main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #18-19: Rebel Jail, parts 3 & 4 (of 4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 21, 2016.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

I think if Gillen does much more with her character after the Vader series it will just be detailing more of her backstory. For instance showing in detail that story that she shared in Vader issue #10. If Aphra survives the Vader series I think it will be up to Aaron to continue on her future story arc.

2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I still think Aphra is attracted to Vader and therefore bisexual.

She doesn't dominate, that's just hyperbole. A lot of the comic series don't even feature her. But she definitely left a footprint and could become one of the cornerstones of the new EU. I would welcome that. We need cool characters outside of movie characters.

I am hoping that she helps Vader in some way and in return Vader makes a "I won't kill you" deal if she keeps her mouth shut about his shady dealings. Aphra would then be an independent operator who of course can have run-ins with the Empire and the Rebellion. Like you I seriously hope they don't whitewash her into some kind of hero. That's not who she is and what she believes in.

3. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I wonder if Aphra does become a recurring character in the main series, that there'll be a one off flashback issue to her past between arcs at one point? Or maybe Star Wars Annual #2?

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, there's probably no 'maybe' about a Star Wars Annual #2, but as to its content...

5. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Until told otherwise I will read all characters as bisexual. It gives many more possibilities and lets everybody enjoy something.

SilentGuy66 and Jedi Princess like this.
  6. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    So is Eneb Ray escaping at the end when he pulls out his tooth or is he committing suicide of some kind?

7. vstarvan

vstarvan Jedi Master star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    There seems to be some kind of key hidden in the tooth, so I'd say he's breaking out.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    i really enjoyed the last two issues of this arc. Eneb forcing the moral quandry onto Leia was, IMO, a very strong theme and the issues did a great job of conveying that sense of desperation at being unable to save the prisoners being executed (and Eneb's helmet and armor are badass too, so that's a big plus with SW ;) ). I even enjoyed the Sana/Aphra banter (and I'm glad they made their past relationship a thing, otherwise the hints in the earlier issues would have just been awkwardly ambiguous anomalies).

The only weakpoint was the Han/Luke subplot filler. Great banter about flying the Falcon and all, but there was so very little point to it. I feel like the story would have been just as strong if it were the Warden or another Rebel or prisoner being threatened. Eneb would still be forcing the same choice upon Leia and Leia's actions wouldn't be any different than they would be for Luke or Han. Heck, had it been Sana at gunpoint, the drama would potentially be even higher as not killing Aphra to save Sana would potentially further tension between Leia and Sana.

A little disappointed, but not surprised, that Eneb went semi-badguy here. But a solid, very capable, rogue anti-hero at large will hopefully be very interesting.

Overall, I found this arc to be stronger than Skywalker Strikes (no been-there-done-that vibe) and tighter than Smugglers Moon (the Han/Luke filler here was nowhere near as bad as the Sana/marriage subplot- even if the showdown in the arena of Battletoad the Hutt was cooler).

BTW, were we supposed to recognize the "Jedi" Eneb killed? I'm assuming that's where the lightsaber that the "Battleground: Tatooine", 90's-style stormtrooper found on the station came from?

9. theorenwulf

theorenwulf Jedi Master star 2

Jul 12, 2015
    The guy Eneb killed was a Jedi hunter, not a Jedi. The stormtrooper was probably Sgt. Kreel from "Showdown on the Smugglers Moon" and the lightsaber was most likely his own,

The2ndQuest likes this.