main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #33-37: Out Among the Stars & Annual #3 (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , May 13, 2017.

1. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Hope those two "tales from the underworld" aren't set during the usual time period for obvious reasons
    Lando

2. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    If just Sana goes to Coruscant and meets with Lando there, it could still be set in the usual time period.

However, it's also possible that at least issue #34 is set before Sana's first appearance in Star Wars #4. In the "Last Flight of the Harbinger arc", Sana told Luke that she once flew a TIE on Coruscant which she had stolen. Maybe that particular event is the story of #34?

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  3. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
  4. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    This art looks terrible, especially when Luke is holding the lightsaber

5. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
  6. Z95_Headhunter

Z95_Headhunter Jedi Knight

Jul 26, 2014
    I know he gets the job done fast, in time for deadlines, but Marvel please. Larocca's art is really really bad most of the time. Star Wars should be a flagship title, put a little more pride into it.

7. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I'm tired of all this lightboxing and tracing, really.

spicer likes this.
  8. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    Marvel: We want it in 5 minutes
    Larocca: WHAT???
    Marvel: GO GO GO
    Larocca:
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6, T7-01, SilentGuy66 and 2 others like this.
  9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

I don't think the rest of it looks bad, but yeah, that last one with Luke holding the saber is...yeesh.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Marvel, it's a damn shame that incredibly talented artists that worked on Star Wars comics are now virtually jobless (coughDuursemacoughWheatleycough), and yet you put Larocca on almost every Star Wars comic you publish. I'm not saying that you should go to the other end of the spectrum and fire Larocca, but give him a bit of a break and let him draw the comics at a slower pace. I am certain he can produce quality art that way. But no wonder his art looks the way it does when he's almost on everything! There are other artists out there.

Zer0, MrDarth0, KikReask and 5 others like this.
  11. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I think I saw enough of Larroca's work on Star Wars to say with certainty that I do not like it. At all. I'll go as far as to say it's easily the worst art of the new era by a long margin. Maybe if he was with another colorist it would be more bearable to look at. Them changing artists every arc was really the most consistent thing I liked about this series. I know he works faster than most artists but what about quality over quantity? I definitively wouldn't mind waiting for another few weeks if that means he can produce better art.

redxavier, Senpezeco and spicer like this.
  12. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
  13. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    So does this mean R2 rescuing 3PO is only 2 issues? Bummer. :(

14. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
  15. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    I think it's not even two issues. Probably just a one-shot like #33, #34 and #35.

#37 could be another one-shot or the beginning of the next "real" arc.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

16. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Makes sense for #37 to be a one-shot too then. Too bad they won't change artists in each issues, with each having their own interpretation on the SW universe but hopefully they change it for the next arc, let's be optimistic.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I do feel a lot of you are shooting the wrong target - Larocca.

The guy's a working artist signed to Marvel, they issue the jobs - and sign off the work - he does the work, to the timetable he's given.

So, if anything, you should be aiming further up the chain.

spicer and Jedi Jessy like this.
  18. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    They need to give more time to their artists and writers

spicer likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The sad thing is, we know they can do it - Vader Down had a good combination in Larocca and Deodato, but that's nowhere near the crown jewel:

Six issues of Cassaday art, sequentially, without delays.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Well, we know that the Marvel editors are reading these threads, so here's hoping that our comments will be taken in consideration. Seriously, think about it - hire more artists (we've given a few suggestions ;)) and give Larocca several months time to work on a single issue if needed. You get all the issues published on time, you help out unemployed (or under employed) artists, you get quality art by Larocca, you get satisfied fans, and (shockingly!) you make profit.

Oh, and also Marvel, don't be afraid to release issues every 2-3 months if and when necessary. We promise we won't lose any sleep over it, quality over quantity please.

Jedi Jessy and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    If Marvel editors are reading this right now:

If your guys make Leia not physically attacking Luke or Han or (not) being a terrible friend, I promise I will buy every issue (1 to me, other to my mom, to my grandma, to my dog, to my bird...)

22. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    I liked their conversation

23. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Larroca didn't even bother to trace Mark Hamill on one of the panels, just used some other dude. That's a new low.

This walker must have been from one of those factories sabotaged by the TV Rebels since you can blow it up with homemade explosives while fighters are useless with the Hoth ones.

That ship was so generic or at least it looked like hey-man-draw-a-spaceship-here-you-go. Or was it a recognizable model?

The idea of the comic story was good, but the execution so poor it failed to convey any excitement. I hope the Lando story is done by a different artist.

24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Rebels in the Wind #33

So the Screaming Citadel arc has ended and also some time has passed it would seem as Luke and Leia are on a solo adventure from the group. I looked at the end of Aphra #8, and the gang was all together on the Falcon, so this standalone mission takes place maybe a week later and they story is given in the form of exposition from Leia as she narratives while the events unfold.

What was supposed to be a routine supply mission, Luke and Leia have been ambushed by the Empire. In an attempt to escape, the duo end up flying though a nebula and have to make an emergency landing on a water filled planet and thankfully find an island to land on. Unfortunately they can't get a signal out because of the nebula and their ship is grounded.

The two play Swiss Family Robinson for three weeks. Leia uses herself as bait to catch a Spikeshark while Luke kills it with his lightsaber. Luke use parts of the ship to make moisture-vaporators so they have water to drink. The dedlanite from their blasters is used twice. Once to power the vaporators and another time later on. Leia makes a bow and arrow somehow.

There is a nice moment when the two relax, after eating, talking about their childhood. The both reminisce about a time they each ran away from home. Leia is able to still see Alderaan in the sky because science and this drives her that more people don't die in vain.

Out of nowhere, an explosion happens. The Empire has tracked them to the planet, but attack the locals which are revealed to be fish humanoids that look like Abe Sapien from Hellboy. They befriend Luke and Leia and the duo decide it's time to go on the offensive. They light a fire to attract the attention of the Empire so they don't harm anymore fish people. One AT-AT is deployed and walks from under the water toward the beach. And hey, we get Shore Troopers! Neat! I remember those!

A booby trap dispels quills from the Spikeshark from earlier to take out some of the troopers (because we all know how worthless Imperial armor is). Others are taken out by Luke and his lightsaber. The AT-AT is taken out by a combination of dried animal waste, sulfur crystals from the ocean floor and the last of the dedlanite from earlier. Leia channels Oliver Queen and uses a fire arrow to save their lives.

The day is won. They use parts from the AT-AT to fix the ship and the fish people use the rest of the AT-AT as part of their reef to dwell in.

IMO, the most interesting part is at the end where the next issue is set up: Sana has a plan and she on Coruscant to execute it ... with Lando!

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  25. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    The story isn't something special but the childhood storys were nice. I love the scene where the AT-AT and the Shore Troopers are coming out of the ocean. I didn't liked how easy they got rekt.

SilentGuy66 likes this.