main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #33-37: Out Among the Stars & Annual #3 (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , May 13, 2017.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Luke's Jedi adventures are a good hook but, like Gillen says, in the ANH period you can only stretch that out so much. He's still something of a newbie at the start of ESB and it implies that is the first time he uses telekenesis to pull his saber to escape the Wampa. (I know he did some unintentional telekenesis in the first arc here against Boba Fett but in ESB it's more directed)

2. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I actually feel like they spent too much time on Luke learning about the Force. It makes sense that he'd try to figure things out, but he doesn't have a teacher so he can't learn much. I always thought, Luke's focus after ANH was on being part of the Alliance over being a Jed and it was after meeting Yoda that becoming a Jedi became more important. I feel like with the death of Obi-Wan Luke would have decided he couldn't learn much on his own. As a result he'd have focused on other things. From ANH Luke's primary goal is to fight the Empire and so it makes sense he'd focus on that regardless of where his training had progressed to.

3. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Yeah the stories have been pretty redundant to me, like they decided they wanted to tell a story and then gave it to a couple different authors to tell. One of those isn't their fault (Heir to the Jedi) but it starts to looks funky

4. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

Actually the first time Luke used telekinesis intentionally in the new canon is in the Heir to the Jedi novel, where, I kid you not, he used it to move a noodle.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    There should be a rule to never bring up that book and pretend it doesn't exist.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  6. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Wasn't Heir to the Jedi originally written before the canon purge thereby making it a legends but that was "allowed" to be canon?

Pretty sure in Last Flight of the Harbinger, Sana mentions how she's spotted using the force on his food so I consider that a reference

7. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009

Yeah, I believe the first four "canon" books were all commissioned before the canon purge and then reworked to fit into canon.

8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Not sure about AND, since it was specifically a Rebels tie-in.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Heir was part of the set that was Razor's Edge and Honor Among Thieves then the reboot hit and Heir was transferred to the new structure. That's the only transfer I know of.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  10. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    I thought Tarkin and Lords if the Sith were also pretty much complete when the reboot happened, and then they got held to ensure they fit new canon.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

11. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Tarkin was announced on the same day as The Great EU Purge. Who knows how long the people behind the scenes were aware of that, though. Also, if Continuity King Luceno had originally written to fit into Legends, he would've made sure to include Tarkin's brother in the flashback scenes, and I doubt the Story Group was like, "No, we decree Tarkin is an only child, remove the brother!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I think James said that Disney told him to cut out or work around some characters and species names cause they where not sure at the time being how they wanted to use them.

13. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Star Wars #34 preview
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    There's a positive thing in the preview. Those aliens look awesome.

15. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Are those... space hermit crabs? I love them already.

16. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    What I like most about this preview is that the story of the next issue will be told from Sana's point of view.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

17. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Has Sana done something to her hair? Or did she always have dredlocks?

18. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    More Lando is always good. :)

19. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    Just read #34 and I enjoyed it. The artwork was better than some of the previous issues, Lando looked great in every panel. I'm still not that clear on why Sana needed Lando, it seemed like a team-up just for the sake of having a team-up. The last page managed to capture my interest for the next issue, I'm looking forward to seeing what the story is there.

20. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    What was the point of Lando in this story other than to ram the fact down our throats how awesome Sana is at "swindling"

I mean seriously Lando is supposedly Star Wars' face of gambling and shady dealings but in this story all he did was get awestruck at everything Sana did.

The sooner Gillien gets aboard this series the better, I say!

21. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    33: Rebels in the wind (Luke & Leia)
    34: The Thirteen Crates (Sana & Lando)
    35: TBD (Han & [info in spoiler section])

#34 spoiler review

I also enjoyed this issue which ultimately added some depth to Sana as a character. She actually does care about people.
    Quick synopsis:
    Jabba the Hutt acquires 13 crates of Imperial guns from an Imperial ship that lost life support. Sana steals 1 crate. With that 1 crate, she is able to get $5000 as a down payment from a group of red beetle looking pirates called the Krawg, promising the other 12 at a later time. She keeps 1 gun for herself.

Using the help of Lando, she uses that gun to inform the Empire that the Krawg stole their crates, but for a price of 20,000. Begrudgingly, the Empire pays her. She goes to Jabba to inform him that the Krawg stole his 1 missing crate. A Krawg pirate in disguise, attempting to kill Sana, verifies her story in front of Jabba. Jabba gives her 20000 credits for the information. Later while Jabba and Lando drink, Sana steals the rest of the crates.

As they leave the planet, the Krawg show up, firing at Sana and Lando for her betrayal. Thankfully, for Sana, the Empire shows up and prepares to board the Krawg ship.

I'm not sure what she does with the guns, maybe she gives them to the Rebellion, but the 45000 credits she anonymously drops off at a hospital on her home planet. She hears some bar patrons talking about it while she gives Lando the date she promised him. He ultimately declines the date at the food was horrible, which was orchestrated by Sana with the owner of the bar. It was quite comical.

So of the marriage to Han Solo bits came up, which she denied, and we well know it was just part of a scheme anyway, one that obviously happened off screen. A lot of what happened in this issue also happens off screen, but the way it's presented is well done. I hope you've read it before reading my review.

iPodwithnomusic, SilentGuy66, it appears Sana only needed Lando to get her the meeting with the Imperial officer and to distract Jabba at the end.

As for the teaser for 35 - Han has Grakkus the Hutt in chains on the Millennium Falcon as he's being chased by TIE fighters.

22. robotical712

robotical712 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 13, 2017
    Other than getting people to buy the comic, why was Lando in this issue?

23. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    Fun issue...every issue doesn't have to be part of an arc and I think this issue showed that one-issue stories can be a fun way to add depth to a character. The art was very good...Lando did look great every time he was drawn.

I have no problem with Lando's role in this issue being limited to setting up meetings through his network of contacts. This was Sana's time to shine, so I have no issue in Lando taking the supporting role. Loved the "date" at the end and the fact that Sana played the Robin Hood role in keeping the hospital open through her "donation". Lando & Sana teaming up was a natural fit and the creative team did it well. Nice tease at the end for the next issue. Interesting that the opening crawl was eerily similar to the opening crawls in the Doctor Aphra series in two respects: (1) you can make profit operating on the fringes while the Empire is in power, and (2) the whole "get rich or die trying" line from Doctor Aphra and the Enormous Profit.

24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Sana used Lando to get her the meeting with the Imperial officer and to distract Jabba at the end. This is a Star Wars story and it was Sana's turn to shine, not Lando.

25. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I think this is one my favorite issues of Jason Aaron's run. It's Lando being Lando, and it made me a lot more interested in Sana as a character. And the last page teaser was perfect. I'm excited for Gillen's run on SW, but this keeps up, it looks like Aaron will be going out on a high note.