main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation "Star Wars 2: Episode I" instead of "Episode VII"

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by IG_2000, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    How would you feel if they went about numbering it like this?

Since they recently posted a video on youtube called "Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga", they make it seem like the original six movies were one giant self contained story.

Redundant; there is already a "title speculation" thread

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Star Wars Episode 7 Thread 1,200

3. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I guess I don't get why people are so hung up on the numbering. I see it as a reference to the timeline, not a reference to whether it is part of some socalled "skywalker Saga". This is just the 7th episode in the SW chronology is how I interpret it.

Vicious Jedi and Healer_Leona like this.
  4. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    to the OP: No.
    to YodaTaP: Yes.

5. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I interpret it as Episode VII, the first act of the third trilogy in a trilogy of trilogies. Otherwise why say Episode VII? The ST is the closing part of the over-arching Skywalker saga. Star Wars movies after the ST will probably not have roman numerals attached to them, at least that's what the interviews and press releases have led me to believe.

Darth_Martus likes this.
  6. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    Episode 7 is just a working title. Who know what it'll end up as.
    It might not even have an episode number...rather just, Star Wars: "Plot Specific Title"

7. Pimpsy

Pimpsy Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    I think they are going to continue to go with the "Episode VII" thing so that people will flock in like crazy no matter what.

8. AquaVitae

AquaVitae Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 17, 2008
    I like the Roman numeral. It's unique for the SW franchise

Paparazzo likes this.
  9. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    And it provides a sense of continuity with the other films.

10. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    That because they are & disney should stay clear from them. But fans will talk with their feet & wallet. If Disney tries to connect to the Fox movies, they won't get a dime from me. If they do their own thing with the franchise they have my full support.

11. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Episode VII is perfectly fine as it is.

12. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Just hope Disney makes the right choice.

13. fettmaster39

fettmaster39 Jedi Master star 3

Jun 9, 2005
    Whether or not movie #7 ties to the Skywalkers or the previous trilogies, its still the seventh episode of "Star Wars" and should be titled as such.

14. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Odd numbering, Episode VII is perfectly fine.

15. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Lucas explicitly referred to them as 7, 8 and 9 and then further distinguished this sequel trilogy from "other movies." He said something to the effect of having preliminary ideas written out for episodes 7, 8 and 9 and other films.

Episodes 1-6 follow an overarching story that concludes with 6. To go 7, 8, 9 and have it completely unrelated to 1-6 will just seem tacked on and out of place. To really make it fit IMO would be cracking the OT back open and leaving the conflict unresolved for the ST to conclude. If they have nothing to do with what came before, then I don't know what warrants their placement in the numbering scheme but not those other films. And what happens if they make a film that takes place prior to Episode I?

For films unrelated to the saga, I don't think they should denote films with episode numbers.

For instance, if Boba Fett got his own spinoff for example, it could be something like:

STAR WARS

BOBA FETT

HUNTER OF MANDALORE (or some other kind of subtitle)

*Followed by the opening crawl*

The sequel could then be:

STAR WARS

BOBA FETT

*insert some other subtitle*

16. DarthBryan64

DarthBryan64 Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    Lucas met with Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher during Celebration VI and told them about the new movies...sounds to me like we'll be seeing Luke and Leia in some capacity, so calling it Episode VII is perfect in that context. I sure hope that is true, another trilogy with the original characters involved is a slam dunk!!

17. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Was the Clone Wars movie not the 7th one? That was just a spin-off, not part of the main saga otherwise it would have been Episode 2.5

18. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    That's funny, considering until around 1989, 1990, most sequels used Roman numerals.
    I would like to see the numbering downplayed as it was during the Classic Trilogy but the Prequels seemed to be advertised with the sense that most moviegoers were totally confused the whole time.

19. JediMJS

JediMJS Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I think everyone is reading too much into the "Skywalker saga" video. I think they just put it up there so if someone who lives under a rock is like "DISNEY BOUGHT STAR WARS I'VE NEVER SEEN THOSE" they can have a quick briefing on the films.

20. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    This is getting ridiculous. Everything we currently know indicates that this new trilogy IS connected to Episodes I-VI and WILL have tangible links to said episodes in some fashion. Any speculation or statements to the contrary simply do nog match the facts we currently have.

21. AquaVitae

AquaVitae Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 17, 2008
    Really? I guess I never paid attention. I was a young lad, naive and innocent in the 80's

22. Lando8813

Lando8813 Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    My interpretation of a Star Wars movie with the numerals as in Star Wars Episode VII, is it will continue the over arching storyline from Episodes 1-6 and be a true sequel to those stories. I expect it to be tied in with the movies in a major way. If it didn't have the numerals than I would expect it to be different. I think this will be a continuation of the Skywalker story. If it is not and completely seperate from Ep. 1-6 than i will be upset they used the numerals.

23. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    It will be Episode VII, and it will take place post RotJ. The wonderful thing about a universe full of material, you can set the time in any period you want. This could be 1 day after or it could be 100 years after and it will still be Episode VII. Episode XX could be only 5yrs after Episode VII depending on how everything develops. Who knows!

24. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Back to the Future Part II, Back to the Future Part III, The Karate Kid Part II, -Part III, Beverly Hills Cop II, Superman II, Superman III, Superman IV, Ghostbusters II, Star Trek II, Star Trek III and so on, Nightmare on Elm Street sequels, Friday the 13th sequels.
    For the most part, the numbers were mostly used with silly comedies, like Police Academy movies
    Then came the likes of Lethal Weapon 2, Die Hard 2, Robocop 2, FX-2, Terminator 2... I figured it was considered more modern.

25. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    The Episode I, II, III, IV, V etc gets it's roots in the Flash Gordon serials of the 30s. Star Wars at is heart is a serial, and thus will always have the "Episode" moniker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.