main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #21-25: The Last Flight of the Harbinger

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Apr 18, 2016.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yay / Awwww

Luke lost the random stormtrooper helmet he was wearing last issue. Which I'm sad to see it go but the fact that he dropped it with no mention whatsover kinda makes it funnier that he was just randomly wearing it.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  2. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    When I hear that Luke, a few months into learning of the force still struggles to lift a fork (as it should be) just makes me angry how Rey got to basically learnt the mind trick and "out-forced" a dark lord all in one day-she didn't suffer the setbacks this series has shown Luke go through. The force should be hard to learn/control and that's what the new canon is good at showing with Luke

3. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    We need more information on Rey's past. For all we know, she may have received some Force training as a very young child.

Just pure speculation on my part, I've no idea what the most recent rumors are for episode 8.

Revanfan1 and CnlSandersdeKFC like this.
  4. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Preview for next month I think.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    I wasn't expecting to see Vader, that's awesome! And the duel between Kreel and Luke looks intense! I'm really excited for these last two issues.

6. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Cool to see Vader here. But I already expected that he would become a bit more prominent in the main Star Wars line now that his own ongoing is over.

So I guess The Last Flight of the Harbinger takes place after End of Games, right?

La Calavera and SilentGuy66 like this.
  7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    They need to be careful regarding Vader though. If he comes into contact with the crew too often and they always escape it turns him into a pretty ineffectual looking villain. On the other hand, they did use him well in the original SW Marvel comics, in which he may not manage to capture Skywalker, but always achieves some secondary goal, in some instances by using Luke to his advantage (the whole Tagge arc).

La Calavera and spicer like this.
  8. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Be interesting if Executor shows up.

La Calavera and Jedi Ben like this.
  9. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    Y'all, this issue was FUN. Finally having the two groups meet was exactly what this arc needed, and the next issue looks promising. It made my Leia loving heart very happy to see her so in control and so ready to fight. they really nailed her character in this issue.

10. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I like this but

I miss Immonen
    [​IMG]

Now we have this
    [​IMG]

11. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Great issue, very exciting. Strong issue for Leia.

12. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    Immonen did a good job drawing Luke.

13. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015
    I don't mind a stylized take on the characters but the art in this arc seems to be getting increasingly sloppy. Starting to think the random Stormtrooper helmet from the last issue really was just a way to avoid having to draw Luke's face. :confused:

I thought the writing was pretty good though, definitely more in character compared to the last issue. Enjoyed seeing Leia take charge, Han being a "crazy pilot," and Luke being so confident against Sergeant Kreel. I'll admit though, I had the same reaction as Kreel to Luke's warning that he "knew how to use" his lightsaber. :p

14. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    I liked the story, especially Sana/Luke parts but yeah, the art is not that great. Some panels were really painful to look at.

15. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    They should really continue to expand on Kreel, the specialized stormtrooper who could wield a lightsaber. It's a really cool thing, better not kill him off. They should give him more of an original story though later on rather than just focus on Luke,Leia,Han. Make it a real EU character. Something that hyped up the issue was definitely Vader just coming in.

16. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    speaking of Vader, where does he come from? Was he the one who created the blockade on Tureen VII? Where is the Executor?

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't worry, you'll know when that turns up!

Karl0413 likes this.
  18. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    Why am I still reading this crap? This might have been the worst issue of the series, and that's saying A LOT given how bad it's been. First off the art is absolutely atrocious. I mean by the maker is it bad. Just who thinks these depictions of Han or Luke look ANYTHING like their on screen counter parts?

Secondly I don't see how people can say they liked Leia's portrayal in this. She doesn't come off as "in control," in fact I'd say she's the exact opposite. She has no care for the people under her command, and is doing nothing but screaming over a microphone for the whole issue. If I meet this person in real life I'd immediately get as far away from her as possible. This Leia is a dangerous radical, who sends the people under her command on suicide missions routinely and a far cry from the intelligent, kind, and formal commander she should be portrayed as. I mean this is almost sexist in the way it portrays her as the worst stereotype of a "bad female commander." Is Aaron secretly a Donald Trump supporter? Leia (the comic) did a better job of portraying her than this piece of trash does.

Finally the book continues rolling with the cheap gimmicks, and uncharacteristic dialogue. I'm afraid that now I have no choice but to continue reading though, as this will be the only place I can get my Vader fix. :mad:

19. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    You know lately i've been thinking after watching Star Wars Rebels and reading these Comics Set in the OT era, It makes wish they did a Clone Wars (or Rebels-style) show set during the Galactic Civil War. cause these stories would be nice to have seen in CGI.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  20. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    Leia's depiction didn't strike me as being out of place with what we saw in ESB. You can only be so in control in an out of control situation. probably poor wording on my part. Never got the vibe she was being presented as the horrid female commander. I saw her as being focused on her objective and getting everybody there no matter what. That suits the Leia I know...especially the Leia that is still young and finding her footing. Different reads, I guess. [face_dunno]

The non storm trooper art in the issue has been atrocious though, I'll agree with you on that.

I personally don't know why you'd stick with something that obviously irks you though. There's never gonna be enough Vader to do you good.

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd like to see an X-Wing/Tie Fighter or stormtrooper (somewhat competent please)/rebel trooper series set during the OT.
    Other views from the OT movies, etc.

22. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    It's more than just Vader honestly. It's Star Wars, and I made up my mind a long time ago that I'd stick through anything Star Wars whether good or bad a long time ago. This just happens to be especially bad to me. lol

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  23. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    This is the exact same reason I watch star wars rebels

24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I too thought Leia was a bit over the top in this issue. They struck a better balance in some of the other issues.

25. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

I wouldn't take the fork remark literally. We've seen Luke do stronger force tricks, iirc, and there's also the fact that Luke hasn't felt the Force in the way Rey did. He's aware it exists, but he hasn't really encountered it, and the dark side of the Force is still incredibly powerful, and Rey is specifically awakened into her power in a way Luke isn't.

Luke's biggest problem is that he doesn't seem to really believe he can do force tricks until Yoda shows him what the Force can do in ESB. It'd look a bit weird to have him hurling starfighters around pre-ESB and then revert to not knowing how to do anything.

Luke's block is mental, and perhaps the will of the Force, and Rey gets herself jump started by the Force as well as directly encountering a force user. Plus the fact that I think eventually we'll learn she was once aware of the Force as a child.

I guess my point is that Luke is already as strong as he needs to be, but he doesn't believe in himself or the Force yet, despite what he did at the Death Star...heck, he probably thinks Kenobi guided that shot. Thinking about it...I don't know that he's even seen Vader do anything, and Kenobi doesn't do anything but some mind tricks and lightsaber action. The first person who really shows him what the Force can be used for is Yoda, and up to that point he actively disbelieves he has the power that's within him.