Star Wars - A Musical Journey / In Concert

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Gry Sarth, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. X-Factor Jedi Knight

star 1
    This looks absolutely brilliant! It does not look "poorly edited film clips set to good music" to me. I think it's stunnig and the visuals accompanied by John William's wonderful music look breathtaking! I'm so excited to see this!
  2. wasno Jedi Padawan

Does anyone know if and when more cities will be add? If my hometown isn't added later I need to go to the OKC show, but really want to see it where I live.
  3. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I agree with Cerrabore. I'm not particularly fond of the way this show is put together. I'm sure it will be a nice enough experience, but it's not one I would pay much to see, the way I would with the following alternatives:

-The existing concert suites played WITHOUT video and dialogue/effects accompaniment. As Cerrabore said, those arrangements are designed to stand alone as music, and don't need the distracting additions.

-A whole Star Wars film with a live orchestra playing the score, like the special performance John Williams did for the E.T. re-release (and is available as an alternate audio track on the DVD). This is really the only instance in which the video/dialogue/effects should be incorporated.

-An extensively re-arranged full-length concert that carries the listener through the entire narrative of the saga (abridged, of course). No video/dialogue/effects accompaniment with this one, either. But a narrator describing the action storybook-style could work very well.

*Personally I'd only be interested in the OT films, but I'm sure there's an audience for such performances with the PT films, too.
  4. fn24 Jedi Padawan

I agree with Cerrabore too and wondered about the same thing that isn't this concert the same as the one on the DVD? But I also understand the flip side of the discussion that going to a concert is a different experience than listening to the music in the comfort of your own home. I think it all comes down to personal preference. Are you willing to spend $35-75 for a guaranteed memorable night with your family and friends and other Star Wars fans sharing the same joy and energy we get when we hear Star Wars OR would you rather save your money and instead get the same experience by holding your own concert event in your own home in a more intimate setting with your family and friends? Either way you choose it's a win win for us Star Wars/ John Williams fans.

Personally, I had the fortunate opportunity to see John Williams in concert when he conducted the SF symphony back in the mid 90's and I preferred the concert atmosphere. To me, it's more 'imaginative' and a deeper feeling when there are no videos or movie screens attached to the music. Not to say that there's anything wrong with the format of "Star Wars in Concert"...I'm just 'old school' in preferring a concert as being set in a concert hall rather than in the Shark Tank (home of the San Jose Sharks) in San Jose HP Pavillion in my area. But even in a John Williams concert, there are some slight variations in the arrangement of the familiar pieces and one of the reasons why listening to a familiar piece live can be a treat to just listening to it on a CD.

Anyways, I won't be attending the concert mainly because of financial reasons. For those who will be attending the concert, I hope that you all have a fantastic night and experience. And for those who are unable to attend, just pop in that Episode 3 soundtrack CD/DVD that contains the same music video content and enjoy the experience in the comfort of your own home with your family and friends. Advantage...save gas, food is conviently near by as well as the restrooms, chairs are comfy, and you have the power of time in your hand (i.e. the remote control to start and stop). I know that's what I'll be doing. :)
  5. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    As my sig suggests ( :p ) I'm going to see this when it comes to San Jose. So it's exactly the same as what's on the ROTS DVD?
  6. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    No, not exactly. Lucasfilm made the laughably misleading claim that John Williams "painstakingly reworked" his music for this show. What he actually did (or what an assistant of his did) was make a few small edits to incorporate material from the Star Wars concert suites. For example, "The Asteroid Field" now features the concert suite opening; however, its ending is the film version (with the Han Solo and the Princess theme). I'm sure people who are only familiar with the film soundtracks will be thrilled to hear the "new" music, but in fact it was written years ago and is available on various compilation CDs. Oh, and how about the complete score to The Phantom Menace on display? Yeah, it's actually just three pages from "The Droid Battle." The marketing is so deceptive.
  7. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Besides the incorporation of the concert suite openings, is the actual presentation the same as what's on the DVD?

And since when is marketing not deceptive? :p
  8. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    The presentation? I don't know... the show is narrated by Anthony Daniels. Not having seen it, I can't comment on the clip shows. I've also heard there are a lot of stupid flashing lights.
  9. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Did you see any of the previews or trailers? The flashing lights didn't look so bad to me.
  10. rpvee Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Whether it's just a live version of the DVD or not, hearing the echoing chorus of Duel of the Fates in a huge stadium will be so mind-blowingly awesome! That's something a listening at home can never match.
  11. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    I know. I sang it with the university choir and orchestra last spring (among other selections, including a choral/orchestral rendition of "Throne Room"). No silly visuals, just great music.
  12. rpvee Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    A choral rendition of "Throne Room"?!?! That must be so epic and beautiful! Did you guys make a recording of it, or is the concert on Youtube? I'd love to hear that.
  13. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmm, there was a recording, but I'd have to pay to get a copy. Sorry.
  14. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I totally agree! That's the real exciting part, the live music. Though I can't deny that seeing a screen full of Qui-Gon is pretty exciting prospect, too. ;)
  15. rpvee Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Well no doubt the giant HD screen and lasers will be freaking awesome as well, but big HD screens and laser shows are more common than authentic sounding Star Wars concerts. And let's not forget the prop exhibit, too!
  16. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Did anybody else see this?

I can't think about it too much. I might faint before I even get there. =P~ :_|
  17. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Good to know.

One could show up just before intermission and miss almost nothing important.;)
  18. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    That's not nice. [face_laugh]

You'd miss the Imperial March, too.
  19. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
  20. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah, seriously. Some people have told me that they didn't even read the article on the OS because they didn't want any part of the show to be spoiled. There are a few YouTube vids of the Concert that have been posted by people who smuggled in a camcorder, but I'm avoided those at all cost.
  21. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    You should make the HTR black on black then, cuz the text color for this forum is not black and I can read the spoiler... ;)
  22. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Nobody squints hard and tries to see through the highlighted black like you, Strilo. :p
  23. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    It's just selections of music set to clip shows.
  24. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    From your point of view. You'll find that many of the truths we--

Oh nevermind. :p
  25. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Nope. That's why I said "just before intermission".:p
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.