main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars - A Musical Journey / In Concert

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Gry Sarth, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    I can't believe nobody's discussing this already.

Yesterday, A Musical Journey premiered in London, in the O2 Arena. And it was absolutely brilliant! The way the music was edited, perfectly syncronized with the videos on the giant screen. The amazing quality of the THX sound, enhanced by color-changing lights and bombastic lasers at appropriate times. The engaging performance of Anthony Daniels as host and narrator of the entire saga. Plus the pre-show treats of the artifacts exhibition and the ever-entertaining presence of the 501st and Rebel Legion members.

This was a night to remember. If, for some reason, your fandom is faltering; if the Clone Wars show somehow left you feeling that Star Wars was not for you anymore; if you are starting to feel you're too old or too cynical or too busy to be a fan of this thing anymore; then this concert should certainly rekindle that flame anew! I tell you, watching the whole saga resumed in 2 hours, with jaw-dropping music and stunning visuals, presented by goldenrod himself is more than enough to make you fall in love with this all over again.

If there is one point of contention, though, it's the use of characters' lines superimposed on the music during certain tracks. Similar to that Duel of the Fates trailer. At times they really work well to enhance the emotion and storytelling of the piece, but at others I just wanted them to shut up so I could enjoy the music. On average I think it's ok.

If you get a chance to see this, don't hesitate to go.

2. jasperjones

jasperjones Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Yep, absolutely brilliant! So much fun and the music was incredible. Just an awesome, awesome experience. I thought the Sanctuary Moon section was incredible, as was the Clash of Lightsabres after the intermission. Congrats to everyone involved! Great exhibition too.

3. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Yeah, the Endor battle sequence was truly amazing. I remember exclaiming "Wow!" out-loud at the end. The Podrace Flag Parade was also a highlight. The arrangement seemed a little different at times, making it sound more like an epic action sequence. Also, looking around and actually BEING in a huge crowded arena as that music played slightly blurred the lines between fantasy and reality.

4. jasperjones

Oct 24, 2001
    Yeah, I know what you mean. The flag parade was awesome. I loved Anakin's theme as well. The way the curtains dropped after the FOx fanfare to reveal the screen with the famous words was fantastic. Thought Anthony Daniels did a superb job. Sorry, just blurting randomness! Truly brilliant night and I would urge anyone to check this out if they get the chance.

5. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Blurting randomness is the only real way of talking about this whole thing.

I must give special thanks to the staff at the O2. I had been stuck at the worst possible seat in the house, last level, last row, round the corner... But five minutes before the show started, an usher came to me and changed my ticket, sending me all the way down to the 1st level, in one of the first rows! I was ecstatic! Apparently they were not sold out, and were kind enough to relocate some of the more financially-challenged of us to amazing seats!

6. jasperjones

Oct 24, 2001
    The whole evening was very well organised from start to finish. Such a great atmosphere and very powerful. So many hair raising moments. Just superb.

7. Dusting_Crops_Boy

Dusting_Crops_Boy Jedi Youngling

Jan 15, 2002
    I went Friday night. Certainly entertaining, could have been a lot better though. Anthony Daniels was a good presenter, but he did seem to be playing it for an American audience, leaving strategic gaps for cheers and whoops - which you just aren't going to get that often from a crowd of Brits!

The video screen was a good size but the video sequences themselves were frankly not well edited. Years of planning (or so I heard) should result in better. The music was well played IMO, obviously not the LSO but a good performance. The "Forest Battle" (not a favourite track of mine) was quite awesome live.

The event somehow fell between two approaches and so properly succeeded at neither. It's not a straightforward musical concert, the dialogue clips playing spoiled that. But it's not what you could really call a show. Last year's "Doctor Who" Prom staged by the BBC at the Albert Hall was a stunning example of what the "Star Wars" event should have been; music played to well edited (and silent!) video montages, live performers in costume interacting with the audience, and a series of guest star presenters on stage.

I am glad I saw it, John Williams' music makes it worthwhile, but the event outside of that aspect is seriously lacking.

8. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I went last night and loved it. I was quite annoyed at the O2 though, because 2 days after I bought full price tickets they started selling as low as two for 15. Maybe they always do that, now I know.

But totally worth it still. I enjoyed the new costumes at the exhibit, though I seen most before are other traveling exhibitions. I agree with the others who have said the sometimes the dialog was annoying. I wish they showed the orchestra a bit more on the screens, since I was pretty far back, and that's one of my main interests in seeing something like this live. And the choir was not nearly as loud as they should have been (and never seen on a screen). But it was still fantastic hearing everything live. I though Across the Stars was especially well done, I liked the montage and the fact that they had images from the end of ROTS on the side screens (which btw were not terribly effective, why not two other actual projection screens?). I did wish for a wee bit more music from ROTS, besides just the main theme.

