavy Cruiser Enterprise Class - that design is perfect

THe Soyuz Class is great starship I love the the gun turrents just gives aggresive feel to it, a Mirander class with gun turrents

Star ship creator is good to mess about but its a lousy game play
    something like a command and conqure with the role playing games and design will do nicely.

how does that work out to be triple fire power ? its just the same as being one cruiser

I think a battleship can do that job in a fraction

3. Disciple-of-Tython

Sep 12, 2006
    No because other ships have a set number of Phaser banks and Photon launchers however when the Prometheus activates Multi-vector assault mode and splits into three ships the Phaser banks and Torpedo bays of the three dormant ships become active tripling the effectivness of the standard one ship.

e.g. when the prometheus is whole it has 6 photon lauchers and 10 Phaser banks but times that by three when the other ships become active you will have 18 photon lauchers and 30 phaser banks so tons better then a battleship or standard crusier.

The Klingon Negh'Var-type warship was the largest class starship known to operate in the Klingon Defense Forces during the late 24th century. That had 20 ship-mounted disruptor cannons, 1 large forward disruptor, 4 torpedo launchers but that would still be far less then the Prometheus after engaging the Multi-Vector assult mode.

One more thing the Weapon system of the Prometheus wasn't standard but was equipped with most advanced phaser arrays, quantum torpedoes, regenerative shields, and ablative armor, and its warp engines were designed to outrun even the fastest starship of the Federation fleet.

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Even if the 3 parts had the same number of banks as the whole, it's still more firepower as it can attack from different sides simultaneously ;)

5. Disciple-of-Tython

Sep 12, 2006
    Thats what I said

6. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    tl;dr

7. Disciple-of-Tython

Sep 12, 2006
  8. DarthArsenal6

Oct 16, 2001
    tl;dr whats that ?

9. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    too long, didn't read

10. DarthArsenal6

Oct 16, 2001
    cheers hal :)

11. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    Goodness gracious me :rolleyes: .

Enterprise-J - good design because it fits with the lineage... (it's from the future you see?)

Soyuz Class - Not gun turrets! Sensor Pods... :rolleyes:

Prometheus - A sad idea for a TV series that was losing it bigtime. Total fan****. This is why I will always prefer the first 3 movies to anything else. For a good warship design look no further than the Defiant, that ticked all the right boxes...

12. Disciple-of-Tython

Sep 12, 2006
    Total fan**** it maybe but still the most powerful starship in starfleet, the defiant is a "tough little ship" but nothing next the Prometheus. The Prometheus is even used in the 26th Century because of its great design and efficiency.

13. VenHalcyon

VenHalcyon Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2005
    The Prometheus isn't a warship, she's a long range tactical exploration vessel. That is to say that she has the ability to go a significant period of time without requiring refit or maintenance, she can take care of herself whilst also maintainingg usfficiently large cargo space for extended missions.

The Prometheus was equipped with three independant warp cores, as mentioned when in her 'standard' configuration she is operating off the ships Primary warp core (in the tertiary section of the hull) - upon engagement of the MVAM, the other two warp core's became active which allowed for shipwide redistribution of power. Effectively tripling the ships power output, thus allowing the shields to regenerate completely.

DoT was wrong in saying the ship had triple the firepower - that's not quite true. Whilst in MVAM mode, the ship does have additional phaser banks (on the ventral and dorsal sections of all three hull sections), but its number and volume of torpedo launchers remained the same. Of course, more of these could be brought to bear on a single target than in it's standard configuration due to there being three vessels.

We know from Canon sources that the Enterprise-D was an approximate even match for a Romulan warbird. When in MVAM mode, the Prometheus was capable of dispatching a warbird in a matter of seconds. The Sovereign class vessel whilst significantly more powerful and with several similar technological refits, is still no match for the Prometheus, which is as DoT said, by quite some distance, the most powerful vessel in Starfleet's Arsenal, however she is/was still a highly expensive and experimental design. It is even rumoured she was outfitted with a cloaking device during the Dominion War, and that Section 31 played a significant part in her design and manufacture.

14. Moylesy

Jul 4, 2001
    Despite all that has been written about that ship it is still only there for the fanboys to go "OOOOOOHHHHHHHHhhhhh!".

There is no logic in it's design, it just does not make sense. Why does it need to split into three sections? What is the point? I suggest the following answers;

A, Deception (catching the enemy by surprise) - Well that will only work once then.

B, Tactical - OK, three seperate units working as one sounds good but why not have three smaller ships with the same technical features, engineering, etc, controlled by one of the three (with redundancy built into the other two), or even better have a whole squadron of them?

C, Because it looks cool.

Correct answer of course is C, do not even try to argue, you know it's true ;) .

15. VenHalcyon

Apr 26, 2005
    Deep Space Tactical Vessel.

It needed to be autonamous in dangerous times.

Each section can be manually piloted - or slave controlled by the Primary Hull.

I think TNG pretty firmly established through its pilot and through it's first movie incarnation, what the importance is of a vessel that has the ability to seperate.

