Lit Star Wars #1: In the Shadow of Yavin, Part 1 (of 6, not 3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah, but it uses the word just once or twice. ONCE! OR TWICE!

A good old fashioned EU story wouldn't be so stingy. Cue hand-wringing!
  2. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Hm. So this is after that little story in Empire, but before Classic Star Wars I guess. The status of Executor in all this is very confusing -- she's under construction prior to the Battle of Yavin thanks to TFU, and Lord Vader assumes command to send her to the blockaded Yavin system... but not yet.

Fellow has connections at Court, as the Emperor personally placed him there. His Imperial Majesty could put a rubber duckie in command if it was his pleasure.

So don't think of him as holding the flag: think of him as the Emperor's representative.

Not sure if that'll at all match what the comic actually shows, but it works for now.
    Last edited by GrandAdmiralJello, Dec 5, 2012
  3. Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost

star 4
    This should be post-evacuation of Yavin, shouldn't it? Vader's line about "the search for the Rebels" seems to indicate so. The Marvels had Vader on the Devastator with Wermis for a while after the evacuation, thoug;.iIf there's already precedent for Vader hopping between ships, then... no problem?
  4. _Catherine_ Force Ghost

star 4
    Palpatine's voice feels off in that preview. Eh, whatever.
    JackG, R_Zion and Trip like this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    I might be mixing this up with the new novels (so many post-ANH things!), but I had thought it was supposed to take place just after. Then again, I probably am confusing it with the novel since Leia couldn't well be jetting around in an X-wing if she were stuck on Yavin.
  6. Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, I think we need to take "just after" with a grain of salt --- everyone from Zahn to Alex Wheeler claims their works are "just after." If the Rebels aren't on Yavin during this series, we need to allow some time for the blockade and the evacuation. I'm sure The Newer Essential Chronology will one day work it all out.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Ok, let's settle this once and for all. Here's what definitively happened *just after* ANH: Han, Leia, and Luke wake up with severe hangovers after all the carousing after the medal ceremony, probably sore all over from using the Massassi Temple as a giant party slide / beer waterfall.
  8. Dr. Steve Brule Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, there is the example of Colonel Cronus from Darksaber.

Also I think it's kind of odd that Palpatine's first thought about the Death Star's destruction is to complain about the cost.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    I don't think the subordinate of a "Superior General" really counts as evidence. The warlords kind of... did their own thing. :p
  10. Trip Force Ghost

star 4
    tbh this looks kinda stupid
    _Catherine_ likes this.
  11. RC-1991 Force Ghost

star 4
    Why, those hedonistic Rebels.
  12. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Fixed.
    Malachi108 and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  13. Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost

star 4
    Only three? What did Chewie do, go get lubricated with Artoo?
  14. General Immodet Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I kinda miss Admiral Griff... :(
  15. General Immodet Jedi Grand Master

star 4
  16. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    You know, I did hear that everybody got bombed...

[IMG]
  17. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    I miss Admiral Griff's oddly incongruous fur cloak.
  18. patchworkz7 Force Ghost

star 4
    Captain Mulchive Wermis is still the ship's captain at this point, but I would think that a Colonel, especially one appointed by the Emperor, would be able to command the embarked troops as well as issue orders with Palpatine's authority behind him.

I've been a fan of Brian Wood since the old days of the Warren Ellis forum when I first saw CHANNEL ZERO (now reprinted by Dark Horse), and if people want some single trade paperback examples of his work I'd recommend things like DV8 (DC/Wildstorm superpowered anti-heroes) as well as things like THE COURIERS (urban action story) and there's also his Marvel work like the X-Men and Generation X work he's done.

He's pretty well versed in everything from slice of life to superhero action, and it may take a few issues for things to gel, but this is one of the best writers in comics coming to SW, so I'm pretty well excited by it.

I'd also recommend NORTHLANDERS to people to try, as most all of the trades are self-contained. DMZ is brilliant, but it is a 75 issue story, so it's a large investment if people don't want to spend the money.
  19. AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, he is kind of cranky, with the little blame game he and Vader have. He is also a bit more micromanagy, sort of like how he seems to treat his hands, like Mara.

As for the Colonel, guess who else has Colonels- the ISB. See Yularen, who was made a Colonel after being a Naval Admiral. Until proven, we do not have to assume that the Colonel is Army.
  20. General Immodet Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Well, I would love to see Wermis back. Does anyone actually know whether Wermis from the Marvel Comics is the same Wermis who was mentioned in the Essential Guide to Warfare while the author was discussing the takeover of Anaxes and the disappearance of the Whelm.
  21. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
  22. General Immodet Jedi Grand Master

star 4
  23. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Todd the Jedi likes this.
  24. jacktherack Force Ghost

star 4
  25. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Preview's encouraging and an artist who can draw a good Star Destroyer is always good to have! His Vader ain't bad either! And some great artists have come unstuck on Vader, for instance Dave Gibbons.