1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Melbourne (10th-12th April), Gold Coast (17th-19th April)

Oz Comic Con: Perth (11th-12 April), Adelaide (18th-19th April)

FF:WA Star Walking

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kartanym, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    Are you saying all the people here are human?
    :)
    I don't think it's been brought up on here yet as far as I know but there's been some discussion about it.
    Once there's more info I guess someone can post some more ideas here. Personally, I'm currently content to just keep posting on the forums and have the odd informal meet. Officially there isn't really an Outer-Rim comittee at the moment so anything anyone organises will be separate from the club regardless. To answer the question I've been asked from a couple of people - there's nothing official hapenning with Outer Rim in relation to Skyforce.
    If people want to join Skyforce then it's probably a good idea. I may do the same myself at some point.
  2. Pigalek Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You're missing the point Soniel. Star Walking/Skyforce is not like Outerrim. It's open to everyone in WA and not just the boards. There would be a lot of people interested in joining up who aren't huge star wars fans. Toy collectors for instance.
    And like it is in sydeny Fan Force members after its up and running steadily will be in the minority so it doesn't exactly matter whether some people are complacent with the way things are.
    The head guys from star Walking will have the say in what goes on like Lord Vadar said.
  3. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    I wasn't suggesting that it's limited to the boards but people have asked me about it as though they need permission from Outer Rim before they join. What I'm trying to say is that it doesn't make any difference what's hapenning with outer Rim or with the forum. People are free to join Starwalking and with what's hapenned with Outer RIm they might as well. I'm not really that fussed.
  4. Jaina_Solo_Durron Jedi Master

star 4
    hmm...sounds interesting...i'm willing to help out/join, but keep in mind this will play second fiddle to school, swimming, keyboard and dance...so not too responsibility, please, if this goes ahead...which i'm hoping it will, btw...

-JSD
  5. Ulric-Thor Jedi Padawan

I read through the StarWalking info and was wondering why this hasnt progressed over here yet? It seems like you guys have everything down pack and could easily bring something like that to WA. Is there anything that would stop you from doing it over here at all? I have no idea how it works but it sounds promising.
  6. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    I think the only reason starwalking haven't started up here before was because there wasn't the interest before. A couple of years ago I was invited to join the club, but at the time we were planning on starting up a local club. Probably should have gone with Starwalking in the first place. :p I don't know if I have time for it these days though.
  7. The_Harbinger Jedi Padawan

There will be a meeting to plan for the potential arrival of StarWalking/Skyforce in WA on Saturday evening. We will be discussing potential venues, panel guests, events and other such stuff.

Bring drinks, munchies and ideas, but leave politics and attitudes at home.

If you wish to attend e-mail starwalkingperth@iinet.net.au for full time and location info.

If you can't attend but wish to bring up a point, e-mail it to the above address, and we will discuss it at the meeting and get back to you about it a few days after the meeting.
  8. Scissorhands Jedi Youngling

Awesome! Email sent, I'll be there :D
  9. Darth_Soup Jedi Master

star 3
    Just bumping this up... I think it is an important matter.

EDIT: Speeelling
  10. Scissorhands Jedi Youngling

11. The_3rd_Darklighter Jedi Knight

I don't know about all this internal turmoil, but having the backing of a large organisation would be extremely useful.

Kind of unrelated, but I had to go through a similar problem with my hockey club. We ended up semi-merging with a larger club, and the club has been better off for it. We can leave the details to someone else and just have fun playing the game.
  12. Str8JaktJim Force Ghost

star 1
    I'll pitch in. Tell me what to do and I'll do it, but Uni/TAFE/Work will come first.
  13. Master_Kaustin Jedi Knight

star 3
    I am willing to do anything with the new Star walking WA division. I was sort of a member with Outerrim. Only appointed by a role, close to its dimise. So my hand is up!
  14. lordvaderFF FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    Well if anyone is still interested in getting a WA chapter of Star Walking (two words BTW) up and running, please PM me and we'll talk.

