1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Brisbane (28th-30th November)

FF:WA Star Walking

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kartanym, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Before we jump to conclusions over the future of Outer Rim (this was some time ago), I emailed the guys at StarWalking (The Star Wars Appreciation Society of Australia) about the possibility of StarWalking in WA.

Well, they got back to me today (of all days) and told me that, if there was a genuine opportunity to develop it here, that they would consider it.

So i thought about it, and here's how I see it. Outer Rim, the Star Walking WA faction. Don't snap my head off just yet, but if there are people here that wish for OR to continue, this is a possible option to choose. Questions? Suggestions? Threats?

DS, in truth this could follow a similar line to the Round table group you mentioned. Every 3 months there is a general meeting. In between, casual events such as movie nights, things like that.

I'm just coming up with an idea. We don't need to go along with it, of course, but it's there for the taking.
  2. UmmYep Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think that it's a good idea.

Perhaps we can use the Australia wide thing to attract more people
  3. Pigalek Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Its worked in Sydeny and Victoria so why not here.

Its good fun too :D
    And you might be able to attract some more FFers to WA

EDIT: Sydney Skyforce
  4. UmmYep Jedi Knight

star 3
    hrm... A thought tho, We should keep the Star Walking thing totally seperate from the FanForce boards, as it is everywhere else.
    I mean no mention of anything Star Walking on here, except maybe a reminder about meets.
  5. Pigalek Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thats the way it works for us.

I think it would be a good idea if several committee members aren't actually Fan Forcers.

The link in my above post is the Sydney Skyforce (starwalking) webpage done by Lord Kernunnos.
  6. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Ok, that's a good response so far. Who would like to help in the meeting side of things. I'll chat to the guys a little more on their setup, but let's say a few people all of equal authority, no matter what name is given to them.

I'm more then willing to get the ball rolling. The name Outer Rim can stand unless otherwise mentioned by anyone here.

Anybody else object/agree to the idea. Everyone here's opinion is important.
  7. Darth_Soup Jedi Master

star 3
    Personally I don't care what happens, I have given my opinions and thoughts, what people do with them is thier business.

As long as no-one wants me in a position of responsibility and no-one wants me to organise anything I don't care.

DS
  8. Jedi Daniel Force Ghost

star 5
    I think it's a great idea :)
  9. Banned_Magician Jedi Youngling

Doubtless will be deleted as soon as it turns up on the radar, so I hope this is read by those that matter very soon.

I would like to publicly thank Dan for his time and effort that went into the club.
    He took the reigns at a difficult time, and was given much responsibility for the upcoming ep2 release.

And he did well, despite those inevetable ppl who will always be on hand for something like this to try and trip ppl in charge up. I think we all remember the ticket fiasco, and those very few who for some reason or another, tried to stuff it up for us.

Running the OR club is like leading a band of lemmings through an obstacle course, in my time with the club, we have had:

A transport organiser who needed lifts everywhere.
    An events coordinator who needed to be reminded of events, and doesn't turn up.
    A Graphics designer who thinks a 4 month wait on much needed advertising is acceptable.
    And basic petty crap from all corners.

So as you can see, all 3 presidents have had quite a bit to deal with.

Also, I think thanks should go to the woman behind the man, Fallen Angel, who did stacks of the background work to help out Dan, and get things happening in general.

Too many ppl here want this to happen and want the credit that goes with it, but precious bugger all are willing to actually put the work in.

And those of us who did have been left feeling drained, unappreciated, and completely over it.

As I said, I expect this post to go very quickly, so I hoipe it gets read by those that need to read it.
  10. Darth_Soup Jedi Master

star 3
    I would like to say thank you to Banned_Magician for his above post, and add an agreement to it thanking my georgous fiancé FA for all of her help and support while I was president.

Thanks again Drew, and I agree I hope it doesn't get deleted :)
  11. HugoGoo Jedi Padawan

A club is only as strong as its leader.
  12. Darth_Soup Jedi Master

star 3
    And as there currently is no leader, that makes the club as weak as runny poo......

Edit: And another thing, I am getting confused with all the new socks...... which one are you?
  13. lordvaderFF FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    This may help things a little.

Star Walking works in the following way:

The executive committee (based in Melbourne) make the decisions that effect the day to day running of the club, they base these decisions on the information supplied to them by the heads of the various committees.

Skyforce is the social club division.
    Skyforce is a team of and has a Director, and a deputy Director, both of whom are chosen by the Executive committee and the members of the Skyforce team. The Skyforce committee decided the Where, When, and What of the regular meetings and report it back to the executive. They also do all the work on the day of Skyforce.

Skyforce meets at regular intervals (depending on demand) and also hold social events such as movie screenings, bowling days, etc. The level of the social events is decided on by the Skyforce committee and approved by the Executive.

Most of the Skyforce events should be self funding (that is they take in enough money to pay for the costs) and all bill are paid for by the Head Office in Melbourne.

If anyone has any other questions, feel free to PM me.
  14. UmmYep Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm willing to assist with the running of it, but this will come after both work and cadets...

