main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #21-25: The Last Flight of the Harbinger

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    In time there will be.

Commander Wolffe likes this.
  3. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I'm looking forward to Luke learning more about Yoda indirectly.

Revanfan1 and Commander Wolffe like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I guess the framing story for this will be one of Old Ben's journal entries. I wonder if Luke will learn Yoda's name / is a Jedi Master. I can buy that, actually and I don't think it conflicts with Luke first learning about Yoda from Ghost Ben in Empire. The only card they can't play is Luke learning of what Yoda looks like. But Luke learning of the exploits of a Great Jedi Master named Yoda fits.

JediBatman and Revanfan1 like this.
  5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, it's not like Luke ever said "Yoda, who's that?" In fact, this fits with his line "I'm looking for a great warrior." Obi-Wan never told Luke Yoda was a great warrior on Hoth; he said "the Jedi Master who trained me." So Luke hearing/reading a story about Yoda in action would explain why he feels like Yoda's a "great warrior" when he's looking for him in ESB. I like it.

6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Will this comic finally explain why it took Ben 3 years to tell Luke about Yoda? Why did he suddenly decide right after Luke almost became Wampa lunch? (I've heard some theories that Luke pulling the saber made Ben think it was time and/or Luke near death, and it also plays with "is Luke just crazy and hallucinating" since Ben pops up when Luke is all dopey.)

7. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I think what happened with Anakin made Obi-wan too catutious, and he didn't want to send Luke to Yoda till he was ready (whether that means moving the saber with his mind or some other criteria). And when Yoda meets Luke he seems even MORE hesitant to train him.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's all going to be quite gloriously meta:

Obi's journal will likely talk of Yoda without any visual description, so Luke is still in the dark, but he'll know enough for the name Yoda to have significance.

Revanfan1 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    It's also the first canonical content before TPM.

Revanfan1, SilentGuy66 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I always was hoping the main Star Wars book would jump around in the timeline and it kind of is with this and in between arcs, which I'm happy with. If the book is simply called "Star Wars" you'd figure not every single issue is just about post-Yavin.

11. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    On wookiepedia it says #26 is the start of a new story arc,if that's true I hope it's something like 4-6 parts long considering it'll be canons first foray into the pre-movie history, it shouldn't be rushed.

The fact we're getting a story Pre-TPM is a sign that the folks at Lucasfilm DO listen to fan feedback.

Now all we need is an Old Republic story ;)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. HeatherAntos

HeatherAntos Marvel Comics Assistant Editor VIP

Apr 26, 2016

The idea for the Yoda arc was all Jason Aaron, actually.

But trust me, I'm down for an Old Republic story any day!!!!

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Star Wars #23 Lettered preview:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can't say I'm won over by the art but the lettering does help the flow of the sequences.

14. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    Yeah, the narrative seems cool, but the art is less expressive than Immonen's.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, if you're setting the bar that high Sean, you're bound to be disappointed! [face_laugh]

16. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Star Wars #23
    Book V, Part III
    The Last Flight of the Harbinger

Last time on Star Wars #22...

...Han, Leia, Luke, Chewie, Sana and 200 Rebels were able to steal a Star Destroyer. (A) How did they do it? (B) What do they plan on doing with it?

(A) The first thing #23 does is explain / show how they were able to jettison the main reactor and escape via hyperspace at the same time by the skin of their teeth. Unfortunately, the Hyperdrive is now busted and Han and Chewie are having trouble fixing it which we knew from #22, it just fills in some of the holes with the actual events.

(B) The second thing #23 does is explain / show that Luke and Leia came up with the plan to help the planet of Tureen VII. There is a blockade on the planet which was put there by the Empire because they found out that the citizens of Tureen VII were helping the rebellion. The people of Tureen are starving and Ackbar, Dodonna, and Mothma agree to Luke and Leia's crazy plan.

So after two "days ago" and "more days ago", we're all in the know and on the same page, we are returned to the present. The present? Not much going on. The rebels are still broken down, running out of time, BUT Han and Leia are being Han and Leia and they decide to race through the Star Destroyer to decide who is going to captain the Star Destroyer since the captain is MIA. It's a waste of a lot of panels in my opinion, but true to their character I suppose.

Sana has some dialogue with C3P0 and then later Luke who discover the frozen remains of the captain they were waiting for tied to the front of his ship. (The ship that was shot down at the beginning of #21.) The ship explodes creating a distraction which allows for the Scar Troopers, also from #21, to gain access to the Star Destroyer.

The issue ends on the cliff hanger and I very much look forward to some good action in #24.

EDIT: Luke is randomly for no apparent reason wearing a storm trooper helmet in this issue. It's pretty obvious that it will come in handy in a future issue.

Giovs likes this.
  17. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Good issue. Though the Han and Leia part was a little silly it is pretty accurate for how people who are a little infatuated with eachother tend to act when they are around one another.

The Sana part (and the way they drew her) while talking to 3P0 cracked me up. Seemed like she was thinking about whip cream+Aphra right there.

They set things up very nicely for the next issue and the end of this arc.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  18. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    The Race pretty much destroyed my otherwise high opinion of this series, I was like "Please please let them get to the bridge and find Sana/Luke already there dealing with a dangerous situation just so they can get perspective on how stupid they were both acting."

Definitely gonna skip this issue in future

La Calavera likes this.
  19. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

I didn't have a problem with the race. People who like eachother do tend to act pretty silly around one another at times. It's a way of flirting.

20. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    The race was a bit silly, but it fit Leia and Han's dynamic at this point in the timeline. Sana was fun and the final pages were excellent.

21. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Paging AdmiralNick22, we have a new Rebel fleet shot...with what clearly appear to be DP20 frigates and YKL-37R Nova Couriers!

EDIT: And wow, somebody over on the Wook works very, very fast.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  22. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I'm wondering if we will ever get a backstory detailing the relationship between Sana and Aphra. How they got together and if they were indeed lovers or if it was just another one of those deals gone bad like it was with Sana and Han.

As of now I kind of picture it as a situation that Aphra was just using Sana in some way. If they slept together I get the feeling Aphra may have just been doing it as a way to get what she wanted but she never actually considered herself to be in a relationship with Sana.

23. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    anybody find it "Cold" that Kreel and his band of merry bad guys strapped Admiral Verette's body to the hull of his shuttle? I mean I know the Empire pride itself on being megalomaniacs and what not but that's just wrong on SO many levels.

24. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I haven't read the issue yet but I noticed something stupid in the preview they had on starwars.com (image spoilered for length).

[​IMG]

Are they blockading a planet with TIE FIGHTERS?!?! I hope the Imperial who came up with that idea was choked by Vader. "Now I know when we normally blockade a planet we park some Star Destroyers in orbit and call in a day. BUT what if instead of that we have swarms of TIE fighters constantly, every hour of every day, fly really close to each other, and close to the planet's surface. It will require more manpower, waste more fuel, and complicate things when the TIES have to go back to refuel and make gaps in our security, but it will look really cool!"

I know it's not a perfect analogy (especially since Star Wars' "dog fights in space" logic has always bent the laws of physics a bit), but this is the equivalent of a modern airforce securing restricted air space by having F-22s constantly flying in circles around it. Or a naval blockade that involves zero large ships, but thousands of motor boats.

25. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    I think it's more "they have fighter bases on the planet's two moons and regular patrols of its airspace."

Darth_Pevra likes this.