main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #18-19: Rebel Jail, parts 3 & 4 (of 4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 21, 2016.

1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012

Thank the Maker!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  2. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Like a person's canonical orientation has ever stopped fanfiction writers.

Also, there is such a thing as bisexuality. Maybe you've heard of it? I hear it's all the rage with the kids these days.

Also also, gross, it's Vader, gross.

3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    To me (just the personal opinion I had when finding out about Aphra and Sana) was that Aphra would have been the type of person that would do what she needed to do to get what she wanted from someone be it male or female. To me I think there might be something more to the story than Sana simply getting her heart broken. Don't think she would be threatening to kill Aphra if all Aphra did was kick her to the curb.

I think Aphra may have stole from her as well. In anycase them bringing Sana and Aphra paring into the story is another thing that makes me thing they don't have plans of killing Aphra off at this time. We'll have to wait and see though.

revan772 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  4. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Just to be clear on my earlier posts I have NOTHING against either Aphra or Sana being bi sexual or homosexual

However I do think that the story group are making too many characters homosexual and such too fast!

I personally hope for a time in star wars when we'll meet a new character and not instantly assume they are hetero but attitudes can't be changed overnight. Going from Lucas' everyone is straight and (mostly) white approach to Disney's there's no such things as a minority in star wars takes getting used to especially for fans who aren't in minority themselves

In fact I'd be all for star wars introducing autistic characters (such as myself) :)

vncredleader likes this.
  5. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

To me I think the only reason they did make it so Sana likes girls was to give us a definitive answer on the potential Han/Sana thing.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  6. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    I wonder if that's the reason Han knew who Aphra was in Vader Down?

Aphra: I'm Dr Ahpra maybe you've heard of me?
    Han: **** my physco ex's physco ex!

7. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    So... what are the chances for Luphra now?

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  8. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Nah. I think it was mainly because all three of them were for the most part in similar lines of work.

9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Aphra: I'm starting to feel like...this isn't the fight...we should be fighting.
    Sana: Funny how you didn't say that before my hand was on your throat. And I didn't wanna fight. I just want to KILL you.
    Aphra: Okay, okay, you win. I'm sorry, Sana. I really am. I'm sorry about the way I left things. If you were a blaster, I would've know how to deal with you. Blasters I know. But people... AGGHK. You're still choking me. Did you hear what I...
    Sana: You're sorry, huh? I'm show you sorry, Doc.
    [Sana throws Aphra in the anti-grav environment towards Eneb who is choking Leia]

[After the fighting ends, Sana kicks Aphra into an escape pop, letting her go, but saying to herself, "don't ever come back".]
    Leia: So you and her, you used to be...
    Sana: Don't. Don't ask.
    Leia. I'm not asking, I'm just...
    Sana: Don't just. Don't anything.
    Leia: Okay.

10. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

They are making pretty clear that both Sana and Aphra are quite a bit older than Luke. Sana mentions that he isn't old enough to talk to her. So don't think they would be hitching Luke and Aphra up now even if this lesbian storyline never happened.

11. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

And I'm sure Aphra blames her mommy for all her people problems. Edit. Oops sorry. Double post. It's Aphra's fault.

12. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015

Jedi Princess likes this.
  13. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    There've been, what, six characters who are explicitly same-gender attracted since the Disney buy-out? Five women, one of them who was introduced through her relationship with a man, two of whom were ancillary at best, and one man? And all of them confined to the printed page, despite the fact that Star Wars lives for the vast majority of people on the screen. That's really not fast at all. Especially when Star Wars has existed for 39 years.

I think it's unfair to say that Lucas decided "everyone is straight". The fandom has certainly read that into it, but from the movies alone, tell me how straight is Obi-Wan Kenobi, whose only relationships on screen are with other men? How straight is Luke, who had so little experience with love and sex that he mistook the connection he had with his sister for attraction? How straight is Lando, whose actor has stated had a fling with Han Solo? There are only two romantic relationships in Lucas' movies. Romance plays a VERY minor role in Star Wars for everyone except Anakin (and even that is more about Oedipal themes, control and obsession), and sex is practically non-existent.

Jedi Ben and Aphra like this.
  14. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    Oh, I know that Aphra is some years older than Luke, but that still doesn't mean Luphra could never happen. :p

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

15. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Well true. However the only reason they would ever give Luke a wife I think was if he ends up being Rey's Dad. And if say for instance Aphra is in her early thirties (about Han's age) that means she would be almost 50 by the time Rey would be born.

16. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    They're both criminals but Aphra has a "Might Makes Right" outlook on life while Sana has a sense of honor and loyalty. I got a feeling Aphra's betrayal was more than just dumping her. Probably something along the lines of "Sell Sana out to the Black Sun" or something similiar.

17. Devizz

Devizz Jedi Master star 3

Apr 30, 2014
    So Aphra is a bait for Vader now or what? :D

18. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

I'm kind of thinking now the way they set up this issue up that Aphra is going to survive the Vader comic and come back and be a part of the Rebellion to some extent.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  19. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    God I hope not :(
    That takes all the fun and interest out of her character in the first place because she hangs out with Vader rather than the good guys (or she did anyway) and it's not like that hasn't been done a 1000 times previously, the Rouge with a heart of gold cliche.

Darth_Pevra and La Calavera like this.
  20. Devizz

Devizz Jedi Master star 3

Apr 30, 2014

I think they want to use her to get to Vader. If she does ever see Vader again, I think she is very unlikely to survive that encounter, especially when he realizes Alliance is using her to capture/kill him.

21. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
  22. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    I wouldn't say Aphra is "dominating" the marvel series. I mean yeah she's cool and interesting but this decades Boba Fett she aint

23. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    No she's this decade's Mara Jade. :p

24. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

25. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

Lets hope Aphra's author doesn't ruin her by trying to both big her up and white wash her at the same time, like Zahn did with Mara, as that hurt the character.

Sinrebirth and Darth_Pevra like this.