main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars 3d montage

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by HenrikSolberg, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HenrikSolberg

HenrikSolberg Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2002
    I've made a little film a lot like the 3d montage on the Star Wars: Episode II DVD.

Here is the link:
    3d montage

The file is a "Windows Media Player" file, and is on 8,2 megabyte!

What do you think about it?

2. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    Wow.

That's not bad.

Not quite "film" quality stuff, but still... Wow.

Do you do requests?

3. HenrikSolberg

Mar 19, 2002
    The web-version is really low-quality! I have it on DVD and it looks much better! My english is not so good, so when I said film I ment video. When I think about it, film is like 35 mm on english right? Here in Norway it it is commen to use "film" on both "video" and "film"! Sorry!

What do you mean of "do you do requests?"???

4. Stormy88

Stormy88 Jedi Youngling

Nov 20, 2004
    That is BUFF!!

What software do you use?

Are you inthe Industry?

5. HenrikSolberg

Mar 19, 2002
    My english is NOT good. What does "BUFF" stand for? I am not in the industry, really just having fun in 3d Studio! I've used the models of scifi3d so I don't understand what the big fuzz is about? I honestly didn't think it would be this well accepted! I've seen a lot of great animation on these sites so I didn't expect to much. But it is nice to get good feedback!

6. Stamper

Stamper Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2002
    By asking "Do you do requests?" he's curious if you would be interested in doing some animations for people, for anyone, in general. I suppose I am curious about the same thing.

EDIT: I almost forgot to acknoledge your work! Great job!

7. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    The concept of your animation was well done. Above all else, it may very well be the concept of the animation that is the overall success of your film.

By "Film Quality" I mean it isn't quite the Multimillion dollar stuff, but that is just fine for us little ametures.

By "BUFF" he's just emphacising a positive reinforcement. Imagine you've been lifting weights and your arms are big with muscles. All that work has paid off for you. Buff is slang for someone who is very muscular. In this context, he means that your work has made a great result.

EDIT: And by "Do you do requests" It is a subtle way of saying, "I could use your help on my own project."

8. wildcat69410

wildcat69410 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2004
    Very Good Work! I really liked the smoothness of it all, and the way there were no harsh transitions, and everything flowed with the music. Keep it up, it's looking very good.

Wildcat69410

BTW: About how long did it take you to make the scenes,
    render them, and then composite and edit them all
    together?

9. HenrikSolberg

Mar 19, 2002
    This 3d montage is actually a part of a school project I've done. The project was to go in depth in one particular subject and I went for video-->and 3d animation. So the project went for about 4 months, but I did many other thing besides this 3d montage. I've made 6 scenes, about 7 minutes of 3d animation. Then I used these 7 minutes in editing to make many different type of films. One of the films I've made is this 3d montage. Another is a music video. The music video actually went in on 4th place in the video-category in UKM (Norwegian Youth Festival of Art).

But how long time I used to render the scenes? I honestly don't remember every scene, but I do remember that the scene over Coruscant (the orange scene as I call it) used 10 minutes +/- per frame when the space station was in the picture! And the Asteroid scene (with about 10.000 asteroids) used about 5. minutes per frame! So rendering took long time!

10. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    I love the music with the montage. Very nice.

11. HenrikSolberg

Mar 19, 2002
    The music is by Vangelis! Called "Fields of Coral"! Really not my style of music, but it fits to the film, and that's what matter!

12. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    Believe it or not, Film is 80% audio. If the musid fits, then why change it?

13. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    The idea is sound, and the execution in that area was pretty good (fading from wireframe/quickshade/render, etc). The rendered versions could use a bit more dynamic lighting here and there, and the whole thing needs motion blur. Some of the animation looked a little stiff, especially when things were taking off or landing, but otherwise it looked pretty good.

14. HenrikSolberg

Mar 19, 2002
    I agree with your critism!

15. G-Unit

G-Unit Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2004
    Yeah, hope you do take requests, because that is awesome!!

16. HenrikSolberg

Mar 19, 2002
    Maybe I can. That depends really how much work it is and what it is! I am only home in the weekends for the moment and dosen't have much time. But maybe I can help someone if needed. But only maybe!

17. Antilles01

Antilles01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 5, 2001
    yeah this guy needs to be working on some fan films, pronto. Smash up job (that means 'good work' :D)

18. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    I'm looking.

I'm always looking.

19. G-Unit

G-Unit Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2004
    Well, at least he did not say no. Will defintely keep an eye on his projects.

20. HenrikSolberg

Mar 19, 2002
    I've added one more little film from my 3d project. This film is called "Celestial Symphony" and is a kind of a combination of a artfilm and a musicvideo!

Here is the link:
    Celestial Symphony

The file is a Windows Media Player file on 13,2 MB!

This film actually came in on 4th place in the Norwegian Youth Festival of Art!

21. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    Hmmm....

Here's my review on this second montage:

**Technical**
    Well, I don't know if it's the file or the computer I was using, but the audio and the video quality was rather poor. It was jumpy and kept skipping. I'm not sure what the deal was.

**Viewing**
    This was a very interesting piece. Unfortunately, 4 minutes didn't tell me very much of a story. It was a whole bunch of different ships flying through Coruscant and Tatooine.

I was a little board by the whole thing. Perhaps in part by the poor technical quality, but also, it was 4:14 of this nice (but sappy) song, and not a whole lot else happening. But the talent for things is still there.

22. marethawk

marethawk Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2005
    Nice work on your montage. I only seen the first, but it was very well done for fan filming. My fan film, getting ready to kick off in Spring 2005, needs help. The CGI artist has moved and was unable to complete the shots. Now, I must find someone to help us out with the fan film. If you decided to do requests, look me up.

23. Ravn

Ravn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2004
    WOW
    I watched that with my jaw dropped. it's brilliant!
    kjempe bra :D

24. HenrikSolberg

Mar 19, 2002
    Thank you! Well, I am currently working with an film now, so I am pretty occupied in the coming months! But thank you for your feedback!

Og til og med fra Sverige!!! (talking to fellow Scandinavian!)

25. Red-2

Red-2 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    O my dear god that was good, i was in a trance!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.