main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #17: Rebel Jail, part 2 (of 4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Sana is no Salla Zend!

2. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I was literally just thinking last week that it'd be cool to have diverse new neutral characters with motivations other than money and it'd be cool to see Star Wars Punisher

3. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Hm, strangely I’m not that engaged in the Leia’s part of the story. I though it came off a bit over the top and the team-up felt forced? I’m not entirely convinced that in that entire prison, Leia thought that the number one Vader fangirl aka Aphra, who could just simply kill her and flee on her own, would be a good idea for a temporary ally.
    The part with Han and Luke is hilarious though.

4. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    While the new villain is very cool and interesting, this whole arc is feeling pretty bland to me 5/10 [face_dunno]
    +The new Bounty Hunter is as I just said very cool and his speeches are pretty interesting
    +The art is excellent
    +Han and Luke becoming Nerf herders [face_laugh]
    -The story feels so bland and forgettable, all I can remember is the Luke/Han story and that Leia freed Aprha
    -Freeing Aphra was a pretty stupid decision by Leia

I have no favorite quote in this issue, so instead I'll reveal my smilie grading scale in case anyone cares
    1-:mad:2-[face_frustrated] 3-:( 4-:oops: 5-6 [face_dunno] 7-8:) 9-:D 10-[face_party]

fett 4 and LelalMekha like this.
  5. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    The Leia/Aphra team-up is definitely forced, but I can buy the logic behind it. Leia doesn't want to just let her prisoners get slaughtered. Releasing Aphra is a bold and sort of reckless action that will take her opponent by surprise.

What Aaron is doing is very Marvel. It's fun and entertaining and borderline ridiculous. It's also a huge step up from the stuffy nostalgia that characterized the early part of his run.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah I do enjoy Leia's stuff as things keep getting worse and worse and Aaron does a great job of slowly tightening the vice and upping the stakes. It's worth it just for that and also Aphra making snarky comments.

But I will say, oddly, even though the page count totals only, like, 4 pages, the Han & Luke stuff I flat-out love, just because it has a cool callback to Luke selling the Falcon by parroting what Han said in ANH, Luke taking on a smuggling gig more for the greater good and profit, and I also love how every time we cut back to Han & Luke things keep getting progressively more ridiculous (the Nerfs in the cockpit panel was genius). The actual Rebel Jail of Rebel Jail is pretty dark stuff but even just with a few pages, I love seeing Han & Luke bicker and get in a fairly silly situations.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    At this point in my catch-up reading, I'm sharing the same theory as to who this bounty hunter villain is. The Luke/Han stuff is amusing but really needs to add up to something soon because it does feel like a filler moment every time we cut away. Sana is amusing here. I didn't really care for her when she was introduced (but that could mostly be because of how they drew out that particular gag/subplot) but her dry responses here and suggested Aphra connection has at least made her an interesting inclusion.