I'd also like to thank Dan for his work.
    Good Job old Bean...
  15. Pigalek Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Depending on how many pitch in it won't take up a vast amount of time (except with the whole setting up thang a course)
    Syd Skyforce has a couple of planning meets in the months before the meet and sort out what needs to be done and stuff (these help usually)
    (well duh piggles not all here are stoopie heads)
    (shut up brain!)
    :p
  16. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    I think it's a good idea and I'm glad Kartanym thought of it. Won't solve all the problems we've had but at least we might still be able to have the benefits of a club without expecting it all to be done by a select few locals. There are some things like a club newsletter and website that aren't really feasible for a small group to maintain but as part of a larger, well established club, that would already be taken care of. Members would already be getting more value for money than they are currently. We'd still need to organise some local events from time to time but so far, that's about all we've managed to do.
    I must admit, initially when we were planning on starting a club, I had visions of a local group similar to starwalking. Now I don't think that's likely but a branch of Starwalking here seems a good idea.
    I also agree with what Drew and Dan posted. Being club president was draining. Not just for me but for Susie as well. She helped me in a similar way to the way Sal helped Dan (she pretty much organised the kings park TPM event and club registration herself). I never expected to be president of a club and probably wasn't the best person for it but I appreciate the difficulties involved. I don't mind being involved in organisation but having to shoulder 99% of the responsibility wears you down and makes you quickly lose interest. I think all three of us who have been president were very keen to start with but that soon wears off. To be honest, I have a great deal of apathy towards both the club and forum these days after putting so much in to both. Getting help from people with experience and an existing member base could rekindle my interest.
  17. DavidTBrookes Jedi Knight

star 1
    I know I am fairly new here but I think it is a good idea.
  18. lordvaderFF FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    You think being President of Outer Rim was draining...you wanna try my job?
  19. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    Are you referring to your job in starwalking or your position as Palpatine's right hand man? Either way, it would have to be pretty impressive to match the politics we've had in OR's brief history. :p
    Seriously though, I guess you could probably understand the potential pitfalls of being involved in club organisation better than most. Any help or advice is always handy.
  20. lordvaderFF FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    Advice....hmmmmmmmm...DON'T DO IT! :)

Best advice I can ever give is "Leave your ego at the door."

Personal feelings have no place in a committee, you need to look at the facts and decide based on what is good for everyone.

"The needs of the many, out weigh the needs of the few, or the one"

The idea of Skyforce works well because the committee that would be set-up to run it would answer to the Star Walking Exec. So who ever was in Skyforce in WA could sit around and groan and complain about the idiots in the Exec instead of fighting with each other. :)
  21. Darth_Soup Jedi Master

star 3
    But the mai problem with Outer Rim wasn't "in fighting"...... Well it was but not till the very end.... The main problem OR had was the abundance of people who would say "lets do this", yet not do a smegging thing to get anything up and running.

Until people realise that in a club like this you can't just sit on your arse and give out ideas, you actually have to act on the ideas also, nothing will change.

DS
  22. lordvaderFF FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    The same is true for every club.

There are always plenty of people with ideas and plenty of people willing to tell everyone how it should be done, but there is normally only a core group of people that will actually get out there and do the work.

Once you realise this and work out who the workers really are, half the job is won.

You know who you can rely on and who you should listen to. Sure you take everyones ideas on-board, but you listen hardest to the people that have done the work in the past. If they say it can't be done because blah blah blah....then you know it can't be done.

You have to rely on the people you can count on, and don't count on the ones you can't rely on.
  23. Pigalek Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    LOL you should give out advice like that more often to this place :p

I agree with the big tall guy *points to LV* those of you who have been club presidents previously know who will do the work and who will just dish out the ideas and sit on their butts.
    And for the new people who are interested this is a good chance for you to get involved and meet everyone and contribute in different ways. I've made some funny (wierd) friends through Skyforce.

24. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    Just to confuse things, you can also get a situation where someone who was reliable loses interest, or where someone who was slack suddenly becomes fired up. It's very hard to pick the ones you can count on.
    Anyway, the more I talk with people and think about it, the more I think it best to just kep the forum going as it is and keep the club quite separate. I'm thinking that if people want to join Starwalking (as I might), then it might be best to find out details from people like LV and join. Might be better to get a member base here first before we start making grand plans.
    Technically, I guess I'm acting president of Outer Rim since Dan's quit his position. I'm getting ideas from a lot of people about what to do with the club but for the time being, I think it might be best to let Outer Rim lay dormant for a bit. We've still got the name registered etc (registered in my name too I think). Later on perhaps we'll decide to bring it under the Skyforce banner. Like I said. I've been hearing lots of varying ideas from different people so I don't know what will happen in the immediate future.
  25. Pigalek Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Soniel you is showing your age again by repeating the part about the club staying separate from FF :p

Obviously there are exceptions but you can still get the general idea of who will put in the work and who won't the majority of the time.

*shrugs* Thats how humans are

When i was in WA last week I suggested to Pris get in contact with Dax from the sydney skyforce. He's got good contacts with Hasbro and would prolly help get you guys some unless you've organised it with someone else or someone here already has contacts?
    Just wondering if it had been brought up yet
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.