main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #12: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon, part 5 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Nov 12, 2015.

1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    "Kill the pretty boy!"

An apt description for 1970s Hamill.[face_tee_hee]

3. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    "Where's Luke?" How meta.

4. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    And more buff than he appeared too. [face_batting]
    [​IMG]

SilentGuy66 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    He actually has a slight look of Christopher Reeve to him, there.

Weird.

. . .

And now I'm imagining the cast of a PT that was made immediately following RotJ . . .

[​IMG]

Call me crazy but I think it might've worked!

6. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Looks like the gang is coming back together and if you ask me that's what made the first three issues so great :)

Also, hope we get a shot of Dengar's hand coming out the rubble at some point since he's clearly alive in ESB

Rou-eru likes this.
  7. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    A great ending to the smuggler's moon arc with some brilliant moments.

It looks like Sana is gone (Good riddance I say) Vader's Fist is canonised along with the concept of non-human stormtroopers (sure to generate debate) and we had the main 4 wield lightsabers. What's not to like?

8. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    SilentGuy66, I wouldn't say Sana is gone. She still wants what she's owed, but if she's smart, she'll realize there is nothing to gain monetarily from Han, but it would be cool to see her join the Rebellion.

Since I'm not versed in "Legends" material, is Vader's Fist an old reference?

Question to everyone:
    So is Sergeant Kreel (two E's one L) anyone we have met before? The name looked familiar, but then I remembered there was Pong Krell (one E two L's) which was the Jedi turned Sith in the Clone Wars with the four arms and the two double bladed lightsabers.

My thoughts:
    + R2D2 giving everyone lightsabers - awesome!
    + Sana coming clean on her real last name (Starros)
    - Dengar appearing to be blown up, but we know from ESB that he survives
    - Luke getting Obi-wan's journal back, but not any closer to any answers

Very enjoyable issue overall!

9. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    What, they canonized Vader’s Fist?! OH GOD YESSSSS I ******* love you Aaron!!

darklordoftech and Darth_Pevra like this.
  10. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    TiniTinyTony In Legends "Vader's fist" is what the 501st became known as within the imperial army. It's good because it was a cool nickname and it shows how badass the 501st even after the clone war

CooperTFN and darklordoftech like this.
  11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Thanks for the explanation. It is a cool name. So is Kreel like the "Hand of the King"?

12. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    after seeing Luke take on the Stormtroopers in the issue and in Shattered Empire, Part IV shows me how far Luke had progressed in only four years time. Seeing the Core Three and Chewie using lightsabers? that was cool.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Damn this issue was epic! My mouth was literally gaping from so much awesome.

The gamemaster! Vader's Fist! Man, he is one of my favorite EU characters already and I would take this stormtrooper any day over the Rebels Inquisitors.
    Grakku is a Marvel villain but a pretty damn fine one. I'm happy he is alive.
    The whole crew using Jedi lightsabers! Leia turns out to have a natural knack for it.
    Those last panels with Vader, omg.
    Everything just erupting into glorious, glorious chaos after a certain point.

This may have been the most fun issue of the whole series.

14. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

You know, I used to hate people calling published SW work „bad official fanfiction“ but that scene was too close to the mark to feel like anything else, [face_sigh] also they now better have a really good explanation why Luke does not use one of those sabres instead of building one of his own.

15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Funny chaotic occasionally ridiculous scenes are SW DNA.

How's Luke supposed to use the sabers if they're now Vader's property?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    I hope we get some clarification in the next issue on how we go from escaping Nar Shadda to Luke being stationed on Vrogas Vas

17. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

I mean the ones Leia, Han and Chewie actually use, doubt they just throw them away. ;)

18. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

Yeah, there's a perfect lead-in from the last issue of Vader to Vader Down, but it seems a bit of a narrative leap from the end of SW to Vader Down. Not sure where that Vader scene at the end of this issue of SW fits into the DV narrative.

19. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    I was wondering about that too. Right now it makes the most sense to me that the second arc of Star Wars takes place chronologically before the second arc of Vader. Right after Vader appears momentarily in SW #12 he heads to Tatooine.

20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Taalcon

Was wondering the same thing. My guess is that it happened during Vader #12.

Still it's not a big issue. Constructing your own saber is a right of passage, Luke may simply not want to use the saber of a dead Jedi. Unless it is the weapon of his father, of course.

But maybe I should expect you making a mountain out of a molehill.

21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Oh I know it is, but now they have to create a source that actually says exactly that just to cover this little, somewhat pointless, quirk.

[:D]

22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    No they don't, that's nonsense.

23. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Loved this issue, especially the last few pages. [face_love]
    It was strange to see Leia AND Han with lightsabers, but I loved his mention of old wizard.
    It was good to see Leia and Sana being friendly with each other instead of the overused jealous characters.
    The Gamemaster is an interesting character but I thought he was an ISB agent and not a stormtrooper, I hope we see more of him because it is not every day we see stormtroopers with actual competences in this new canon.
    As for the timeline, there is obviously a time jump between SW#12 and VD#1, and we learn in DV#11 Luke is already in Vrogas Vas so my guess is that the second arc of DV is happening after SW.

La Calavera and Darth_Pevra like this.
  24. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Oh they can of course just ignore, but it makes the whole thing even sillier then it actually is

25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    It's not an issue because it's self-explanatory. I'm not of the Wookieepedia school of thought that every little detail must be explained.