main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Star Wars 3D?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by _Sublime_Skywalker_, Jan 26, 2017.

1. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    If there's another thread this should be going in, please lock and re-direct.

I was just thinking about seeing TPM in 3D in 2010/2011 ish. I remember at the time Lucasfilm and it's team was working on releasing all six SW movies in 3D to theaters, but I believe they only made TPM and then stopped.

Are they ever going to release the other films on the big screen in 3D? Obviously this was just before Disney bought it out, and I'm sure the ST and the multiple spin offs we've been promised are taking up most of their energy, time and money... but it would be a real shame if TPM was the only one out of the six film saga to be seen in 3D in theaters. Did Disney just put the axe on it, or will it just be postponed until the ST is done and then they can cash out on all 9 films in 3D at once?

Seems pretty unimportant, but I actually really enjoyed seeing original'ish SW on the big screen again, and in 3D to boot. I would have loved to have seen the rest of the films grace the screen...

2. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    I don't know what the status of the OT conversions are, but AOTC and ROTS were finished and were even screened at one of the Celebrations. I don't know if they'll ever get home releases though and I'd imagine that the OT conversions were cancelled (otherwise, why wouldn't they also be shown at the Celebration?).

3. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    My understanding is that the 3D versions of 2 and 3 were completed. ROTS 3D was screened at the most recent Star Wars celebration. AOTC 3D I believe was also screened at some point before that but I'm not sure.

4. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    A 3-D re-release of ROTS may push it into the billion dollar club.

5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I dont think Disney has current plans to release the remaining OT or PT movies in 3D because of the fear (realistic or not) that the 3D movies will over saturate the market and interfere with the current schedule of new Star War movie releases.

6. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    So they released TPM worldwide, but only released AOTC and ROTS in 3D at Celebration? Seems alittle unfair, I would've loved to have seen both in 3D at a cinema.

Yeah Bazinga'd that's kinda what I figured, they've got a whole new cash cow to sell action figures with. I still think that maybe after the ST is done they might gradually re-release them in 3D one by one, just to keep that steady cash flow going.

Anyone on these boards get to see ROTS in 3D? If so, what was it like? I'd imagine the battle over Coruscant would've been especially amazing..and the duel...oh the duelllll...

Sab Jo and Darth Basin like this.
  7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Honestly, they should just release the 3D PT directly to BD and be done with it.

Sab Jo and _Sublime_Skywalker_ like this.
  8. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Agreed. Disney is going to want to keep the collective memory of the OT and PT fresh in everyone's mind.

Sab Jo likes this.
  9. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    6 or 7 years ago I saw the 3D conversion of the early scenes of ANH, and if that's what's in the pipeline I neither want to see or own it (although I'm a big 3D fan).

When the Star Destroyer flew over Tatooine I giggled, it looked like a model miniature and I started searching the strings attached to it.

Took me a couple of days to figure it out (couldn't see the forest because of the trees). Thing is that in the 3D conversion industry some people or directors accidentally (or deliberately) DO NOT GET that the range of stereoscopic vision of our eyes ends the latest after 200 yards.

Therefore, when we look at a distant plane, ship and most definitely the moon it's not in 3D because it's just simply too far away. You make such an object show up in 3D and your subconsciousness will automatically- based on life experience - tell you it's fake because it never could or should look 3D.

So the 1 mile long Star Destroyer should have shown up in 2D, but since it now was 3D it did look like a miniature model and destroyed the suspension of disbelief.

Good thing is that it would be an easy thing to switch off the 3D effect in such scenes, if that were happening I'd be looking forward with interest to such a release. :)