main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars #17: Rebel Girl, part 3 (of 4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gorefiend, Feb 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    [​IMG]

The Locals are not friendly, well are we not all surprised? [face_sigh]Though digging their outfits though, since they look like they could belong to a real army.

2. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Luke looks like he's getting kick by a Unitoligist soldier from Dead space 3

3. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Luke tries to stop his assailant with... vigorous jazz hands?

4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Or like a Helghast.

In short, people with goggles and gasmasks are always evil.

...except NCR Rangers.

5. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Edit:
    And the Washington DC branch Brotherhood of Steel as well

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Hey guys, remember when Star Wood was a thing?

7. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Is this the final issue of the Star Wood saga ?

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nope, think it's going up to #20.

As to that cover, wait a sec, ah, just as I thought, it isn't by Sean Cooke!

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  9. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    My thoughts first went to Metro 2033, and if that were somehow the case Luke here would be a gigantic idiot having his ass saved by the Polis Rangers

10. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    THIS! IS! ARROCHAR!

Revanfan1, cdgodin, Gorefiend and 2 others like this.
  11. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Why isn't Luke wearing an artic survival suit like everyone else ? Its like he only has the one set of clothes besides the farmboy duds.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Blame Han's influence!

Revanfan1 and Auditor Dredd like this.
  13. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    He at least wears adaptable clothing besides the Corellian bloodstripes and white shirt.

14. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    And what about Chewie? We never see him wear anything else. Does he only have the one bandoleer?

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  15. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    To be fair, the bandoleer is as much function as is fashion for all your combat needs.

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    He's casting Summon Bigger Fish.

It's a pity the story for this comic has sucked so badly, because it's provided us with a ton of great art. Love the cover.

As for the Rebels being uneasy over the wedding, sounds like there's something crooked about the deal. I hope the prince is secretly Bircher* or something.

*who's secretly Seah, who's secretly working for Darth Maul (hey, they haven't officially killed him yet!) and he wants Leia to he can sacrifice her to Waru. Let's just wrap everything up while we're at it. I mean, if you're going to go dumb, go dumb.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  17. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Ice Tuskans?

DelRiego likes this.
  18. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    This story continues to be one bad action movie cliche after the next and there are at least 3 major plot holes in this one that could easily have been avoided by just a little better writing....

But at least there are Lancer frigates ;)

19. Protectorate

Protectorate Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2013
    Well, I guess my hopes for this were unfounded. I still think this story is going to do a class warfare sort of narrative where the oppressed lower classes of Arrochar are going to help the Rebellion, but it appears to be avoiding that for now. That's in favor of an evil vizier trying to take over the government.

I like how the previous story about the Bircher plot didn't explain at all how that "plan" was supposed to work, and then this storyline makes the exact same mistake! Can anyone make sense of this plan at all? The Arrocharan soldiers tell Luke that they're not going to join the Rebellion, they're going to join the Empire! What does that even mean? The previous issues implied that Arrochar had to secretly accept the Rebellion, meaning they were already under the Empire! This story seems to think that the Rebellion and the Empire are equal and competing governments that give pitches to planets or something. Join the Empire? What are they even talking about?

Second, what even IS the plan? The Grand Vizier is planning to betray the Rebellion so that Arrochar can "join the galaxy of planets" (?) under the Empire which will "show Arrochar the respect it deserves". So to do this, he gets the Empire to send him a probe droid bomb so that he can sabotage the wedding of the ruling monarch. First...why the heck would he need the Empire to send him a probe droid bomb that could and did arouse the Rebellion's suspicions? Second, why doesn't he just plant his own bomb? Third, why are you using a bomb in the first place? What is he even trying to do here?

Next, the Grand Vizier sends a group up into the mountains to activate a tower that will signal the Empire to come slag the planet. Seriously? Number one, why would they keep the tower up there? Number two, why can't they just signal from anywhere? Nothing sets this up at all. Number three, why have they waited this long? They've been doing freaking flight training and ship repairs! What is to gain by waiting to spring this trap?

I assume this is some convoluted plan for the insanely EVIL looking bad guy to overthrow the monarch and gain the approval of the Empire, but if so, it's insanely cliche and is way too roundabout of a plan to make any sense.

Beyond this ridiculous plot, we get Obi-Wan speaking to Luke to warn him about the EVIL that surrounds him, but then inexplicably, he cautions Luke to not attack! He actually tells Luke to wait for them to attack first! Not only does this allow these thugs to activate the signal to bring the Empire, but there is absolutely no reason for Luke to wait. What is even the point of Obi-Wan warning him if it does him absolutely no good?

Last complaint, I resent how everyone aside from Leia openly questions her decision to marry this prince. They should all know the importance of this type of allegiance, so to have lines from Han like, "I don't think Leia needs to sell herself off like this" and "Leia's a force of nature, most days I feel she could take on the Empire all on her own and win, so why is this necessary?" is ridiculous. Leia can make her own decisions, and she's freaking royalty! Why does every character treat this like it's so out of character and that she's betraying herself or something? I mean, Luke is a whiny child about it, but at least he's not being a condescending ass about it.

20. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I just can't realize there are only three issues left before it's over. IMHO, there are way too many unfinished arcs to solve before it's all over...

21. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Evil Grand Vizier? You'd think that people would have learnt to just kill them the moment they are chosen. That saves trouble in the long run.

22. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012

[​IMG]
    "I want to become Caliph instead of the Caliph!"

Jedi Ben, Gorefiend and Lugija like this.
  23. Protectorate

Protectorate Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2013

It's also confusing because based on the publisher's summary, next issue will completely wrap up the "wedding" plotline, and the last two issues will have something to do with IG-88. How is that supposed to work?

LelalMekha likes this.
  24. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Had they told us from the beginning that they created the series as an homage to the Dada movement, then I'd understand what's going on.

credar and Gorefiend like this.
  25. Mind Riot

Mind Riot Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 25, 2013
    I don't know why I keep reading this, I feel so stupid. Every issue just gets worse (or really, all the bad things stay while nothing positive gets added,) the only positive about this series is the cover art, which has been consistently fantastic in a way that few other titles have managed over the years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.