main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars #5: In The Shadow of Yavin, part 5 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gorefiend, May 8, 2013.

1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Somehow we don’t seem to have a thread for this one yet and it came out today, so sticky pls. :)

Imperial Center underworld is awesome, especially the bar and street shoots and makes one lament the passing of 1313 even more. Also Imperial Centre Waste Disposal is mentioned and kind of shown! Also Bossk ;)

The battle scenes meanwhile are a nice homage to the X-Wing series. Whilst our New Moff actually looked less disturbing in Kuati Robes.

Edit: For Nick

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb234/warlordkang/rebelfleet_zpsbf4cf53a.jpg

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Bless you my friend! :D

I like that the ships are back to standard gray. Plus, I am totally digging the consistent use of new designs. Alot of Gallofree-type starships. A Fleet Junkies dream come true!

--Adm. Nick

3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Good issue. A lot of suspense is built up and questions raised, especially about all the mysterious females. I just have one, major "issue" with this issue.

I think this is the second time the Imperials thoroughly get their asses kicked in space combat. A squad of X-winds takes down a squad of TIE-Interceptor and an Interdictor cruiser. This is just too much and takes all tension away from future battles, especially as Leia is shown as some sort of genius space battle tactician, a skill she never possessed in the movies.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I swear, Wood has to read these threads, as he's had a Rebel fleet panel at least once an issue. :p

Anyway, another fun issue. Interesting stuff with Luke and Prithi. I continue to really like this art, especially in the Coruscant Underworld scenes.

Also, I think it's relevant to mention this year's FCBD issue, since it's also written by Wood. I liked it. It's just a badass little story with Vader and the Devastator.

Gorefiend likes this.
  5. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I was hoping for a reveal about our new acting Moff, but nothing, alas. It seems, however, that she is indeed Force-sensitive. And I still think there's more to her and Vader than meets the eye.

6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    This arc will have six issues, correct? I haven't actually read this series yet, and at this point have decided I might as well just read it all in one go when the arc finishes.

EDIT: Doh. In the future, I should probably make a habit of actually reading the thread title that I'm replying to. Carry on.

7. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Any more Rebel Fleet shots?

The issues typically have 1-3 shots, so I figured I would ask. Can't grab this from my LCS until Sunday.

--Adm. Nick

8. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Nep, though lots of X-Wing shoots as the TIEs and X-Wings are going at it this issue.

9. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    And awesome ones at that! I think I have a new favorite artist (and colorist! the colors!)... they really use the GCW aesthetics to their fullest.

Coruscant was great, too -- actually in the first Coruscant panel you see what I think is supposed to be the shaft leading down to level 1313 from the video game trailer.

One of the best things of this comic IMO is its incredibly effective use of panels -- the horizontal lines in the TIE/X-Wing battle; a huge Boba Fett practically pushing his way out of the page... the full page for Leia's drifting X-Wing... [face_hypnotized]

Gorefiend likes this.
  10. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Boba Fett's appearance actually was highly disappointing to me in this comic. He's just got too much Wolverine Publicity at this point. Bossk alone would have been awesome to see, but not, wunder-fett has to appear.

11. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    My thought exactly, especially since Wood has mentioned he is a huge Bossk fan, though of course it could still happen that Boba drops out and Bossk sticks around.

12. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    I have a love/hate relationship with this series. Love, beacuse I love all I've erad to bits! Hate because I always get my issues later than anyone else :p

What news about Luke and Prithi?

I really hope they continue it! I like that Luke and Wedge's freidnship has a bit of a rocky start and would love to see it develop. Among other things! There's far too much good in this for just six issues!!!

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Really good action issue here. That opening page is absolutely fantastic. Gorgeous art, fun angle and the ominous interdictor and ISD in the background. The stretched/fish-eye lens-like stylization to the series makes the space battles a bit more wild feeling.

The art constinued to be solid for the Coruscant scenes- really felt crowded and seedy. If that's a Chandra-Fan, it's the meanest looking little fella I've ever seen...

The one part the art stylization is still a bit odd to me is the bucket heads. Vader and Fett have these tiny helmets going on that look more conforming that what we usually see. If we averaged them out with Lord Helmet, we might get a normal Vader helmet ;).

The dialogue clearly sets this after Yavin, so I think we can breathe a bit about the Executor/SSD presence- even if the two months reference is some kind of time compression retcon (which I happen to know is impossible so we can ignore that possibility for now ;)), there's no need for "it launched earlier than we thought" change of events.

14. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    What does the dialogue say?

TC

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Wedge (I think?) says "We all just barely made it off of Yavin alive."

That will also, conveniently, track with the Rebel Force "months" split and Luke having not heard from Ben, which would have also set this story after those books (which still have them on Yavin, at least initially [haven't read them all yet]).

16. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    I've read five issues now, and I just don't get it. I'm not feeling this series at all. I want to, but it just feels "meh". I think I'll just go back to reading the old Marvel run to feed the OT need.

Dr. Steve Brule and Heero_Yuy like this.
  17. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Maybe I'm just not used to reading comics issue-by-issue, but this feels a little weird to me.

18. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    It does feel more like small parts of the larger story rather than having each story stand on its own. But then, Dark Times has been giving me that same feeling lately, too, and it tends to be my favorite comic. I'm actually most interested in the shape Leia is in, even knowing that she obviously makes it. Holding your hand to your stomach area while its covered in blood tends to be fictional shorthand for "really bad shape". Plus, I just like the typical pilot chatter we're getting. And I loved that first shot of the Imperial pilot in his TIE. Very menacing.

19. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I think most comic series these days tend to be read better in arcs. Except for Hawkeye, which works perfectly in episodic format. It's why I'm holding off on this series, at least.

20. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I'll keep up with this if only because I'm a Leia fangirl and like Leia-centric stories.

21. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I actually think this is one of my favorite Leia-centric stories I've read. Definitely the highlight of the arc, IMO. And she gets most of this issue.

22. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Rather enjoyed this issue!
    The Imps expected standard tactics from the rebels and were caught out not because Leia is some tactical prodigy just experienced in the kind of tricks that would scare Wedge![face_devil]
    First time we've seen this stuff is dangerous and the Imperials are very capable![face_praying]
    So they've been spying on Leia specifically... hmm Artoo is very busy and Luke is on his way now I'm wondering how his new girfriend works into this?
    Looking forward to the next issue!

23. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    This series is hit or miss for me. It reminds me of things I didn't like about the BSG reboot; also the JJA Trek reboot. But some of it is very good. I like the cloak & dagger politics (big nod to Zahn) but the main characters seem . . . off to me. Hoping it gets better as it goes on. At this point, I prefer the Goodwin/Infantino take on the "post Yavin battle" events. But this is better than the Russ Manning version (in the story dept, not the art dept) and it's certainly superior to the frankly bizarre Thomas/Chaykin take. So we'll see. . .

24. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I loved Leia calling the Rebel Fleet the "Home Fleet". Makes sense, plus it ties nicely to Home One.

--Adm. Nick

kataja likes this.
  25. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    What is wrong with main characters? They seem to be perfectly in character to me.

kataja likes this.