main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars #4: In The Shadow of Yavin, part 4 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Jan 16, 2013.

1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Fair enough, my Huttese friend. You have good points here. :) However, why did Palpatine allow a Force user to live on Endor for so long? I'm talking about the Nightsister Charal, of course. The Emperor has been so eager to eliminate all remaining Forceful individuals, you'd think he would have killed that one too.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    ...I didn't say those things. :p

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The trouble with the Ewok films then becomes- how come we never see the DS2 in orbit? Considering we can actually see Endor itself for once, it'd be an odd oversight, especially given the apparently wide area those stories cover.

4. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Well, TFNCooper I didn't mean to say you did say it. :p
    But your post made me think that I'm less troubled by the state of progress in the construction f the DS than by the fact it happens around Endor from the very beginning. ;-)

As a matter of fact, I used to assume that the construction location of the DS2 had moved throughout the process, just as it was the case with DS1. The Ewok movies take place in 3.5 ABY, so I just assumed that the DS2 was elsewhere at the time.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That actually might work- they start construction at Endor orbit, move it elsewhere at some point, scout a place for the shield generator sometime just before the Towani family crashes. Then the DS IVBG happens and moves it back to Endor...

6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Mount Sorrow was upset because the strange metal object in the sky scared him, so he made sure the clouds blocked out the Death Star at all times, sparing him the sight, and keeping the Ewoks unaware of what was going on.

LelalMekha likes this.
  7. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Or, alternatively, Charal used her "Summon Storm" Nightsister power to achieve the same result.

Zorrixor likes this.
  8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    She might actually been exiled there by him just for the lols of it.

As LelalMekha mentioned it could actually easily have been on another part of the sky during the films. The DS would likely only have been moved into a stationary orbit over a certain part of the moon once the shield was set up to protect it.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If it wasn't stationary then it would increase the odds of seeing it, not decrease it.

10. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Would depend on how it rotates.

11. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Well, by the time of the second Ewok movie, Charal and the Marauders have been stranded there for one hundred years (per The Illustrated Star Wars Universe and The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia). They all are supercentenarians. The point is: if Palpatine knew there was a lone Nightsister on Endor, why didn't he either try to eliminate her or enlist her as a dark minion? She certainly would have followed the Emperor, since she was eager to leave Endor.

12. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    He might really just not have cared about a lone force witch on some back end planet. Not the first time after all as there are several primitive force adepts the Emperor really never bothered with all that much. Alternatively he really didn’t know, not like all force users are like magnets to each other.

13. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Well, in The Illustrated Star Wars Universe, it is stated that Sgt. Jhorn did warn Palpatine about Charal's presence. "The Force witch Charal, who called herself a Nightsister, freed us after promise to take her with us when the retrieval ship homed in our beacon." Jhorn and his men, however, did not hold to their promise, and they left Endor without Charal.

But you're right, maybe Palpatine thought it was safer to let her stranded on Endor, where she couldn't harm his plans and was quite content with being a petty "Witch-Queen." After all, he did the same thing with the Nightsisters of Dathomir ; he didn't destroy them, he only made sure they could not leave the planet.

14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    If the entire planet of Endor can just just out of frame in Jedi, I'm totally fine with the Death Star being just out of frame in the Ewok movies.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    "The Forest Moon of Endor: One Hell of a Blindspot."

16. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Finally got my hands into this issue too! And though it advances terribly slowly, I must say I love this series to bits! Agreed with AdmiralNick22 : Mon Mothma's supreb here, Birra Seah very interesting - and Wedge in characters [face_peace] IAnd the Han &Chewie opnening just rocked!

Also, I like to see Leia so determined - it fits her well! And Luke is of course disobeying orders again :p That's an approach I like SOOO much more than his subdued attitude in CoO!!!

A lot of questions rise, though. Was Slave ! contacting Mon Mothma??? How could Prithi know what Luke was hearing - and what was Artoo doing in the data chore? Also, how could anyone know where Leia & Wedge were headed unless it was Tess - and she seems to be fighting alongside them? I really can't wait to the #5!

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  17. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I was surprised to see the Empire was still chasing after Leia's secret squadron. So I'm assuming the spy is in her squadron?

I loved the moment between Mon Mothma and the Mon Calamari.

18. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Agreed. It was a rather simple and routine exchange, but it captured the fire of Mon Mothma's devotion to the Rebellion. Plus it was a nice nod to the old WEG concept that Mon Cals were rather orderly and by the book in regards to taking or following orders.

--Adm. Nick

kataja and TrandoJedi like this.
  19. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    The expression of that officer was SO funny! And of course Luke's now allowed to fly away because he takes his new orders literally.