main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #18-19: Rebel Jail, parts 3 & 4 (of 4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I don't know how Han borrowing Rebllion's money is somehow ruining his path to become a better person, I mean we"re still a few months after ANH at best, I don't expect him to change that quickly.

BigAl6ft6 and Darkspellmaster like this.
  2. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Han may not have to change but the writers seriously need to get him off his ass and make him do something cool. Han hasn't had a "moment" since issue 2 when he drove that imperial walker (even then he crashed it).

Also, no the upcoming Han Solo mini doesn't count. I'm referring to the main series.

I hope the next major arc has Han at the forefront considering that so far the first two arcs focussed mostly on Luke, the current arc is Leia's. I think it's only fair we maybe get an arc with just Han and Sana or something like that.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, he crashed it - after trying to stomp Darth Vader!

Come on, give him full credit - no one had tried that. Even Vader had to be going: "No way!"

BigAl6ft6 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  4. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    We've already got the 'No Disintegrations' reference out of the way in DV. Can't be too much longer before Han ends up doing stuff on Ord Mantell.

5. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Regardless of how cool Han's moment was in issue 2 it was over 17 issues ago, I think we can all agree he's overdue for another one.

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, he does need something after those 5 issues of Sana.

Immonen illustrated the hell out of them, but even he can't make that a good story strand.

7. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    I haven't been a big fan of Han's portrayal in this series either. It seems like Jason Aaron is big on ramping up Han's questionable qualities (and his ***hole qualities) without any of the charm. Him gambling away the Alliance's money and not getting it back was bad. Really bad.

Otherwise, the Luke/Han storyline has been fun filler.

This issue was very good.

vncredleader and SilentGuy66 like this.
  8. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    I thought this was a nice transition issue. Pieces are being put into place and characters are being developed. This should read well in trade.

What I love about this arc is the mood. Sunspot prison always feels oppressively, sickeningly hot. It works well with the prison attackers' sickening morality.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I liked this issue and definitely interested to see who the new character is going to be. No way is it going to be Ezra as their is no chance they would reveal his future to us now when there is potentially more than one season of Rebels left.

At first I wasn't a big fan of how Jason Aaron wrote Aphra but it is starting to grow on me. Aphra in this series seems a little more psychotic than she does in the Vader series. Gillen tends to give her more humor than Aaron does but he also doesn't really write her as a outright villian like Aaron has been.

And welp. There goes the Aphra is Rey's mom shipping down the tubes.

10. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    The whole point of the Vader series is to make the "baddies" look like they are "good" (from a certain point of view) so it makes sense that Aphra is more black and white in the main series.

spicer likes this.
  11. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yeah it's no surprise that Aphra comes across as moderate when she's contrasted with sociopaths like T-Z, Cylo and so on. Vader is also a pretty darn ruthless bastard.

BigAl6ft6 and spicer like this.
  12. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    I can buy that Aphra tones it down when she's around Vader. Survival method.

LOL on this proving Aphra isn't Rey's mother. The funny thing is, I could buy Aphra leaving her kid with a cruel junkyard boss.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No, she's just trying to get people to focus on the mission. It's what leaders do. They can waste time bickering later.

You don't call Garvin Dreis a b-word for saying "cut the chatter," do you? So why would you say that about Leia?

She does, however, have a lot of Anakin in her. Yes. It's good to see that being recognized by writers.

See: Star Wars Trilogy, The. This is Leia. She takes charge and doesn't suffer fools. Or foolishness.

She's a leader. Her royal upbringing surely had something to do with the expectation of being obeyed, but she IS good at what she does and she IS right. Her imperiousness isn't just her putting on airs.

I dunno about all of you, but I was delighted by Leia this issue. :p

14. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I liked the fact that Aphra and Sana weren't so quick to follow Leia's lead since they are closer to Han's age while Leia is only 19 (or 20 depending on how long after Ep. IV this is intending to take place).

Leia while I definitely find her more interesting and believable than Padme's characterization she is still probably one of my least favorite characters of the Star Wars universe. Which is why I'm much more interested in seeing what Aphra and Sana say and do in these issues.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  15. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    One meeting I would love too see now is Aphra encountering Ahsoka. What Vaders sidekicks would think of the other would be interesting.

Han is 33 in ANH, I doubt Aphra is that old, I was thinking more mid 20's

16. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Nah I think she'd be about 30sh. Her memory and knowledge of the war was too good to only be about five at the time.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well of course you would be, you American-wannabe-forelock-tugging-subject. ;)

18. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Honestly I didn't find Aphra to be more evil than in Vader, she still love big weapons that's it. There was nothing wrong with how Leia reacted, I mean two people who can't stop arguing can be pretty annoying if you ask me.

19. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Are we allowed to put images in our signatures? Haha, it's not quite the right shape, but that "EVERYBODY STOP YELLING BUT ME!" panel is begging for it.

Whatever, I'm at least snagging the quote.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Solid issue, thought all the Leia stuff was great and the characterization was spot on. Looking forward to finding out who this guy killing all the prisoners is in relation to Leia.

21. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Like many others, I think we already know who he is. ;)

22. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    It would be fun if it's a complete curveball but yeah think we have a good idea who it is..... still looking forward to the reveal either way.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No sig images allowed, I'm afraid. They won't even display.

Somebody's got to keep up the standards.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I need to catch up on all of these but I enjoyed this issue without having read all of the previous ones.

And Jello nailed my impression of Leia.

A Leia who is not a so-called "*****" would be a Leia who tolerates bull****. Not the Leia I know and love, and I would be disappointed in any author who ever softened her up.

I liked Aphra in the Vader comics and she did not disappoint me here either.

Ginger, Jedi Ben and fett 4 like this.
  25. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I know this may be an unpopular opinion, but this issue (and the new canon in general) made me love Han even more and like Leia even less. I guess she is just not the type of character I enjoy, though Han most definitely is. I loved this issue, and love both Sona and Aphra. I cannot wait to read the next issue, and all those that follow. And I cannot wait to see who the new baddie is. I am still guessing the dude from the annual. I hope he doesn't die though, whoever he is.

SilentGuy66 likes this.