main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars #3: In the Shadow of Yavin, part 3 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Dec 12, 2012.

1. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I did an all 6 movies binge once with friends but we kind of lost it around Return of the Jedi (we watched them in order)

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    You need to watch them in order of quality - ESB, ROTJ, ANH, TPM, ROTS, AOTC. ROTS and AOTC become positively brilliant if you are either utterly drunk or already half asleep. ;)

3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Ah, the marathon approach...

I remember attending the advance screening of ROTS in London, but you had to be there first thing in the morning for ANH, then ESB, then ROTJ, then lunch, then TPM, then AOTC, then listen to Lucas give a talk, then finally ROTS.

Loooong day.

Never going to watch all six the same day ever again. :p

And George, no, it was not funny when at midnight you said we should carry on from ANH again to be able to say we'd watched them both in order of release and chronology on the same day. :p

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Finally picked up the issue yesterday. Possible continuity issues aside, it was a fantastic story and I like the direction the series is going. Some general thoughts:
    • Making Princess Leia into a tough as nails badass is 100% approved in my book.
    • Digging the growing friendship between Leia & Wedge. We know that they end up close as family in the later years, but it is cool to see the begining of this.
    • Rebel Fleet shots! Several, in fact. One great one at the end shows an MC80 that looks to be either Home One or Independence, which makes me happy.
    • Having said that, the general green coloration of the Rebel fleet throws the images off. I wish they woudl change the color scheme to more authentic tones.
    • Kudos too for continuing to use & flesh out Mon Mothma. She is one of the most criminally underused and underexplored Rebel leaders, so it is great to see her get some screen time.
    My only real complaint is the Han & Chewie side story. I really hope it goes somewhere interesting, as we all know they survive so far their story is just a bunch of shooting.

Lastly- do we know who that pilot was at the end of the issue? Is it Colonel Bircher?

--Adm. Nick

kataja and agentkrycek like this.
  5. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Mine too. Makes this geek girl very happy.

Darth_Pevra and agentkrycek like this.
  6. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I believe it was Bircher, yes.

Also, I totally agree on making Leia hard as nails. It's the best.

agentkrycek likes this.
  7. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    Badass Leia is my favourite thing about this comic series.

8. Captain_Newtype

Captain_Newtype Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 2013
    I like that Luke's cocky 'I'm a great pilot who is totally awesome' mentality in these issues is not winning him many friends. We're seeing Luke at his youngest and closest to the Luke we see in ANH and riding high from destroying the Death Star. That Wedge seems to be very wary of Luke is an interesting start to their friendship.

9. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I don't know if that was Wedge being wary, but concerned about the distraction that Prithi is being for Luke.

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Wedge is still smarting from that whole "womp rats aren't much bigger than 2 meters" burn.

11. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I like Star Wars and all... but that sounds awful.

12. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    One of my friends hadn't seen Star Wars...at all. Any of them. So we had a little party and watched all of them in one day...I thought it went pretty well, but most of us definitely fell asleep during at least one movie. :p It was more fun than the LOTR marathon I'd had a couple of years prior, though.

TC

13. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Is #3 the end of the arc? At least, that's what wookiepedia says. It says that the arcs are 1-3 then 4-6 and 7 to unknown.

Are the first 3 issues enough to even make a trade paperback?

14. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    It might be do to the original miss printing that said that it was a 3 part comic, though it actually is a 6 issue arc.

15. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Finally I thought I was the only one to point out Han shot first!:_|

16. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Am I drunk or did Luke have hyperspace sex?

kataja, Darth_Pevra and Zorrixor like this.
  17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I generally assume that Luke Skywalker needed to be taught about the birds and the bees by Mara and was until then sexually ignorant, which would suggest not. :p

18. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    What? Tatooine is such a boring planet. I'm sure the inhabitants have found ways to "entertain" themselves and Luke probably got all the girls with his innocent boy act.

19. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Hello, Tim Zahn. I didn't know you posted here!

:p

kataja likes this.
  20. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
  21. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I think it's implied he did, yes.

Well, I can't say I've ever thought of the virginity or lack thereof of any of the Star Wars characters. Hmm.

22. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    His and Prithi's smug faces imply nothing less. About time we got a Luke who dared a bit in this area too. ;) I never bought that innoscence. Collides a bit with earlier comics, though.

And agreed to badass Leia! She's as cool as can be - but at the same time shutting all emotions away. It would imply Han was actually very right when he told her she could use a good kiss in ESB! :p

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I like to think that Luke only seemed "innocent" in the context of Tatooine, and once he left the planet he came into his own pretty quick. No one in the Rebellion called him "Wormie", last I checked.

Naïve? Sure. Virginal? Nah.

themetresgained and kataja like this.
  24. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    He was a teenager who became a fighter jock and hero. Of course he did it in a fighter cockpit.

kataja likes this.
  25. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    So, Luke is now officially a member of the ten-thousand miles high club? :p

kataja likes this.