main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #18-19: Rebel Jail, parts 3 & 4 (of 4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 21, 2016.

1. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    What happened please?

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Don't see a thread about #19, so I'm just going to edit this thread for now. Maybe I'll merge the thread about the stormtroopers, too, in efforts to finally do that comic consolidation thing.

SensationalSean likes this.
  3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Good issue. I thought the ending was well done (probably agree though that it was the weakest arc so far in the series). I do have to say Aaron's version of Aphra has really grown on me though and I believe I started enjoying her dialogue in this issue about as much as I do in the Vader series.

I do get the impression that they are setting her up to survive the final arc in the Vader series as

Leia mentions to Aphra to come back to them when Vader tries to kill her and they also left the Aphra/Sana romance thing hanging a bit that makes you think they plan on digging deeper into that storyline.

4. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Yeah, this arc was a bit “try hard” and the conclusion was underwhelming. It didn’t feel natural and Leia felt sometimes a bit out of character.
    I think Aaron tried too hard to portray Princess Leia as some kind of superheroine, and I’m not a fan of that. The whole “I don’t kill” superhero trope doesn’t fit Leia imo.
    Not saying she would kill Aphra in exchange, but Leia going through all that insane effort to keep serial killers and other criminals alive – that was a bit too contrived.
    Also, she is not that much of a capable fighter. Which is okay. Not every princess needs to know kung fu. Leia’s skills lie in other areas.
    But anyway, I’m so excited for the next arc with the elite 501st. I’m just a little sad that there is no female soldier in there. Seriously, Star Wars has a frustrating lack of female villains, and the few ones that currently exist in canon are almost all the same Sexy-Cat Seductress type. This is one of the reasons why I’m grateful for Gillen’s input and his diverse cast of female…not-heroes. But I’m still waiting for my scarred, muscled badass female stormtrooper serving under Vader.

5. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    La Calavera it did seem like this arc was just trying to give you that Charlie's Angel's type of vibe. To me I think they wanted to have Sana play a major role in this arc to let the readers know that her and Han truly never were an item and might as well hitch her up with Aphra since she has some backstory that people are really curious about as well.

6. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    Yeah, you probably right. That whole Sana/Aphra really came out of nowhere.
    But since I don’t care about Sana, I was nitpicking more on what Aaron was doing to Leia :p

7. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    what was that with the lightsaber

8. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014

I have no urge to re-read Rebel Jail either, but I'll probably do so whenever I revisit this series. However, I can't wait to re-read Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon! That art, Kreel's introduction - so much win.

Do we know that there isn't? Did anyone know that Phasma was female when we first glimpsed her?

Also, seeing that Kreel is still using a lightsaber was so cool. I can't wait to see him and his squad in action!

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  9. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    Technically no, but I doubt it. Mostly because Aaron said he used Bad Batch as an inspiration – and the concept art made it look like this group was just a Stormtrooper version of it. Plus, I have the feeling that if there was a female in the group, they would promote the heck out of it (much like what happened to Phasma).
    But I would love to be wrong about this.
    I'm still wondering if Kreel is Force-sensitive.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  10. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    [face_plain]
    There goes my hope for it. If you want to take inspiration from something in that direction, at least take it from something good like What Sin Loyalty?, To the Last Man, The Wrong Side of the War etc. not one of the more stupid TCW arcs.

11. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Bad Batch was one of the best TCW arcs IMO so having a comic inspired by it is no problem for me.

vncredleader and DelRiego like this.
  12. Devizz

Devizz Jedi Master star 3

Apr 30, 2014
    I read the comic just after finishing Bloodline and enjoyed it even more than I thought I would, probably partly due to Leia being the main protagonist. Also, Eneb is back! Star Wars Annual is still my favourite comic EVER, I loved it so much when I read it for the first time.

Eneb really reminds me of Ransolm.

13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Am I the only one who really enjoyed that arc? I think that juxtaposing all these different ethical and moralic stances gave it some depth that isn't your usual action comic fare. It makes sense to me that Leia is afraid of crossing the line of killing prisoners and what it would do to her. She doesn't want to become the monsters that she is fighting. There's a dark side to Leia that got challenged in this arc as well as in Vader Down. The setting greatly adds to the grim atmosphere of the arc.

Also, the interaction between all these different women was a lot of fun. I love the holy trinity as well, but this different teamup allowed the writers to show Leia under different circumstances.

Todd the Jedi and DelRiego like this.
  14. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    As a side note, I'll just say that I'm still not used to see continuity notes in a Star Wars comic. I know it's pretty common in superhero stories, but it's never been done before in Star Wars as far as I know. It's a bit jarring when, in the middle of a story, an editor pops up and tells you "Hey, be sure to read that other book if you wanna know more!"

15. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    The old Star Wars Marvel comics actually did that as well. ;)

LelalMekha likes this.
  16. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    True enough. But I came to regard this as a form of early installment weirdness, since most pre-reboot Star Wars comics were made by Dark Horse.

17. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Got to admit, this looks real promising :D

[​IMG]

18. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Hasbro should bring back the comic packs. These guys deserve their action figures.

19. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Woah Woah hold the phone. Can't pick this up until tomorrow at least, but Aphra x Sana is a thing now? Can someone elaborate?

20. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yes they make it very apparent that Aphra and Sana used to be sexual partners and Sana got burned (sounds like Aphra is the love 'em and leave 'em type)

21. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Whoah! I must have missed the explanation
    that Aphra and Sana are lesbian partners?!

Can someone point out where in the issue it's said?

22. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    It wasn't openly mentioned, but heavily implied that they were an item.

23. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014

And a video game. I'd buy them so fast!

Karl0413 likes this.
  24. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    Not gonna lie, I'm over the moon that my namesake and I have this particular quality in common, especially given that I knew nothing about her besides her face, her name and her occupation when I christened myself here.

25. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    I guess Vader x Aphra fanfiction is now dead :(

JediFett10 likes this.