main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars 8 is going to be 'weird'

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Anakin's Daddy, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Snoke is going to resurrect the ancient Sith Ghost army, which will Overwhelm Luke and be forced to fight against all available ghost Jedi in Episode IX!!!

2. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011

The Force is at its best when it's trippy, mysterious, and mystical. That's why many people loved the Mortis arc from The Clone Wars series and the awesome series finale with Yoda in Season 6. So, if Rian Johnson gives the Force a "weird" feel to it, then let him.

3. hain23x01

hain23x01 Jedi Padawan

Apr 18, 2015
    I've seen "Looper" but not "Brick" it was always on my "must see" list back when I would see it in video stores back in the day but never got around to it. Now I need to go find it and see it.

4. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    As long as they make a SW movie that looks and feels like SW. I know that's cliche but Abrams nailed it. He left his shaky cams, lens flares, and other weird "trademarks" aside and it paid off. Disney won't allow things to get TOO weird since they are breaking every record that exists by having a movie that feels familiar. I don't doubt RJ will keep true to that and, while it will be darker and more mystical, I doubt it will be the NOIR of his other films. Disney has a good thing going. Rely on RJ's storytelling abilities without making the aesthetics too different.

All that said, Kasdan doesn't have a clue what Episode 8 will be like if he's not doing it.

5. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I mean Rian's movies have never been particularly "weird" in the traditional sense. But they do tend to take familiar formulas/stories, and put different spins on them. And I kind of think that, as has been said before, that this won't be the kind of sequel that people are expecting. Just like ESB was not the sequel that people who had seen ANH were probably expecting.

6. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I think I said this in another thread but I wouldn't be surprised if Episode 8 is kind of a SW twist on Phantom of the Opera where Rey actually SEEKS out Kylo due to some sort of fallout between her and Luke and tries to infiltrate the dark side by pretending to be willing to be trained by Kylo while searching for her origin. That would make an interesting twist.

7. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I think by "weird", it will incorporate Rian Johnson's more idiosyncratic and unconventional sensibilities as a filmmaker.

8. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I say the weirder the better(as long as it all kinda makes sense).

PymParticles likes this.
  9. TheForceMakesCoffee

TheForceMakesCoffee Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 25, 2015
    Something I loved in Looper which I think could translate to Star Wars is the scene in which JGL and Bruce Willis' character are talking about time travel, and Bruce basically gives up trying to explain the super detailed nuances about how it works and says it will just hurt your head.

Would be interesting to see him take that approach regarding the force in VIII, something I think will play a large part in Rian's SW.

10. choccy

choccy Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 18, 2004
    My take on this movie being "weird" from all the other comments on VIII I've read, could be that the first hour of the movie could be set in the past tying up all the missing pieces and then it returns to Rey training with Luke in current day. It would definitely be unusual for a SW movie to be setup this way but could work if done well and relevant. Maybe it could lead back in to Luke who it turns out is telling Rey about everything that has happened over the past 30+ years.

This could mean Han could then be in the movie, which would make sense given KK recent comments about everyone being in the movie.

Apparently JJ has already stated that having read the script for VIII he wishes he had directed it now because it is "that good".

Either way should be good.

So long as Rey (Which isn't her real name btw) doesn't turn out to have anything with Shimi Sky walker which I read today being a possibility

11. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    I think he misleads us cause TFA was done and served extremely safe. "Weird" is not their style, at least in a good sense.

12. Zev.Love.X

Zev.Love.X Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2015
    He could do a million different things with VIII that would be awesome. It's just the thought of backlash and possibly Disney influence (I agree TFA was extremely safe so who knows) holding the series back at this point. Go Rian! You can do it!!

13. Jedi_Master_Laker

Jedi_Master_Laker Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 27, 2002
    JJ staying on as exec. producer will keep Johnson from going too far. Johnson had influence in 7 is directing 8 and is helping in 9. So "weird" to me is one movie that does things completely different, breaking continuity. "Weird" with ideas spreading across 3 movies are new themes and a new continuity which is needed I think.

14. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I hope story wise , it will be darker but I like the way it was filmed, some cool angles I really enjoyed like when Ren was speed walking to Rey, but I do not want to see shakyness I really hate that form of filming. I think it will be darker though.

15. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    They've destroyed the Republic's homeworld.
    They've effed up the First Order/Empire.

They've basically ripped up the large scale politics in the Galaxy.

A nice clean slate.

16. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Has it been proved that RJ is writing the script for IX? First he was writing and directing both movies, then only the second, then also doing the treatment for the third.

17. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Luke would have slept with his sister. Robot Chicken did it instead.

18. interxavier01

interxavier01 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015

It's been confirmed Rian is writing the story treatment for IX. As the movie is still a few years away, the screenplay has not yet been written by anybody.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  19. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    It's strange that Rian is writing the story treatment for IX but not directing it.

20. interxavier01

interxavier01 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015

The same reason JJ could not direct VIII. Disney wants to release a SW movie every two years and this doesn't bode well with these people's schedules. By the time episode VIII enters post-production, episode IX is expected to enter pre-production and Rian can't do both at the same time. He can write the story or possibly the screenplay but asking him to direct will seriously burn him out.

The better question is why they did not ask JJ to come back for IX. Not that I like JJ but I feel like he's a safer bet than Colin Trevorrow.

21. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    "Weird" as in "a Force vision taking place in the Black Lodge-weird"?

22. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    He read the screenplay along with JJ so he kinda knows.

11-4D

Maybe but I also thought Maz castle was an old Jedi temple. That's what has kept her safe all these years.

23. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    it can be weird as long as it is star warsi. obv it wont go stanley kuprick odyssey now.

24. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I heard that JJ also didn't like filming the movie in the UK (he wanting to shoot it in LA or something, because he doesn't like being away from his family for long periods). And he did initially turn down directing TFA, and is what KK herself who convinced him to change his mind. So I think that he'd be happy with a less direct role moving forward.

Also, I like the idea of a different director doing each film.

25. DarthHavok

DarthHavok Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2002
    Apparently they don't feel as if they need to explain themselves.