main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:SA STAR WARS 30th Anniversary Party - Sun 27th May 2007

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by starfire-phoenix, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Meanders

Darth_Meanders Jedi Master star 5

May 23, 2004
    I won't be able to get to the Starship Mawson screening as I have taxi duties in the afternoon, but will get to the UFP event. In any case I would not have been able to stay for the full film anyway due to 501st commitments with the other event.

I'm told these 2 groups get on but they certainly seem to be treading on each others toes in this case. If it were me, I'd just combine both events into one.

2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Yeah, Co ordinate so they are all in the one location and the party just starts after the movie and fun.....would make sense, and logistically would be alot easier.

3. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR star 6

Feb 7, 2005
    I'm pretty sure the Convention Centre car park operates all the time, which is kinda useful for Carrington St., but not so for Rundle St.

Only other alternative may be pot luck parking (try War Memorial Drive near the Uni) and what if we had a designated meeting point instead? Such as the Parade Grounds?

As for the two groups ... hmm ... would love to be on a panel, but still ... what ever the flock does ...

4. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    Actually.. I find it quite ironic that 2 STAR TREK groups have organised a party to celebrate the 30th anniversary. Yet, we , as the actual SW group organised nothing.

Doesn't seem overly amicable if they can't co-ordinate their functions so as not to co-incide.

Am considering not going to either event. Feel like a kid caught between 2 divorced parents.

5. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Good comparison there evil.....I will attend, but go with the flow...if the group decides to stay at the movie or go to the party, that's cool. I have worked way to hard on this current costume to not attend........still got around 20 hours work left to do...

6. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    I clarified this with Stuart and he said that yes, they are on great terms, and even they will be handing out flyers and encouraging 'the party' to move on to the SA Writers Centre afterwards!

He says that the panel is not expected to go for long and he says that the whole thing should be finished at the latest by 5:00pm. Yes, that does overlap, and yes, that is frustrating. I wish that the timing could have been better as well.

I'm thinking that I will just wander down to the UFP thing after it's all done.

7. Sithwoman

Sithwoman Jedi Youngling

Feb 18, 2007
    To a fellow lover of Star Wars, re the 2 Star Trek parties, we did not get together, the guy who is running the Carrington st one is no friend of ours.
    What would a one-eyed Trekker know about Star Wars anyway?

8. LittleTinGoddess

LittleTinGoddess Jedi Master star 4

Oct 7, 2006
    As far as i know they still do...

9. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Feb 7, 2005
    There may be changes to routes due to the tram extension work. We should organise ourselves re: parking/meeting soon, shouldn't we? [face_thinking]

10. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Have we decided if we are going to Park and then walk to each or are we going to drive to each event and re park the cars?

11. Sithwoman

Sithwoman Jedi Youngling

Feb 18, 2007
    To all SW fans if you go to the UFP party you will see it is really a party and not a talk on anything Trek

12. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Feb 7, 2005
    Thanks, we'll take that under advisement :)

13. BigAL_1701

BigAL_1701 Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2007
    OK first off
    I am Alec Donnon, Membership Registrar of the United Federation of Planets Fan Club inc. trading as AUS-SCI FI.

I have been monitoring your conversations regarding why 2 ST clubs are running different SW events and are apparently clashing. I am writing this reply in order to clear up some of the issues.

Originally Stuart Blair was our Club President and helped propel us to where we are today, but about 1 and a half years ago he decided to split from our club and form his own, the Mawson, from the ground up.

We of the UFP have been organising our 30th Anni party for a number of months getting activities fleshed out and so on. It seems that Stuart saw our advertising and appears to have decided to hold an event a few hours before ours.

We do not see any 'bad blood' between the two groups as we consider the issues we had with Stuart Blair and vice-versa to be in the past. We would not have had a problem holding one event between both clubs if the Mawson had contacted us when they decided to host an event based on the same anniversary.

Our regular meetings are always held on the last Sunday of the month, starting at 4pm and we cater for all forms of Science Fiction (yes i know, shameless plug there), so when we discovered that the SW 30th Anni fell on one of these days we jumped at the chance to run a celebration for SW.

If you have any other questions please feel free to reply or contact me.

14. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Feb 7, 2005
    Thanks, and again, we'll take that under advisement :) We will attend & support events celebrating the 30th Anniversary as we see fit. ;)

15. Darth_Meanders

Darth_Meanders Jedi Master star 5

May 23, 2004
    Thanks BigAL. I'll see you on Sunday arvo with the 501st and other SAFFers .Should be fun :)

16. Sithwoman

Sithwoman Jedi Youngling

Feb 18, 2007
    Just a reply to you message the UFP and that other mob do not get on and they have no love for anything that is not Trek so this little event came only after they found out that we were holding a function. We are celebrating Star Wars and the fact that it is the best scifi movies that were ever made.

17. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    I dont think thats what BigAl just said lady...

18. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Simple fact is we are all grown up enough to make our own decisions on where we want to be on Sunday. And frankly, I don't believe the SAFF wishes to be involved in whatever, or whatever not is going on. Please keep your opinions on each others groups off the boards, you are only giving us all a sour taste in our mouths about both events. I believe many of us are attending both.

So? Where are we parking? Meeting? How? Anyone?

19. DarthVercetti

DarthVercetti Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    well, i have no idea where either of these places are so i'll come and follow everyone in the walk convoy but i cant help with meeting place suggestions...

20. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Feb 7, 2005
    I'd say it may have to be fend for yourselves re: Carrington St., unless someone knows of somewhere where we can meet.

As for the UFP party, am gonna target parking on Rundle Road.

21. DarthVercetti

DarthVercetti Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    yes but double pay for parking? wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper) to just park between them somewhere and walk some.

22. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Feb 7, 2005
    You'd be paying $2-3 dollars if you had to pay at all.

23. oz_skipp

oz_skipp Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2004
    No-one will need to pay on Carrington St, and most likely a park near Rundle won't cost anything. It's Adelaide after all ;)

There's a few places (Frome St, Flinders St etc) that won't cost a thing, and they're only a 2 minute walk from Rundle.

24. Darth_Hunky

Darth_Hunky Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 16, 2006
    Why don't we meet near Rundle, share a cab to Carrington and walk back?

Matt

25. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Stormies in a Taxi......that could be very interesting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.