main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars...A Love Story?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa, Sep 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    A lot of people discribe Star Wars as a love story. For that, it really depends on your point of view on the movies.

Lets take The Phantom Menace for example. The first time Anakin Skywalker laid eyes on Padmé Neberrie, you could feel the love. Anakin had a crush on Padmé, and she had the same for him. Romantic storyline? Of course.

In Attack of the Clones, when Anakin finally finds Padmé again from their ten year separation, you could still feel the many aspects you felt between them in TPM, and you could see that Padmé had taken a deeper immediate interest in Anakin.

From what we know about Episode III, we know the Clone Wars will be in full swing, which will put pressure on both Anakin and Padmé. Something takes a drastic turn and Anakin goes loco.

Then we are only given assumptions for what happened between Episode III and Episode IV, but we are given a good idea. The root of love has now turned to evil. The Republic and its loyalists have fallen under Emporer Palpatine. He is the most important man in the universe. The remaining survivors of the Republic that has not went under the shadow of Sidous has formed a group against the Empire called the Rebellion.

Then put into simple terms, the son of the #2 man in the universe, Darth Vader, a Corillian Smuggler, a Princess and a walking carpet define the future of the universe.

Is Star Wars a love story? No. Does it revolve around a fallen one? Yes.

How would you categorize Star Wars?

2. stacysatrip

stacysatrip Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    I think the love story is a component of it, and an important one, but I wouldn't categorize the entire saga as a love story. It's a lot of things, in terms of genre-- Action, Romance, Intrigue, Comedy, Drama, Tragedy--which is I think why it is so appealling. The love story is an important aspect of the Saga, because it results in the births of Luke and Leia, and I believe results in the redemption of Anakin Skywalker. I firmly believe that Anakin's love for Padmé is what turned him back; he was seeing the product of that love fried to a crisp and could not allow that to happen.

3. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    I wouldn't say Star Wars is a straight love story. I've never really thought of it as anything like that, or else I wouldn't watch it. Star Wars, to me, is extremely wide reaching. It covers so many aspects of genres, and love is just one. It's an esstenial part to the movies, yes, in that it builds up the entire movie: the birth of Luke. I mean, we have Anakin becoming Vader, sure. But without Luke, what would we have? A bunch of hot shots flying around trying to get this guy dead? Nah. Without Luke, we would just have another meaningless action/adventure movie. Speaking of which, Star Wars spans all genres. All of them. Angst, drama, comedy... it's all! GL made them in a way that's it beautiful and unqiue.

You can't just go and stick Star Wars in a specific catergory, it would be impossible. It's labeling that ones that it isn't that's hard. ;)

-Krystal

4. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    It's a lot of things, in terms of genre-- Action, Romance, Intrigue, Comedy, Drama, Tragedy--which is I think why it is so appealling.

Yes, I agree with that statement by stacysatrip...it truly is a mix of a lot of different things. Categorising is hard. ALthough people consider it Sci-Fi Adventure. ;)

Also, KrystalBlaze mentions that without the Anakin and Luke storyline there would be no meaning to all the action. True enough! :D

In my humble opinion the Star Wars Saga is about the life of a man (Anakin Skywalker), his discovery (TPM), his training(AOTC), his growth into manhood (AOTC), his fall to the dark side (Episode III), his life as a Sith Lord (ANH and ESB) and finally his redemption. (RoTJ)

In bringing Luke into the story we see how the love of a child was able to bring the fallen jedi back. It's something that we have seen in other movies.

It gives us that happy ending...but not in the typical manner. GL did a marvelous job didn't he? :cool:

5. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Chosen One star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    He most certainly did do a wonderful job! :D

One might go so far as to say that the "love" not only refers to the romance and marriage of Anakin and Padmé, but also to the strength of friendships, especially in the OT, and the love of family. Even after all those years in darkness, Vader returns to the light for his children - immediately for Luke, but of course, he had Leia on his mind at the end as well. Some might say he was thinking of his love for Padmé, which leads back to the romance, but I believe that Anakin overcame the dark side maybe more as a result of his love for his children. (I do agree that Vader must have been thinking about his wife though. Would be hard not to.)

I've always loved Star Wars for the character relationships and development as much as for the mythical, fantasy epic feel to it. I'm into people and the way they think and behave. And that's probably why I love SW. I can relate to it on a human emotional level.

Ah heck, I can't really explain it all the way I want to. Don't have the right words.

Star Wars is an epic...it has everything!!! :D You can't really call the whole saga a love story, but you can clearly see how love and goodness is what in the end conquers evil.

6. orangefuzz

orangefuzz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2003
    Being as epic as it is, Star Wars has many, many aspects and components to it that all contribute to the storyline. I wouldn't
    call all of Star Wars primarily a love story, but it definitley has many romance components to it.

7. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Well, if you count the bonds between friends and family as 'love' then yes, it is definitly a love story in that sense.

8. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    I feel it is more a movie about a family that family being the Skywalkers. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.