main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars #1: In the Shadow of Yavin, Part 1 (of 6, not 3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I thought about that line too. But this is the same woman who said of Chewie, "Would somebody get this walking carpet out of my way?!" At this point I'm not sure that the line was out of character.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's entirely in character. Leia, though a diplomat, has always been known to have a barbed tongue, especially when irritated. Recall Shadows of the Empire: Luke remarks how his plan to infilitrate the yards at Gall is simple, and Leia cuttingly rejoins: "simple-minded."

MarasFire, Ulicus , kataja and 4 others like this.
  3. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Yeah, but thats because she felt slighted in those circumstances and was trying to establish her authority. The conversation in question was passive. If that line is acceptable. Then Wood makes what the Deck officer said as a sound observation, which he clearly doesn't want us to construe.

It reeks of elitism, which Leia, despite being a princess, never really shows. She can be sarcastic that is in her character. But she is NEVER patronizing unless its deserved.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    "You came in that thing?"

"Would it help if I got out and pushed?"

Sounds pretty patronizing to me.

She's wearied by the weight on her shoulders, has just emerged from a long hyperspace jump where she mostly stewed on her own thoughts, and she's now let down some of her reserve and is venting a little bit. Unless you think she's a machine, it's normal for her to feel fatigued by the massive responsibility before her and it's normal for her to occasionally let that out, even in a manner that may seem inconsiderate towards the feelings of others.

It's nice to see her as both a heroine and yet a vulnerable person with human emotions instead of just one or the other.

5. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I never said she wasn't patronizing, I said she wasn't patronizing unless it was deserved.

I didn't have a problem with her letting out her feelings(although perhaps the context of it wasn't the best place). But the comment she made wasn't "venting." It was a completely disrespectful remark out of left field.

Its bad writing imo.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    This isn't a detail I'd harp on, but it did stick out to me (and I'd love to be proven wrong) but, going back to the presence of TIE Interceptors here... would this be the first chronological use of "squints" as slang for a TIE interceptor?

If they're brand new, it seems a bit early for that terminology to have caught on- especially since (I would assume) it was the introduction of TIE Interceptors that would require the distinction between them and regular TIE Fighters; which would mean "eyeballs" would need to be introduced at the same time as well and also catch on as pilot slang.

Manisphere likes this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Bombers were already extant as dupes, and there's no reason why "eyeball" couldn't exist even before Interceptors did -- slang is useful even when not used to distinguish them. Obviously eyeball has to predate squint since the latter is a play on the former...

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    And Wedge of all people is likely to be up-to-date on the latest hardware and pilot vernacular.

Guys, Jello is sticking up for Leia.

Dawud786, R_Zion, Zorrixor and 3 others like this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    What? She's a senator and royalty from a Core World. Totally in character!

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I had forgotten about the Bombers. Yeah, ok, I can see that and Eyeballs.

true, but I think it's Leia who says it, not Wedge.

11. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I didn't care for it. Then again, I'm not a huge comic fan to begin with. But I'll try to pick up the next two and see if my mind changes.

The scene with the deck officer annoyed me. Why would he be completely insubordinate to a superior officer? Leia is a leader of the Rebellion. Why on earth would he say something like that to her face? He should have gotten a severe reprimand for that, right? Or is it just me?

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    They're Rebels. They don't have manners, etiquette, or hygiene.

Zorrixor and JediMara77 like this.
  13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Nope - it could be Luke or Wedge, but I think the context makes Wedge more likely.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Speaking of which, the narration says that Luke is second only to Wedge -- curious, no? Not that I'd necessarily disagree (later in their careers), but it tends to go against most of what we know of the era, esp. since Luke becomes Red/Rogue Leader and all.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought they were co-leaders? Might be remembering a fan-fic story that had that though.

16. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I absolutely love Snyder's work. I haven't read much Brian Wood, but I personally like the approach of using lots and lots of dialogue.. no complaints from me if a comic reads like a tv series.

17. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Just finished it earlier this morning. Loved it! I was very impressed by the story as well as the art. I also am a fan of the heavy dialogue.

Poor Greedo likes this.
  18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I liked this well enough. It'll probably take a few issues for me to be hooked, but so far it looks promising.

19. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I guess I got hooked easily. I am just trying to enjoy as much of Dark Horse SW as possible with rumors of this being their last year together.

20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    If we go by the ol' X-Wing, TIE Interceptors were already around before the Battle of Yavin - not too long, as they should be after the development of the X-Wing. (One gets the impression that they were rushed out of the "TIE Advanced" project in order to meet the threat of the new Rebel fighter, with mixed results)

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    IIRC, The Technical Journal of the Imperial Forces said that most ISDs just before Yavin carried 1 squadron of Interceptors and that this was increased to 2 after Yavin. The part I'm not sure about is whether it's Yavin or Hoth that's the changeover -- I have the darn thing lying around here somewhere, but not entirely sure where.

22. Full Spectrum Dominator

Full Spectrum Dominator Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2013
    If Leia had no military rank, i don't see how he could not get away with it.

23. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    After being in the service, I had no problem with that scene. That is totally inside the realm of possibility as far as any military organization goes.

24. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
  25. Hogne

Hogne Jedi Master star 1

Sep 21, 2004
    I haven't read this story yet. I will buy it digitally tonight and then the TPB when it comes out. It sounds like escapist fun, though.

My only concern is about how much retconning that is going on. Does the story take into account that the brilliant Goodwin/Williamson strip has happened, or is it disregarded?. On the other hand, the previous Star Wars series set between ANH and ESB by Dark Horse Comics pretty much threw a lot of the stuff from that strip out the window when they started writing stories about the rebels jumping around in hyperspace looking for a base, while the newspaper strip established that they didn't leave Yavin IV before they had found Hoth.