main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars #11: It's A Trap (aka no way can Nick not like the cover!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Aug 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

Yeah, I think some may not realize that twenty issues is a pretty healthy run, and Wood seems (basing on past performance and how exact he is when discussing other works) to be pretty exact in terms of planning his storylines out.

I've a feeling he had a clear story in his head and knew he wanted twenty issues to tell it in. He's also no stranger to doing shorter runs, as his own (excellent) comic THE MASSIVE is slated for a thirty issue run which is the result of him planning the whole story out.

I'd rather have someone who has a vision that might be shorter than some would like but can execute it well than someone who is just marking time on an open-ended story.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I'm not saying 20 issues isn't good, just.... I feel like DH is really going to lose the license so I'm bracing myself for the disappointment.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, Wood is known for having finite but planned runs.

That he's said this actually gives me more confidence for when I get the first trade.

Thanks for the other pics Nick, quite stunning. I'm with Coop, need a Cooke comic - 22 pages of awesomeness.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I can't really see any of the images so I can't comment on the ship stuff -- but I'm always happy to see Coruscant in comics. I still want to see a proper full view of the Imperial Palace without dialog boxes or actions in the way.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

5. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    Thats an awsome cover.

If Wood does leave after issue twenty, they could always get a new writer. Though that depends on how popular the series is. Has DH released any information on sales?​

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    They're pretty good. Though whether the series was ever conceived of as outlasting Wood's involvement is uncertain.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    My god- it's full of stars!

Fantastic cover, Sean. Gorgeous with a hint of nostalgia.

8. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I freaking love that cover. Looks like a movie poster.

Also, this:

"And, on Coruscant, Han Solo’s luck may be changing—unless . . . well, unless it isn’t . . ."

Ha! They truly know how to promote this series.

9. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I like how Sean got a pseudo-ShaShore-class frigate at the bottom of the cover. That's three eras where it shows up now. ;)

10. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    It looks to be 6 engines, smaller than a wingless MC80, but larger than the MC-40 light cruiser. Maybe a larger light cruiser, in the MC-50 or -60 range?

Having the ShaShore being an evolution of an existing design would make sense, like how the cruiser line goes from the Liberty and Wingless type MC-80, the temporary MC-80B, the MC-90, then the Mediator.

11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I like the idea of an MC50 or MC60 being a warship in either the 500-700 meter range. On the other hand, it really does work equally well as a MC80 variant. As AdmiralWesJanson points out, it would be a nice example of how these cruiser vary slightly but still a mostly based on three hulls during the period.

semicooke, what was your inspiration for the lower cruiser? In your mind, is that a cruiser of the standard MC80 line or something entirely different?

--Adm. Nick

12. semicooke

semicooke Legacy Concept Artist star 1 VIP

Dec 1, 1998
    Tzizvvt78 is right...the starting point was being in the mindset of an aging ShaShore-esque ship. So by default, yeah I'm thinking slightly below the 80's but not much...still a sizable ship. What do you guys think?

AdmiralNick22 and Tzizvvt78 like this.
  13. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Sounds swell to me! Always up for more ship designs in the Calamari fleet. :)
    Depending on why the Calamari give the numbers to their ships, if it doesn't necessarily signify size, then I'd suggest this being a MC30a or MC30b frigate. Since we know the MC30c model already.

14. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    We do really need some more ships in the middle of the Mon Cal range- there is currently a pretty big gap between the MC-40 and the MC-80 that this seems to fit right into. Maybe a counterpart to the Victory class where the MC-80 is close to an Imperial Class? Or if it is a little smaller, maybe closer to a Dreadnought cruiser. Since it ties into the ShaShore, maybe the LongBeach class?

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Assault Frigates seem to be souped-up Dreadnought cruisers- I could see them as playing the role of counterpart to Victory-class, post-Endor.

Pre-Endor, maybe it would make sense for the Mon Cals to have at least something.

16. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Assault Frigates really weren't meant to soup up Dreadnoughts to Victory levels, but to take old dreadnoughts and fix the problems of slow speed and massive crew requirements.

May want to continue this line in the Fleet Junkie thread though.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh cool, we have a Fleet Junkie artist!

18. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    Fleet junkies usually hang out together. Where has this guy been? (closeted fleet junkie)

19. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Sean Cooke is well known to many of us older Fleet Junkies. He literally designed on his own the main starships from Legacy and it was apparent that he did his research on creating logical sucessors to the Original Trilogy's iconic vessels. In my book, he is a hero!

--Adm. Nick

20. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
  21. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Cularin? Living Force, after all these years?

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I hope they go to the Dark Falls!

Gorefiend and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  23. Django Fett33

Django Fett33 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 19, 2013
    the cover looks absolutely AMAZING! im def getting this issue.

24. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Hopefully it's identified as the cruiser Helter Skelter, in that case.

25. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Son of a Bantha! I just realized that I will be flying to Houston on a business trip the day this comes out. One of you better post cool pics of the battle for me so that I can at least get my fix. :p

--Adm. Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.