main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #26-30: Yoda's Secret War (5/5 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Formidious, Sep 19, 2016.

1. jeykey

jeykey Jedi Master

Jun 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm going to get this comic eventually, but... did the mountain cry at all? Exhibit any other extreme emotional swings?

3. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    BE GONE!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I am liking this story, just read issue 29 today. I'll be interested in how the next issue plays out. Also, I like it's told as both Yoda's backstory as well as a story from Obi-Wan.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Catching up on this arc now...

#26- I enjoyed the "worst interrogation ever" bit and, in particular, Vader's reaction to Threepio. While it might be disappointing that they don't get a face-to-face (not that Threepio would recognize him anyways), the "It is nothing more than useless junk" line is a good take on things from Vader's POV. The art in the series is once again doing the "movie still" photo reference thing but, to their credit, I don't recall anyone using hat particular super-sarcastic Han shot before, so at least they're using some varied references (though it becomes very odd with Yoda, who swaps from CGI Yoda to TPM Puppet Yoda and everything else inbetween).

#27- Though I may have been harping on the photo references since the new Marvel run began, the renderings are really pretty good here at least. Story-wise, Yoda's character is being handled very well. Though I'm nopt sure how I feel about the Lost Boys war stuff yet.

#28- Some nice alien cameos in the Mos Eisley flashback- I think one of the "screaming Rogue One alien"s in in the corner pf one shot, while Kittik Keed'kak (or another of her species) is leaning up against the wall in another.

#29- Yoda gets both a Gandalf/Ganner moment AND a John Tuturro shot of the mountain giant.

[​IMG]

EDIT- I can't leave it there:

[​IMG]

6. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    This has been a cool arc. I'm interested what'll happen next month & how it'll affect Luke.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    See, all Yoda has to do is one big Force push.... Up.

Doesn't matter how big it is, a strike to the balls is going to hurt.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    And now we know the true origin of Mount Sorrow.

[​IMG]

9. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
  10. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Poor Luke, in nu-canon wherever he goes he gets beaten up, all in the interest of character development.

Vorax likes this.
  11. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I like this, but, ever since getting the Mortis arc, we are getting these trippy force type stories. I'm not saying they are bad, but man I miss the old straight up sith vs jedi fights. At least we knew that the sith wanted power and sought through amulets, pyramids , and other sources, but it was always the sith. The jedi was there to preserve the force. Now, all these stories that are coming out are bit .......I don't know off. Maybe its me.

DelRiego and SilentGuy66 like this.
  12. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    I like that they give a sense of mystery and adventure whereas with the Sith we know what to expect after so many years of material with them. I can't wait for the Screaming Citadel crossover for this reason.

Jedi Princess and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. jeykey

jeykey Jedi Master

Jun 27, 2013
    from StarWars #30
    So Yoda has been following Luke's journey
    [​IMG]

Jedi Princess and Darth_Voider like this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Goes well with TESB:

"This one, a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon."

15. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    So is this the end of the living mountain story? Or is it going to carry over into the screaming citadel cross over?

16. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    Never his mind on where he was! Hmm? What he was doing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Revanfan1, SilentGuy66 and Iron_lord like this.
  17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    It's finally over. I don't get it. The end gave me chills but that's about it.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  18. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I wasn't terribly impressed with this last issue, despite the promise of the previous two. Both confrontations suffered from a case of "characters hanging about until the writer decides it's time for one of them to win", and villain monologuing. Garro stops attacking Luke because he recalls being frightened as a child? Very sloppily done, although the juxtaposition of Yoda asking him to put down his spear to end the war, and Garro wanting to kill Luke to end the war, was nice. This issue seemed to have a deficit of plot, and had to contort itself a little not to reveal Yoda's identity to Luke. The Dagobah coda was nice, but Yoda believing Luke might soon be "ready" felt unearned.

19. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Not exactly sure what I read.
    Was lackluster story or pulpy yarn without any clear obvious purpose cept to take Luke on a Jedi-like adventure before he actually does in the films, I suppose to build him up since Ezra had gotten more action. Luke was stabbed a number of times and the wounds looked pretty fatal but he seems to just walk them off like he never got injured and that was about all he did do. Was a oddball story, Garro is like another lost homicidal/suicidal Force user zealot that is looking for a meaningful end and purpose and that ultimately is there to set course for the hero - it reminded me too much of "Twin Suns" in some ways. I never got the impression Yoda cared for Luke to be a Jedi, moreover there was never any training him when he was a boy, " not ready for the burden" and "too old for training" and all of that kinda thing. I think the humble stuff message is what we're supposed tot take way, which I guess is basically what gives Luke the motive to give his life in ROTJ.

20. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    Whatever weirdness is going on with Luke's face is super jarring next to the rest of the art.
    I dig the little epilogue, though.
    Looking forward to Screaming Citadel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    I was really disappointed with this arc. The first issue had potential, and the giant stone creatures were a cool concept, but the story just wasn't very interesting. The artwork was also terrible, if the whole arc was done by Immonen instead of just the covers, I might have been able to overlook the bland writing. Really hoping the Screaming Citadel and whatever follows it are better than this.

SilentGuy66 and DelRiego like this.
  22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I enjoyed the previous issues, but this was a mess.

23. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Honestly glad this arc is over with. I know some people are into these Mortis type of storylines but I'm definitely not. I like my mountains to stay mountains and not turn into living creatures (of course I think he was meant to be a living creature but just like with the Mortis trilogy it was hard to tell if this whole thing was meant to have really happened or if it was just a tale that was exaggerated either by Yoda or Obi Wan).

spicer, La Calavera and SilentGuy66 like this.
  24. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    By having Luke there interacting with the last survivor and the living mountain beings, thus validating the events, I believe it was meant to say that the tale actually really happened as it was.

However, you bring up a good observation. I sorta wish Luke was never sent there and the story remained merely as a fantastic tale in Obi-Wan’s journal just meant to teach Luke a lesson, but we would never know how literal or metaphorical those events were. A bit more like the Life of Pi.
    It would have been cooler if we were just experiencing these events through Luke’s rich imagination and his own unique view of the Force - maybe the mountain did not look like that, or was not even an actual mountain, who knows – but that would have certainly given this arc the truly spiritual and magical feeling about it that the writer was trying to achieve but fell short at it, while at the same time carrying Luke’s DNA all over it (making it more a story about Luke trying to understand Yoda, instead of a story solely about Yoda where Luke is just a tourist).

As it is, by making the story so literal, it diminished the mystical quality about it and emphasized the silly parts of it instead, since these characters truly make no sense.

Ben09 likes this.
  25. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    [​IMG]

KikReask likes this.