main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #16: Rebel Jail, part 1 (of 4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Feb 12, 2016.

1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    F Yu-our eyes! [face_devil]

(note: The F stands for Francis!)

The2ndQuest , BigAl6ft6 and spicer like this.
  3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Good start so far. The art is great, but I wish it was a little better in parts.

What I found interesting:
    Sana and Aphra have a history.
    There seems to be a different bounty hunter with a new crew going after the doc that we didn't see Vader address in his last issue. Or maybe we're supposed to think they're after Aphra, but they are there to break someone else out.
    Looking forward to more Luke and Han story, liked what I saw so far.

What I didn't get:
    Not really understanding what's happening in these panels with the bounty hunter crew: "I have looked into the heart of the sun and lived. Now they must all do the same."

If this arc is called Rebel Jail, I wondering how long they'll actually be there. I can see someone sending it into the sun in the next issue. :)

4. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    So does this arc take place a few weeks after Vader Down?

Or
    Was there a time skip at some point during the story as Leis says that Aphra had been questioned by Rebel commanders for weeks

Also was I the only one who got Harley Quinn vibes off Aphra this issue, you know homicidal female accomplice put in jail acting all playful while at the same time menacing......

5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

If Harley is half as good with tech as Aphra then it's no wonder that Arkham can never hold her.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  6. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Pretty decent issue of Star Wars 7/10 :)
    +Sunspot Prison looks awesome :D
    +The new Bounty Hunter both looks and sounds badass :cool:
    +Is Aphra just playing tough or does she really think that Vader will let her live ? [face_laugh]
    +Interesting plot, maybe the Bounty Hunter wants revenge on the warden ? He says that he has looked into the sun before, so he might've been a former captive [face_thinking]
    -/+ Sana is back.... yay ? [face_plain]
    -/+ I'm a little split about the art in this arc :/

Favorite Quote of the Issue
    ''I have looked into the heart of the sun and lived. Now they must all do the same'' - Unknown Bounty Hunter

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    [​IMG]

8. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    This issue was further proof to me that, now Star Wars Ep VII: The Adventures Of Rey is out, star wars is really starting to make it's female characters more important and useful than their male counterparts.

Case in this issue: FEMALE Princess Leia needs FEMALE Sana's help with FEMALE Aphra who is capable of beating up a dozen MALE guards while in binders. MALE warden underestimates Aphra's skills at escaping. Only the FEMALE Leia and Sana actually see the threat she poses. Meanwhile the MALE Han and Luke get duped and lose all their money during a small supply pickup after five minutes alone.....

Skywalker2B, DelRiego and spicer like this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So it's Star Wars: Voyager then? [face_devil]

10. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    If that's the case who's the incompetent commander? Who's the annoying cook? Who's the second-in-command from an ethnic minority?

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Doesn't matter - all you need to do make the women better and stick one of 'em in a catsuit!

12. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014

An aspect that usually annoys me whenever someone tries to promote female characters. Apparently the only way to do that is to make everyone who isn't female incompetent and/or useless. This isn't always the case and this issue certainly isn't even in the top 100 list of worst offenders but it's still an annoying writing trend that I wish would **** off already.

13. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Actually, it tends to happen anytime someone wants to promote a certain type of character that's usually in minority. It's not just about women. Look at Disney's Maleficent, for example: they couldn't find a way to make her likable or at least somewhat sympathy-inducing, so they made every one else in the movie either dowright evil or incredibly stupid. Promoting a character type that's usually left behind is something that really must be done, but it's hard not to make it anvilicious.

14. ekrolo2

Jun 17, 2014

I know it's not just about women, I've just had the unfortunate luck where most of the cases ARE involving female-centric stories where the males must have the IQs of rock who got kicked in the head by horses lol.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You've been reading Jordan and Goodkind, haven't you?

16. ekrolo2

Jun 17, 2014

Who and what?

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time and Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth.

WoT starts off OK then goes off the rails after book 6 and never recovers, Goodkind's stuff goes nuts far earlier and stays that way.

JediFett10 likes this.
  18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh hey, there's one of those front-mouthed Ithorians in this issue. Neat.

19. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    So now Sana has a secret history with Aphra who's being hunted by Chanath Cha who has history with Lando who is old buddies with Han who fake-married Sana. The circle has been completed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The2ndQuest and JediFett10 like this.
  20. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    So were Sana and Aphra partners or were they........partners......?

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  21. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Yep, an Ottegan. And there's also one of those Stennes Shifter-like guys.
    [​IMG]

22. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    This makes me think that Aphra does need her own series as she is officially going to take over whichever book she goes into. The people at Marvel obviously really enjoy writing her.

DelRiego and Aphra like this.
  23. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    Thank god they finally got a decent artist on this series! ^:)^

spicer likes this.
  24. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Yu is amazing, but Immonen and Deodato nailed it as well.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Good issue but the art is inconsistent, especially for Sana who changes skin color from a panel to another.[face_dunno]

DelRiego likes this.