main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #21-25: The Last Flight of the Harbinger

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Apr 18, 2016.

1. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    True, and I hope that's the case, but the lack of other ships in the planetary establishing shot, and the emphasis on the "orbiting" TIEs made me think they were doing the blockade all by themselves. Now that I think of it regular patrols from smaller military bases might be more efficient if the planet isn't important enough to warrant Star Destroyers, but at that point it's not really a "blockade" so much as an "occupation".

2. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Just consider those two moons as being capital ships for the purposes of this. ;)

AdmiralNick22 and JediBatman like this.
  3. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Okay issue. Nothing spectacular though.

4. GFFAwakens

GFFAwakens Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2015
    Another great issue, in my book. For me, the art was up there with Immonen. When I think about the OT, each film has a different feel to it. ANH is clearly the more fun, wild, space cowboy episode in the trilogy. I think this arc, and this issue in particular, capture the essence of '77 STAR WARS. I'm not sure any "slow-burn" romance will ever top Jim and Pam on The Office, but I at least like how the writers are attempting to show Han and Leia's bickering have just enough of a flirtatious edge to it to let us begin to see how we got to "I know." Luke definitely felt closer to his ANH movie counterpart in this issue; he's capable, but he's young and doesn't know what a duck is (I know, I know, that's the novelization).

The admiral. Wow. I don't really look to SW comics for my oh **** moments, but this was one. Oftentimes comic book cliffhangers are annoying, but I really like how this one ended. They definitely have me looking forward to the next issue.

This is a 5/5 for me.

BigAl6ft6 and iPodwithnomusic like this.
  5. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Found it a bit boring. Wasn’t feeling the dialogue. Especially the line, “that’s not bickering, that’s two people madly in love.” Who says stuff like this?

Why is Luke cosplaying a stormtrooper again?

I really don’t like seeing Leia being physically violent with Han. In the other comic she punched him, here she kicks him. It’s just distasteful. She is not that type of person.
    Also, did Han just almost ran over Leia with a speeder bike? [face_plain]

6. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

I wouldn't necessarily say either one of them were being violent. The scene was a pure flirtation as people with crushes on eachother do tend to act that way from time to time.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Kicked hard enough to be left lying on floor clutching ankle, is a bit harsher than the conventional Slap Slap Kiss romance.

8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    RE: blockade, the point is that the only resource the Rebellion has capable to blasting through it is the Alliance Navy, but as Dodonna says it's too risky. Yes, most of us hear "blockade" and assume a line of Star Destroyers, but maybe a better analogy is that the Empire's created a super dense "no fly zone" over the world. This is still early post-Yavin, the Alliance is really just now coming into it's own. The fleet isn't the size of what the Rebel's can amass for Endor, plus it is still too risky to use it as if the Empire is alerted the Rebels may have to fight there was OUT of the system through a true blockade of Star Destroyers.

I'll also add it is entirely possible that those two moons are armed with anti-orbital turbolasers and ion cannons, which makes these a formidable gauntlet for the Alliance Navy to charge. Let's not forget, the whole point of the Rebel Fleet was to grow in size and strike where the Empire was weakest, not charge into risky battles. It's still canon that the only time the Alliance felt it prudent to risk their entire fleet was at Endor, because the threat of DSII and the gain in killing Palpatine was just too great.

--Adm. Nick

Cracian_Thumper and JediBatman like this.
  9. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I agree on the point of Leia being too violent with Han. I mean if she kicks him in the shin when he proposes a race why did she choose to call him a "Scruffy looking nerherder" in ESB instead of just kneeing him in the balls?

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    He proposed a race? I thought it was a case of her simply trying to hurt him enough to delay him so she could get to the bridge first and ensure he could no longer issue orders.

Going by the little I've seen in the Han & Leia in EU thread, it became an impromptu race when Han turned out to be not as incapacitated as Leia was hoping - but it was never a case of "I'll race you for the position of captain".

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You kick me in the legs, I run you over with a speeder, fair?

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  13. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I'll reserve final judgement until I actually read the issue to see how violent it is, but the whole "Slap Slap Kiss" Romance trope, especially when it escalates to physical violence, usually bothers me. Like charging through airport security to declare your true love for the female lead, or interrupting someone else's wedding to declare your love for the bride, it's one of those things that fiction depicts as being overwhelmingly romantic while in real life its a symptom of a dysfunctional relationship.

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012

I can just about forgive it in Liar Liar since it was an ex-husband (and, more importantly, a father) who'd spent the whole movie having a character epiphany about how bad he'd been, his repentance, and commitment to change. And not declaring romantic love for wife, so much as parental love for son.

15. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    I liked the newest issue, nothing special, I liked the task force 99 tease at the end. Will be exciting to see what is to become of that star destroyer.

16. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    I really like this arc so far, and am really excited for the next issue. I though it was weird how Luke was wearing the helmet without explanation, but other than that I liked this issue.

17. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I was like that's ezra bridger's stic.

18. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Clearly the helmet will probably play a part in the upcoming story, maybe the ship gets depressurised and Luke is the only one left unaffected ergo making him the Harbinger's only defence against SCAR squad?

19. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I agree, it's very out of character for an Alderaanian princess/senator. Has she not learned manners and control?

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I liked this issue as a change of pace, it's definitely more of a comedy issue than before but Rebel Jail did have Han & Luke funny stuff the overall vibe of Rebel Jail is real dark. Also it's kind of fun to have an issue where there isn't a super-impending going to be exploded crisis and let the characters just interact. And I loved how Leia won by jumping into a spacesuit and she was already there when Han got it. And Luke wearing the stromtrooper helmet I got a kick out of because it was completely unexplained. It was just kind of random, maybe he was using it to talk on the comms or maybe he thought "Hey, might as well". And I really dug the unstated brother and sister / twin wavelength part where Luke & Leia literally thought of the same plan at the same time.

DelRiego and iPodwithnomusic like this.
  21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    This was a fun issue- it brought together the past two issues in a more cohesive way 9since the first was much darker/grittier than the second
    ).

22. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Preview for #24
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Sara's comment to Luke -

a nod to Heir to the Jedi? I thought so, at least, and liked it.

SilentGuy66 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  24. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    okay i gotta ask what the heck does Dopa me goola mean?

25. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Looks like it's basically "Very Bad Feeling", IE, she has a Bad Feeling About This.

SilentGuy66 likes this.