Keep in mind that it is a lot of work, but it's also very rewarding too.
  15. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I wouldn't bother folks. I tried earlier this year, and nothing came of it. Simply put, there aren't enough people who are willing to put in the time and effort.

But, please do prove me wrong. I'm still interested in helping, as long as there are others who wish to do the same.
  16. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    I was under the impression that it was already underway. I was obviously wrong. Despite what hapenned to Outer rim, I'd be willing to help out with anyone who wanted to get Star Walking going here. Just as long as the workload was shared a bit.
  17. lordvaderFF FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    "I wouldn't bother folks"

Now I ask you, is that the right attitude to have?

If at first you don't succede, try, try, again.

The thing is, people need to realize that it all needs to be seperate from the boards. The workers and helpers need to come from all over and not just from the forums.

The forums should be used as a tool to assist and inform, not as a major source of personpower.

The ideas and the concepts that were thought up a couple of months ago were very good and had a lot of merit, but they just lacked the people to get the job done.

SO....if anyone is interested and wants to make a go of it all, you would need to call on people and resources OUTSIDE the forums.

PM me and we'll talk if you want to make a go of this.

"I was under the impression that it was already underway."

It was, but at the planning meeting that was held, of the dozen or so people that said they wanted to be involved, I've been told only about 4 turned up. Four is a good start, but I think the people behind the push got a bit disheartened by the lack of response. Still, that doesn't mean we can't make a go of it.
  18. Cleopatra Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I would like to help, but no offense after the names i got called and etc, all for trying to help and do my job, i'm not even sure if i would to help you.

edit: I didn't mean you LordVaderFF, i meant someone else.
  19. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    Initially, I basically thought that starting it was a good idea but I didn't think I'd have time to help with it. I suppose I probably should have made a bit of time because if too many people say "maybe later" like I did then it will never get off the ground.
    I'd hate to see it fall flat on its face though. I hated to see Outer-rim fall on its face after everything I put in to it. I think one possible problem is that some people may have seen Star Walking as a convenient way to start a club with the groundwork already laid out. I'm sure the main Star Walking staff would help but the bulk of the work would still beed to be done locally. Full credit to those who did turn up at that meeting. I just hope they don't give up.
    I don't know. Maybe Perth's not ready for a fanclub yet but I'd hate that to be through nothing more than us not getting off our butts and giving it a go. I'd love to help as long as some others will be in.
  20. lordvaderFF FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    soneil....you said it all. :)

Come on guys.....what can it hurt to give it a try?

The period over the summer would be a great time to get the ground work laid and get things started....so come on.
  21. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Not to winge about this but: I was bringing in other people to help in areas, but since few attended the first meeting (I could not attend due to another meeting at the time, which ticked me off, but what can you do :( ), I didn't carry on with those plans.

As I said before, I'm all for it, and I'll help where I can.
  22. Dags Force Ghost

star 3
    Even though it seems to be a struggle to get things going, sometimes that's not always a bad thing. At least you know up front that there are people who are enthusiastic with the idea of Skyforce but who may not be able to commit to it as an organiser.

One of the most important things that has been learnt from the two current Skyforce's is that their success has come from great leadership (which then filters down to a great committee). Both Melbourne and Sydney have been blessed with Directors (past AND present) who have the passion to make their respective Skyforce's work which is why they are such a success.

I agree with LordVaderFF's earlier comment about giving the whole thing another try over Christmas, but if it's still struggling to just get off the ground after this, then perhaps there's some writing on the wall.

To make a great Skyforce work, unfortunately being a big Star Wars fan isn't enough, you've gotta have the drive to go beyond being a fan to become an organiser. Don't be too discouraged though as ONE person can make a difference.

If anyone here is interested to learn how Sydney Skyforce started (literally from its grass roots), just let me know and I'll give you the story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.