main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #44-49: Mutiny at Mon Cala (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Mar 1, 2018.

1. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Why do they keep portraying Leia with staffs or staff like weapons?

Do they want each OT hero to have their specific weapon? Leia looks just fine to me with her blaster.

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    @AdmiralNick22.

Get your fishy backside here, now. That cover!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    WOW, WOW, WOW! ^:)^

—Adm. Nick

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, Marquez is a feckin' brilliant artist.

5. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I'm very curious how this arc will end. I don't doubt that the Mon Cala merchant fleet will make it to the Alliance, but I'm curious if Mon Cala will be liberated or if it will be in a state of prolonged insurrection. The state of Mon Cala between 1 ABY - 4 ABY isn't full set in stone yet. It's liberated and part of the New Republic by the time the New Republic rises, but I'm still wondering if it's full liberation occurs during the Rebellion or happens between 4-5 ABY.

Either way, I'm super stoked for this arc! :D

--Adm. Nick

6. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    looks like we may see the formation of Rogue Squadron in this arc as
    Wedge introduces Luke to Hobbie and Zev
    in SW #45.

Revanfan1 and tatooinesandworm like this.
  7. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Wow, what an issue! Even the art was better... so much to unpack!

• Red Squadron fans, assemble! After reuniting with Wedge and meeting Hobbie & Zev, Luke laments the loss of his squadmates at Yavin. He names all ten pilots that were lost. :_|
    • We see the Rebel High Command meet to discuss recent events. Mon Mothma, plus all of the officers introduced in RO as being the military part of the council.
    • General Hera Syndulla and Zeb are at the council meeting!! :hera::zeb:
    • We learn that Hera's been working hard training starfighter pilots, as the Alliance is preparing squadrons in advance of their (hopeful) acquisition of a new batch of Mon Cala cruisers from Leia's current mission.
    • General Draven has a GREAT part in this issue. He's actually very cool and helpful, fans of Draven will love this.
    Great stuff, I highly recommend this issue!

EDIT: Also, I'm gonna sticky this thread at the top with the rest of the comic threads.

--Adm. Nick

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  8. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    This particular bit is a nice touch of continuity with the Dr. Aphra comic, where we learn things are not exactly going according to plan.

9. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Personally I don’t think the art has been worse. This was one of the lowest points in the low art point of the series for me.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Darth_Accipiter likes this.
  10. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    jeez, Luke actually had milk instead of booze. Boring jedi aspirant.

11. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I'm loving the dog with her shot glass seated at the mess hall table. Laika the Soviet space dog made it to the GFFA and is swapping stories with that Mon Cal pilot while drinking everyone else under the table.

[​IMG]

12. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I'm not a fan of the art, but this issue seemed to be less painful. The stuff with Wedge, Luke, and Han is atrocious. However, the stuff during the Rebel council meeting is not that bad. Of course, it's still not what I'd prefer, but I was SLIGHTLY encouraged.

Trust me, as the boards biggest Mon Cala fan, I'd love better art. At least the story itself is well written and solid so far!

--Adm. Nick

13. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    I was surprised to see a cameo from
    Zeb. We havent seen much of him outside of the show, and I'm pretty sure this is the first time we've seen him with the alliance post-ANH.

14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Now that the show's over,

we know he didn't die. Before the show ended there was always the chance he died, so they wouldn't want to spoil it. Hera, we knew was alive from R1 so they were more free to use her post-Rebels. However, even then they used her very sparingly, and it's only now that the show's over that she is popping up in the comics.

Personally, I'm really glad they're integrating them like this. It makes things seem really cohesive.

15. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Good issue. There definitely is a lot more direction to this series now that Gillen has taken over (before it just seemed like one random adventure of Han, Luke, and Leia after another). We will probably get the formation of Rogue Squadron before long. Obviously we now know the Aphra comic and this comic aren't taking place simultaneously. I'm guessing the events being currently depicted in the Aphra series happen a little bit before this issue.

Also I think they may have been trying to have a little fun with us canon junkies there at the end. See how many would just throw their issue up in the air as soon as they saw the site of Bail Organa after the events of Ep. IV.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  16. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    I gotta say, I'm really loving the way both this series and Vader right now are tying together the OT, Rebels and Rogue One as well as existing comics lore - although it does make me wish we had got a bit more of this type of thing in Rebels itself. Gillen's Vader run was probably my favourite thing that the new canon has done yet across all of the books and comics, and with the usual caveats about the art, this is looking like it might be a contender to match it.

17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I MISSED THE DOG ALIEN?!? Dammit, I'm so easily distracted by Mon Calamari that I missed that. I need to know more about this species...

--Adm. Nick

18. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Cannot wait to read this issue. Both as a Rogue Squadron fan and as a staunch Draven defender. Does this arc continue the thread for that character, that I was talking about in my 1138 article?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    You will absolutely LOVE General Draven in this issue. It has flavors of his character from Rogue One, but he is also less of an a-hole and we see his commitment to the Alliance's goals. ;)

--Adm. Nick

Jedi Ben and vncredleader like this.
  20. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    And worse for me, this was practically the only thing Luke did in 44. Outside of sticking up for Leia and a milk joke, you could forget he was with Han and Leia.

He sure is always mopey nowadays. Hopefully that’ll change later. I only have 44 so far. I echo the complaints about the art, but I’m stoked to be on mon Cala. Han making the transition from criminal to rebel is also fun.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  21. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Star Wars #46 preview.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    MonCalaDrome is a word now. :p

--Adm. Nick

Barriss_Coffee and Sinrebirth like this.
  23. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Well at least the art is not that bad so far.

24. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I love that line from Han.I read it in Harrison Ford's voice and everything. Not as big a fan of the reason Leia is giving as to why the Clawdite won't run though.

25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I thought that, too. Not bad at all, comparatively.