Was this ship created by people who wanted to see something very cool on the ST screen? Yes - but it still had a reason for being.

16. Disciple-of-Tython

Sep 12, 2006
    Well I was just stating what was written in the Official Star Trek Encyclopedia ;)

17. VenHalcyon

Apr 26, 2005
    lol - it says that?

Well - it was never the specs i've seen used anywhere certainly, and there's no where on the hull design I could see additional launchers fitting. Though there is more than triple the phase banks.

18. DarthArsenal6

Oct 16, 2001

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaayy Mr Moylesy,Grand Knowledge of Trek I leave that one to you , I take my hate off

You....

....fanboy :p .....

....... Star Trek fanboy :p ;) .

:D

Never trust things from the Official Star Trek Encyclopedia- when comes to ship design and weapons-

19. DarthArsenal6

Oct 16, 2001
    double post

20. DarthArsenal6

Oct 16, 2001

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaayy Mr Moylesy,Grand Knowledge of Trek I leave that one to you , I take my hate off

You....

....fanboy :p .....

....... Star Trek fanboy :p ;) .

:D

No seriously Moylesy is right for having the Prometheus to be nothing but looks,
    goes very well what Star Trek in this era was about.
    It had no substance and that was my issue with Trek, DS9 was an exception.
    Say what you will Moyles but I still think Enterprise J is total Crap :)
    besides even star Trek web cylopidia says its an possible ship in the future.
    Hopefully when we reach J they will change it radically. The J looks like its anorexic and can break on warp 1 and judging what trek is like it may have only forward and backward firing dircection, only phazers and photon, quatum or tricolbalt torpedoes and no star fighters,
    wow what a ship to go into battle with......pure suiside. Good luck to the Crew of Enterprise J.

Why is it that every star trek vessel are not battle hardern (Defiant is an exception)
    don't tel me about Enterprise E , i can blow that ship up with a BB gun !

BTW
    Never trust things from the Official Star Trek Encyclopedia- when comes to ship design and weapons. Look at the heavy cruiser class in the Motion picture theretically and Logically
    its supposed to be the Enterprise Class not constituition.
    Design has change radically new weapons , new engine everything is new compare to the 60 version even the size , the motion picture one is larger than the enterprise in the 60's.

21. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Not related to ST11 but worth a mention, Nemesis is on Five tomorrow and on Friday.

22. DarthArsenal6

Oct 16, 2001
    Who cares :p :p :p

But thanks Moosemousse :) appreitiated :) even though its only Nemesis. :p

23. Moylesy

Jul 4, 2001
    We do not know anything about the J really, it does look a bit spindly but we do not know how big it is and whether it has something holding it all together like an advanced structural integrity field coupled with advanced shields. From that brief glimpses we have seen you can not really make any judgement regarding it's capabilities.

Have to agree regarding the Enterprise (NCC-1701) refit - how can it really be the same ship? It's slightly bigger but every part of the ship (externally at least) had changed from TV to Movie.

A couple more designs that I would like to comment on -

Wells Class - USS Relativity - Not bad, but obviously this was a design for an "alien" ship that was never used?

Enterprise D - Alternate future version - Poor - You do not need to add an extra warp nacelle to make it go faster, just replace the existing ones with "turbo" versions. Stupid greeblies stuck on to make it look interesting and a "Rail Gun"???? That's not an advancement on phasers and torpedoes....

24. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    As I understand it, the NCC-1701 refit still uses the same frame, the saucer section and nacelles were the only parts made any bigger. Not entirely sure on that though.

Also, Enterprise J = Butt ugly. USS Prometheus = Good concept, terrible execution.

And what the heck's the USS Relativity? Sounds like some god-awful time ship...

25. Disciple-of-Tython

Sep 12, 2006
    I do like the Nova Class variant e.g. USS Rhode Island, I would have that or the Prometheus as my ship :)

Also from TrekWeb.com:

AICN posted an exclusive leaked character casting sheet for J.J. Abrams upcoming Star Trek movie which includes new details on the characters of James T. Kirk, Montgomery Scotty, Leonard McCoy, Uhura and Sulu. Here is a transcript of the actual casting breakdown provided by the studio, Paramount Pictures.

STAR TREK
    Feature Film
    SAG
    PARAMOUNT PICTURES/BAD ROBOT

[JAMES KIRK] 23-29 Handsome,cocky self assured and earnest. Great physical condition. 6 ft or less

[LEONARD(BONES)MCOY] -28-32 Medic on the Enterprise. Smart, clever and a bit danger-
    loving. Dark hair, blue eyes.

[UHURA] 25ish -African American. Brilliant, beautiful, heroic and FUN!, Uhura is almost tom-boyish - as if she grew up in a houseful of brothers.

[SULU] 25-32 -Asian American male (preferably Japanese). Helmsman on the Enterprise. Extremely fit, capable and dedicated. A bit of a wildcat

[MONTGOMERY(SCOTTY) SCOTT] -28-32 a brilliant ship's engineer. Must be able to do a flawless Scottish accent!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.