main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #21-25: The Last Flight of the Harbinger

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Apr 18, 2016.

1. chris1982

chris1982 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2015
    Anyone else thinking the sniper might be a woman?

2. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    Another wacky arc full of crazy ideas that turn this comic more and more into a Saturday morning cartoon even more zany than the Saturday morning cartoon we already have -.- Is it too much to ask for Aaron to treat the OT characters and the Empire with the same respect he shows Obi-wan in the one-shot?

3. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    It kind of looks like Jodo Kast's Foxcatch from Legends http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Foxcatch
    Or possibly a Mu-class shuttle, which made its way from Legends to canon already with the Whisper Bird from the Adventures in Wild Space series http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mu-class_shuttle/Canon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    You mean like TCW which is the mentioned inspiration for the whole wacky, super, special and extra extra Stormtrooper squad thing? Instead of gods behold them just telling a story about a normal Stormtrooper squad. [face_waiting]
    ยด
    You know it is stuff like this that just makes me even more appreciative of what Dark Horse did with Empire. .

Darth_Garak and CnlSandersdeKFC like this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Re: Those preview panels

To quote Star Wars: The Geordie Edit - Sarge, use the big gun Sarge.

6. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I just love how a good half of the stormtrooper variants/units are presented as the elite.

"Lord Vader, we need to send our elite troops right away."
    "Yes, my master. I'll dispatch stormtroopers immediately."
    "No, I meant the elite within the elite."
    "Of course, I'll contact the storm commandos."
    "No! Not that elite. The other one."
    "All right. The shock troopers it is, then."
    "No, no, no! The newer elite!"
    "Oh? You mean the phase II dark troopers, then? Or perhaps Commander Bragh's Purge Troopers?"
    "Dammit, Vader! I mean the Imperial Special Forces!"

7. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014

And Rogue One will be presenting us with another elite group! But I don't mind, since it just gives us new badass Stormtrooper designs.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  8. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Anyone ever fancied running a one shot regarding just such a team of troopers?

Just wondering how that fared compared to what's been talked about in this thread!;)

9. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

No different then in real life. :p

"Mr. President, we need to send in our elite troops."
    "Ok, let's deploy the Rangers."
    "Wrong elite unit sir."
    "Green Berets?"
    "Guess again, sir."
    "Delta Force?"
    "Sir, you know which unit I am talking about."
    "Oh, you mean the SEALs!"
    "No, I mean the Combat Control Teams."

10. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Well you know, sometimes you want an elite group that is dark and no parents, and sometimes something more shinier takes your fancy, or you experiment little with different skill sets, and all these different elite troops just pile up. In the end Palpatine puts a whole legion of them on Endor just so they could have something to do.

11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Unfortunately, by Endor all his actual "best troops" had been wiped out, so he had to settle for the best of...whatever was left. :p

12. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    La Calavera and Karl0413 like this.
  13. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    I just love that cover... I'll agree a couple of the designs look a bit goofy, but I've been wanting a Stormtrooper focused story forever so I'll gladly take it.

La Calavera likes this.
  14. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    That giant E-11's gonna bug me more than the giant E-11s in the Lando miniseries...partly because it's even bigger than the Lando ones, I think, but mostly because the artist clearly used a 3D assist program like SketchUp and still managed to scale it all wrong.

15. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Don't have a problem with this but I have a feeling that one of those special forces troopers will be female, specifically the hooded one.

16. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    Wouldn't surprise me at all. That one's build does look a bit different.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  17. NCISliar

NCISliar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2013
    If those guys were the best of the rest, then what did the worst look like?

Sure, but I don't think the Dark novatroopers E11 will ever be beaten:
    [​IMG]

Although I have to admit that I kind of like the possibility of several sizes of E-11s for different sorts of "calibers".

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Good grief... this new guy's weapon comes pretty darn close, tho. Different "calibers" would be okay, but the gun shouldn't just scale up entirely (scope, grip, and all) with a higher caliber... that's my main problem with it. It's not a bigger gun with an E-11 scope & pack & all, it's just a ginormous E-11.

I did a quick & sloppy mockup of what Han would look like if his blaster were scaled more like Kreel's:
    [​IMG]
    (here's the original for comparison)

Gorefiend and LelalMekha like this.
  19. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cwustudent likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin โ‰ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm torn on the whole individuality thing. Suppose it's a sign of their skills that they're permitted such. We'll see. The hooded one and the boss one have the best designs -- the others look a little silly to me.

Guess I'm partial to ones that look the most like regular stormies. I prefer them customizing accoutrements and paint than having one-off armor designs.

But anyway, whatever. Looking forward to this issue. If the story pulls it off, minor things don't matter.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

MercenaryAce and Toonimator like this.
  21. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

So you're saying you prefer the front three over the rest in the back, right?

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin โ‰ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Actually it does seem they're properly ordered, yes. The back most one is my least favorite.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

23. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I actually quite like the Demolitions (far back) and Pilot (breather tubes) designs. I guess the Demolitions design may not feel super Star Wars-y or stormtrooper-y, but putting it in a vacuum, I think it looks good. Bazooka is comically hulking huge, though. I'm predicting headbutts.

Excited to have Kreel back!

24. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    The back one is all hoses... I think he's the flamethrower guy? The pilot with the two pistols is a bit annoying with that low-slung box attached to the hoses...why wouldn't he just be in regular pilot gear? Or regular stormtrooper gear with a pilot helmet & box like Phase I clone pilots? The designer in me would rather see 'em all have a unified armor design distinct from regular stormies--with some customization--rather than 7 one-off armored looks tailored to specific roles. More "Republic Commando" than this.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  25. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    It's not like Vader's servants haven't had personal armor before, just see Rebels.