main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars #7: Untitled, part 1 (of ?)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    The interview doesn't give a pretty picture for the future. It seems we will get even more convoluted plotstrings and little in the way of resolution.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Yep my last USA trip was somewhat WTF in that regard. ;)

Apparently comes with lots of military parades.

This is apprently a pretty good example
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Declaration_of_a_New_Order

General Immodet likes this.
  3. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I see a resolution . . .
    It sounds like the Alliance forms another (like the twelfth, I swear) base before Hoth, which sounds like a logical place to end the series.

4. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yea, that much is obvious.
    But I'm not sure we'll ever get an explanation for all the other stuff, like Leia flying an X-wing (just where did she learn that?), or what's off with Birra Seah and Prithi and Colonel Replacement (just how is a Colonel supposed to replace Vader?!) and so on.

5. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Same place she learned to shoot, back on Alderaan

6. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Wait a second...

7. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Or by Giles Durane...
    I wonder why Brian Wood introduced Birra Seah. What will her place in the overall story be?
    It seems Wood is trying to make Colonel Bircher into a new Baron Fel.
    As long as they stick to the Goodwin storyline, that is good by me.
    When I last traveled to the US, I just could not watch the news. It was so dull.
    The Libyan Civil War was going on at that moment (and sometimes I still think it is), but it was not even mentioned.
    US soldies were intervening in the conflict and they never paid any attention to it. Can you believe it?

Gorefiend likes this.
  8. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I wonder why she then never flew a starship in the entire OT. In the battle of Yavin the Rebels were short on pilots (that's why they let Luke fly). If she knows how to fly, it wouldn't make sense that she remained in base.

Leia is well suited for combat on ground, but she was never a fighter-pilot.

9. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Possible she was not up to spec at the time, Luke had tons of experience with Skyhoopers and scored insanely well in the simulator, if he had not, it is easily possible that she would have gotten his fighter. In ESB she actually flies the Falcon together with Chewie when they flee Cloud City. In ROTJ she was part of the ground mission. Whilst the EU has her fly fighters several times, the first book in fact has her at the controls of a Y-Wing, well before the current SW comics.

10. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Leia as a pilot doesn't bother me. In a Galaxy where everyone seems to fly, it seems weird that she wouldn't. Plus, it empowers her character in a way I like.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Padme flew her own ship in the prequels when Anakin wasn't with her. It didn't even cross my mind that Leia wouldn't know how.

12. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I really like Leia and it annoys me when she is portrayed as a diplomat and very weak Jedi (why the hell is she so weak???) in the NJO. But she already has lots of skills she can put to good use, like her tactical aptitude or her aim with a blaster. It is simply unnecessary to make her some genius fighter pilot like everyone else.

13. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    She pretty much gave up on training her Jedi Skills before the NJO, which is the reason she is not that great at it during that period.

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the Corellia trilogy- book 1: Ambush at Corellia, Luke points out that while her training was different than his, it could be said to be complete- and presents her with a lightsaber as a graduation present.

They promptly have a practice- in which she wins.

15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Even then her training seemed shoddy at best, also there are 7 years in between during which she never seems to use the force. Just ask Katarn on how quickly such stuff seems to deteriorate.

16. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Leia was a symbol for the Rebellion. I do not think they would just let her be part of a suicide mission (which the Battle of Yavin clearly was). Apart from that, she also is a noble.

But yes, I agree with Pevra. Her taking control of an elite fighter squadron seems a bit off.

17. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I am not sure about your first paragraph. The DS was about to destroy the moon and kill all rebels, princesses or not. Under those circumstances I doubt anyone could keep Leia from participating in the mission (but because she is not a fighter pilot she didn't, even if Wood wants us to believe otherwise).

18. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Not enough fighters to go around for her to get one and the others just being better as pilots still seems the easiest fix here and as mentioned Wood is not the only one to place her in a fighter, Marvel did it as well, as did Foster.

19. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    But they were short on pilots, I thought? That was the entire reason why Luke got to fly one, I thought. Am I wrong? And why would a desert boy with no real spacecombat experience be taken over Leia?

20. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    As well as on fighters.

The reason Luke got to fly was because Biggs recommended him and he scored insanely high in the simulator test they had him run, whilst he had numerous hours logged in his Skyhopper (which was similar to the X-Wing to control), whilst also an impressive shoot. Leia might just have lacked experience with X-Wings (which she would have time to train on later) or also tried the simulator and just got a far worse score.

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    We see Leia flying a starfighter in Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

Maybe the comics show the start of her use of starfighters?

22. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    That would actually make sense because ESB is a full three years after ANH and the Empire is winning (in ESB opening crawl). I'd imagine they moved to several bases. Heck maybe Hoth is established in secret while satellite bases are made. If the Empire finds one the Rebellion would survive.