But a great time nonetheless. :)

9. Endor_Commando

Endor_Commando Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 15, 2007
    Went last night.

Awesome !!

The film montages were the same as on the 'Musical Journey' dvd which was included with the Revenge of the Sith soundtrack.

10. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Not quite the same. They were based on the DVD edit, but were considerably different. For one, there was a lot of Ep3 footage that wasn't present in the DVD.

11. Endor_Commando

Mar 15, 2007

I felt very emotional when the Throne Room music was played at the end.

12. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Emotional? I was flat out weeping at the "end credits". Truly wonderful experience.

13. Endor_Commando

Mar 15, 2007

Anyone get any merchandise ?
    I only bought the programme..huge and lavish.

14. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Didn't think anything there was worth it. And the program for 15 quid really didn't seem like a fair deal.

15. StarWarrior77

StarWarrior77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2008
    I wish that I could have been there! :( I hope they come to the U.S sometime soon! [face_praying]

16. A-Null

A-Null Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2009
    I went to the Friday showing and loved it. The exhibition was cool too. Seeing Darth Vader and Boba Fett up close was so COOL!

I bought a few bits, programme, fridge magnet and a t-shirt (navy blue with the Vader helmet made up of musical instruments and treble cleffs). It was over priced I agree but its a one off event (so I thought) in the UK so made the most of it.

I listened to the force cast a few weeks ago and apparently will tour Europe (coming back to the UK in November 2009), Asia and then the States for 2 years (you lucky beggers!!!) or something like that.

17. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    The world tour has been announced, starting this October in California. It seems the marketing guys weren't happy with the previous title, and now the show is called Star Wars: In Concert. I guess it sounds more mainstream or whatever...

Anyway, don't miss you chance to witness this when it gets near your location.

18. StarWarrior77

Oct 30, 2008
    SweeT! Now I have a chance to go....

19. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I still don't get it. What's the point of this? If I wanted to watch poorly edited film clips with distracting sound effects set to good music, I'd just pop in that Musical Journey DVD that came with the Episode III soundtrack.

20. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    Certainly it's not just a West coast and Oklahoma thing. Either my computer's wacking out or they haven't added other dates. I'd love to see this in person.

21. outrider462004

outrider462004 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2004
    And I thought it would never come to Sacramento CA. I hope I get tickets.

22. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I'm definitely going to go see this. :)

23. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    So I take it you've never gone to a music concert, where the band doesn't play the songs quite as perfectly as in the album and there's a guy shouting next to you? There's a lot to be said about the energy of a live presentation, whatever flaws it may carry. That said, the editing of the clips with the music was darn perfect, the orchestra was brilliant and the other visual effect went a long way towards enhancing the experience. Grantes, sometimes the superimposed dialogue was distracting, but that's the only quip I have about the whole thing. It's your choice, you can have a magical night out, hosted by Threepio himself, full of spectacle and energy, together with thousands of other fans, or you can just sit in your couch eating crisps and watching your dvd...

24. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I should clarify: that was sarcastic. I wouldn't rather watch that stupid DVD, I'd rather watch one of the films. By which I mean one of the first two. There are a number of reasons why I think this stage show is second rate. I do believe a concert of Star Wars music could be excellent, but this isn't it. The music, as good as it is, is just the same concert suites we've heard a million times before (Williams' alleged rearranging doesn't show). I don't see any narrative structure or efforts to unite the various pieces of music. The film clips, I would think, are distracting. I just don't like clips during concerts of movie music. The music should be able to stand on its own without the addition of clips to ignite the audience's memory. I mean, who could hear the Star Wars main theme and not be reminded of the films? The dialogue and sound effects (here I'm going by the Musical Journey DVD) are seemingly chosen at random. I was especially bothered by the "Light of the Force" video because it's all about Vader's redemption, but at the end Obi-Wan says "he's more machine now than man." Huh? There's no story structure, that's for sure. The sound effects for Death Star explosions and whatnot are jarring because you become accustomed to seeing clips devoid of sound, then all of a sudden one lone effect surprises you. As for Threepio and the fans... no thanks... I'm a fan of Star Wars when it's good, but it can get very, very bad (i.e. prequels, Clone Wars). Costumes and toy lightsabers? I grew out of those around the age of twelve.

25. StarWarrior77

Oct 30, 2008
    Yay! It seems that Star Wars: In Concert will be showing in Oklahoma, where I live!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.