main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #12: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon, part 5 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Meh, I don't see a problem with them not taking these lighstabers, the only reason they took them was because their blasters didn't work in the arena so it's not so hard to imagine they don't take those with them just like they can't take the holocrons as well but as we can see, they were kind of in a hurry so as far as I am concerned, there is no problem.

cwustudent and Darth_Pevra like this.
  2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Yes because you came up with an explanation for yourself on the spot to fix the obvious plot hole that could so easily be avoided anyway if the comic did not so badly want to have a "cool scene" for the sake of the "cool scene"

But they are already holding them in their hands ;)

Yep, but they would have to go and get those, unlike the Sabres they already have.

3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I really wonder how you can stomach Rebels.

Do you even know what a plothole is? There is nothing illogical about Luke building his own weapon even if there are other sabers available.

4. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Yeah but it's not like they will have to us them any longer, and Luke already has recuperated his father's lighstaber, why would he use them for ?

5. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Alien Stormtroopers?
    Where was that in this issue?

6. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Sergent Kreel (the Gamemaster) is a stormtrooper, and he has red skin so I suppose he is an "alien". [face_dunno]

Gorefiend likes this.
  7. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Easily ;)

Yes but there is also now no reason why he ever would need to since there are now 3 spare sabres just sitting around for no good reason. [face_dunno]

Replacement sabre after Bespin? When he loses his against Vader.

8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I should not have fed the troll. Goodbye.

BigAl6ft6 and CnlSandersdeKFC like this.
  9. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    If he wants to be a Jedi knight, he would have to build his own lighstaber with his crystal just like it was showed in TCW, which is probably written somewhere in Obi-wan's journals. In the last few issues, he doesn't even believe to be a Jedi, yet.

10. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Would of course be the easiest fix, like Pevra mentioned, still seems really silly for him to just have spare sabres sitting around now, though it at least saves him the hassle of having to hunt down a green sabre crystal, if he already has two. Though that would of course still sabotage the whole tracking down a crystal and tuning it to him that is supposed to be part of the trial that goes with building your own sabre. [face_sigh]
    The whole thing is just so silly, especially for the sake of such a pointless scene, in a pretty pointless comic.

11. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    the Skirmish in Grakkus arena reminded me of the Arena scene in AOTC. It was cool to see all of those lightsabers.

CooperTFN and Taalcon like this.
  12. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    A Sith-descendant race?

CooperTFN likes this.
  13. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Who knows if he will not go into a quest to find a kyber crystal? it's after ESB we still have time to tell that story, I hope we'll see Professor Huyang I love that droid.

Gorefiend likes this.
  14. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    There were somethings I liked about this issue.

The wackiness of giving the entire OT cast lightsabers was fun.

Overall though this felt very underwhelming, especially with the "reveals" if you can call them that.

The identity of the Gamemaster is the most disappointing part of the issue. Why all this build up just to tell us he's a stormtrooper? Was he also a clone? That'd have been nice, except I don't see why they wouldn't have revealed his face after the revel was made. I think this was a huge missed opportunity to show us another fallen Jedi, and add a cool spin to the title's baddie line up. Especially if he had been a certain Jedi Knight with a shady past, and a kick ass facial tattoo. Am I missing a reference here? Is "Sergeant Kreel" someone I should be familiar with?

Also the Sana reveal, can I say anti-climatic? I mean... that was 8 months of us being like "Who is this chick?" I really hope they get a good writer on this once Aaron is gone. So far this series has been painful, and full of missed opportunities.

Um... Kreel is defiantly a very human, tan skinned.

Gorefiend likes this.
  15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I look forward to seeing more of Sergeant Kreel's adventures.

16. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    Immonen draws a mean Vader!

[​IMG]

17. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    Agree. Immonen Vader is great. Can't wait to see him draw the whole Vader cast.

BigAl6ft6 and darklordoftech like this.
  18. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Can this Kreel might be an Inquisitor ? Though Vader called him Sergeant, so it's a low possibility...

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, this issue was ridiculous- but in a good way. I think it's safe to say this is the first issue of the series that I've actually loved. The Sana stuff still is the lowpoint of the issue/arc but everything els was crazy.

When Artoo went to grab Luke's saber, I was like "Ok, there's no reason he shouldn't have grabbed more than one saber!" Only for events to result in the other 3 main characters using those other sabers. I was laughing because it is so ridiculous and rides right up against the line of bad without crossing it, so it remains fun.

Not so fun, though? The incredibly stupid reason they were forced to use lightsabers. Have we ever had any evidence of blaster rifles being effected by EMP blasts? That seems like a really stupid design flaw for a weapon even if you ignore the Empire emerged from a war where their own troops were deploying EMPs as standard issue weapons against droids. If the clones's rifles had been susceptible to the same attacks they were unleashing upon battledroids and droidekas, that wouldn't exactly be a smart tactic.

The stuff with Battletoad the Hutt/Grakkus and Kreel was good too (especially Grakkus's declaration of how he was the most dangerous thing in the arena). Though it seems odd that Grakkus would weapon live lightsabers around his neck- that seems like it would be asking for an accident or assassination attempt. Also I'm surprised Grakkus wasn't more effective after he was de-Mojo'd given Hutts aren't exactly immobile creatures.

I did like the arena spectator betting on whether or not Grakkus would eat somebody- I wonder if that was a throwback nod to the Jabba the Hutt DHC series of one-shots?

The Imperials were also pretty impressive. At first it seemed kinda stupid that they'd be using TIE Fighters as transportation to the arena for deploying troops, but I have to admit it was pretty cool seeing Imperial pilot commandos in use.

20. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    He says he's a stormtrooper.

I wonder if the Gamemaster isn't in some way related to a certain kind of stormtrooper we see in the latest TFA commercial.

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    Wow this comic has finally found it's groove. The plot was goofy, fun, and memorable.

22. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    What a fun issue, the whole rescue felt like the Death Star scenes in ANH. Shame that's the last we'll see of Immonen's SW work for a while.

The Kreel twist was great, I hope he hounds Luke in this series!

La Calavera and darklordoftech like this.
  23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Kreel is easily the most interesting original character in this series so far. I hope he becomes Aaron's Aphra.

La Calavera likes this.
  24. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Though still far behind Grakkus of course.

25. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Yeah the fan service was way too much in this issue. Kind of disquieting to see Marvel fall so deep into it only 12 issues in. Between that and the Sana Solo thing I'm hoping this series picks up in upcoming issues. There's a lot of talent here between the art and moments of the writing, I just wish it wasn't being overshadowed by some incredibly dumb decisions.

Gorefiend likes this.