main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars #6: In the Shadow of Yavin, part 6 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MistrX, Mar 13, 2013.

1. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    This honestly might be the first thread I ever started. But I didn't see it yet, so...

[​IMG]

STAR WARS (2013) #6
    Brian Wood (W), Carlos D’Anda (A), Gabe Eltaeb (C), and Rodolfo Migliari (Cover)

On sale June 12
    FC, 32 pages
    $2.99
    Ongoing

When he and Chewbacca are cornered by Imperials, Han Solo resorts to an improvised plan—with the most dangerous results imaginable! Meanwhile, half a galaxy away, Princess Leia and Wedge Antilles prepare for certain death, unaware that Luke Skywalker has an improvisation of his own. And Darth Vader is watching . . .

Sketch variant by Alex Ross!

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, they're not quite new clothes, but I'll take Han getting to wear his TESB clothes over yet another installment of Han Solo, the man who wouldn't be caught dead without a vest.

3. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    It's a nice Vader rendition. Not as enthusiastic about everyone else.

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I think that Luke looks good, but Leia and Han are definitely off. Ditto for Chewie.

But hey, I buy these for the story & art on the inside, not the covers. :p

--Adm. Nick

5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  6. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
  7. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Sadly not.

8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I dunno, the issue didn't feel very interesting. Again the Imperials butts are kicked way too easily. Right now I really can't take them seriously anymore. I kinda feel like I am waiting for the real story to start but it doesn't happen.

Most interesting part:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53085253/Star Wars 006-022.jpg

It seems they finally did it and had Vader fall on love with another woman. This makes me a very happy puppy and I am very curious what will come of it.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    re: DP's spoiler

Maybe it works better in context, but that line doesn't feel right coming from Vader.

10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Exactly. Which is why I think Woods is hinting at something. Vader wouldn't behave in such a fashion unless there is a specific reason for it.

11. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I know right? She certainly entered his good graces very quickly. I was hoping to see more of her in that issue. Actually, I'm still under the impression that she and Vader already new each other before their "first" meeting...

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  12. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Haha, this can only become more and more awkward. I mean can you imagine Vader making a compliment or admitting his feelings? He'd probably say something like "I value your efficiency" or "I find your performance adequate".

Unfortunately Woods stories seem a bit dry in the humor department so far.

13. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, Vader saying that line is a bit... off. Usually its "You better succeed or else".

Also... you remember how sometimes the X-wings seemed overpowered in the X-wing books/comics? Its kind of worse here. Which shouldn't be a surprise after the last five issues.

I wonder how much changed from when this issue was first plotted to the actual issue. For instance, Han doesn't do anything this whole issue. He doesn't actually appear until the end in one cryptic panel. A lot of threads are started, but... while I know this is only the beginning, but after six issues, not sure if this is the new status quo or if all those plots still have a long way to go. Is this just this author's way of writing? Sorry, haven't read his work before.

I'm honestly not sure if I'll keep following this series. The art is great, Mon Mothma and Leia are both very well-written, Wedge too, its just... not too sure about what's happening. For instance, those pilots Leia assembled, we still barely know them, we haven't seen Han do too much (aside from shoot one spy and run) and Luke is still in the infancy of his Force training. I hope things will pick up, but we'll see. Its not a bad story, but I can barely remember what happened last month, let alone six issues ago.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  14. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    So Luke has been promoted to the rank of Lieutenant. According to the wook (I'm at work so I can't check) he was a Lieutenant Commander when he met Able (if someone could check that issue of Empire, it would be great). If true then this series is set before Empire (or at least that issue). I think that would work seeing as Empire played on Luke's Jedi abilities and fame as the guy who blew up the Death Star while Star Wood hasn't gone near any of it (I can't recall if Vader says anything about Skywalker in this story).

As for the story itself: I like it and I want to see where they are going with it (I also like seeing more of Leia and Mothma). This "arc" really seems like an intro to a bigger/longer story. I'm all for that, I just hope it doesn't get the axe or something (having Legacy back is awesome but I also wish they'd churn out at least one more story arc for NJO to wrap it up).

15. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    Platonic love, that's it. I don't want to see Vader doing anything like this:
    [​IMG]

Let's not even get into what happened to his crotch when he got burned...[face_skull]

Gorefiend likes this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    One word: Prosthetics!

17. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    What's the fun for Vader in that?

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    This is one area best left to the imagination!

19. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    That was a very bland issue. The past three issues of the series have been fairly dull and uninspiring... started with a lot of promise, but so far... meh.

Yancy

Darth_Martus and Darth_Pevra like this.
  20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Lol, like they would dare.

Anyways, like all the girls I read some fanfiction and now nothing can ever scare me again. :p

kataja likes this.
  21. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

The trick doesn't really make sense to me because if they have fusion reactors with that sort of insane yield that generates a blast field that cripples two capital ships (the Imperial pilot seems unsure if Devestator survived and, iirc, we see the Interdictor crumpling in the explosion) then why aren't they just tipping their torpedoes with the things and killing ISD's all day long?

There really wasn't a trick involved so much as planting a mine with a massive blast radius in the path of the ISD since they knew the trajectory it'd come in on.

I'm normally the first one who waves off the "science" in Star Wars, but it kinda breaks what we know about X-Wings and my suspension of disbelief. I also start wondering why X-Wings aren't blowing apart in kilometer spanning blast radi more often if their reactors can cook off like that.

22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Bah, you don't get it. The rebels are so cool and badass that they simply make it happen. Next issue Admiral Ackbar punches an ISD in the nose and because of his sheer willpower and skill the capital ship will fall before his infinite might.

23. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    The Colonel doesn’t seem sure what is even happening and the Devastator makes it out fine (after all it get to die at the Battle of Endor), whilst the Interdictor only seems to be damaged by the blast, whilst only the TIEs are obliterated. Also Leia seems rather worried about what they are doing, properly because it could go off to soon, or not at all, so they really just seemed to have been insanely lucky here that it worked at all. My guess would be the thing is way too unstable to use for regular weapons use, or simply utterly unpredictable. Though yes it also struck me as a little to weird.

24. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I'd buy that issue. :D

--Adm. Nick

25. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, that part was odd, wasn't sure if the Devastator was blown up, or had managed to jump out or what (I knew it probably hadn't been blown up as ending the Devastator here would be a bit too much). I know at least part of the Interdictor was damaged, but otherwise not sure about it. Also not sure if there were any mentions to the interdictor powering up its gravity well projectors, but it probably didn't have time yet, as everybody else jumped out. I don't mind Bircher as an opponent for right now, at least he's competent enough to retreat when it looks like something crazy is about to happen.

The reactor trick is still somewhat odd though. I remember in the X-wing books it took at least a dozen torpedoes to even dent a Star Destroyer and even then, short of blowing up the bridge, doing enough damage to force an Impstar to retreat is much harder. The writing is still good though, such as the line about how for most of the galaxy the Imperial Star Destroyer is the ultimate fear symbol, but Luke, Leia and Wedge already saw the Death Star and so an Impstar doesn't scare them.

Also the number of Force sensitives is getting a bit much. There's Luke, that other girl, and then the new Death Star construction director, what's her name. None of them are Jedi at least (this isn't TFU), but still.