main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars - A Musical Journey / In Concert

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Gry Sarth, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Went to Seattle to see it Tuesday. I'm from Milwaukee. Met up with like minded nerdettes from the JCC and loved every moment of it. <3

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I have to say it feels like some people are forgetting that there does not have to be anything new for this to be cool. It's the thrill of seeing it performed live. It's a different experience seeing it with an audience. Really, it's the whole reason for concerts. Good acts don't even need new material for it to be an enjoyable and worthwhile experience. So the argument that there's nothing new here so it's not worth seeing is kind of silly to me. There's nothing new at a performance of Beethoven's 9th, but people still go in droves.

3. LadyKeira

LadyKeira Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2006
    I'll be seeing this next Friday in Dallas......I'm so excited!
    What are people wearing to the concert? Are people dressing like they're going to the symphony or like they're going to a Star Wars event?

4. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I hear you, but the issue for me is that, unless the presentation DOES add something new, I'd rather go to a proper concert hall and hear the music without the YouTube music videos and lasers and what-not; for me, those things DISTRACT from the enjoyment of the music. The clips I've seen were so lazily edited that the visual component of this particular performance makes me LESS likely to want to go than if it were a regular concert with just the orchestra there playing.

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Now that I can understand. That is my issue. I saw the LOTR Symphony this way and it was really cool, but the whole time I just wanted to be in a proper sounding concert hall. That experience is what led directly to me not buying a ticket for this.

6. OrchestraAndChoir

OrchestraAndChoir Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2009
    Will this be a yearly event ?

7. DarthBane95

DarthBane95 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2009
    I went there on Sunday! Very fast very dangerous... (random SW quote that makes no since in this reply)

It was amazing! I would suggest going to it. It's like heaven you get the lights, the music, the lasers, the flames, the props (even though they didn't unload the Han Solo in Carbonate at my show:( ), and you get Anthony Daniels, the cool converseations Star Wars fans of all ages, all in one day!

8. mandalore15

mandalore15 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 29, 2000
    The Jacksonville show was great. I had floor seats, 3rd row from the stage. Amazing.
    I was underwhelmed with the exhibition. The props and costumes on display were impressive (Han Solo in carbonite was the winner IMO), but the way crowd flow was organized was terrible. Just make sure to check your expectations on the exhibition. This is by no means a comprehensive tour of the Lucasfilm archives. It's roughly 10 costumes behind glass, and an assortment of plasma screens showing behind-the-scenes material.
    The concert was what it was all about, and I couldn't have been more pleased. Absolutely impressive. This is not a direct lift of the Musical Journey DVD from several years ago. More Episode III material has been added to the montages, and a digital Yoda shows up in a few Episode 1 scenes. There was also a presentation of the Vader/Luke duel music from Empire Strikes Back that was strictly a laser show, with no accompanying video, just after the intermission. If I had to pick a favorite piece, it would be seeing/hearing the Cantina music played live. The presentation of that piece of music, with the video and light show was just great to see. There are also concert arrangements of certain pieces of music, including The Flag Parade and Throne Room/End Credits which are different than what is presented on the DVD.
    Classical purists need not apply, but I can't imagine any Star Wars fan not enjoying themselves at this show.

9. -Commander_Thigh-

-Commander_Thigh- Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2004
    I just came back from the Tampa show and it was fantastic. My only gripes were:

1. Dialogue was often too loud
    2. The lights were often too bright (although this was probably to discourage videotaping)
    3. The people behind me were annoying

Loved seeing the CGI Yoda in the TPM clips.

10. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Not that this worked. There are videos all over YouTube now.

11. RedHeadKevin

RedHeadKevin Jedi Master star 2

May 18, 2004
    I saw it last night in Manchester NH, and it was FRICKIN' AWESOME!!! The orchestra was great, with a couple minor beefs ("beeves?")

-The sound mix was a little off from what I was expecting (some instruments too loud, some too soft at points)and the dialogue really conflicted with it at points.
    -They got the Yoda from a Wal-Mart display. Seriously. Remember the life-size "fighting Yoda" they had in Wal-Mart when Episode II came out? That's what they had in the glass case.
    -The Verizon Wireless arena in Manchester has 1 ATM!! I NEEDED CASH!
    -I wish they made it a little clearer on thier camera policy. The Verizon Arena said "no flash photography, but the Star Wars show has a STRICT no-camera policy." SO, I didn't bring my camera. dammit.

Other than that, the show was incredible. I had goose bumps the whole time, and my chin was in my lap. The video mix was great, and I was very impressed with how well the orchestra synched with the video.

Does anyone have the full playlist (in order) for the show?

12. The_Wookie_Girl

The_Wookie_Girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2005
    We saw the concert in Atlanta last week. My bf and I thought the whole thing was amazing! The sound quality was very good for a sports arena, Daniels was good as the presenter, the conductor really got into the music, and the orchestra and choir gave a lovely performance. Lots of pricey merchandise, but I think that the programme book was really worth it. :)

For anyone who had VIP passes, what is the special gift?

I would like to know, because I'm thinking of attending another show and want to know if the perks of having the VIP passes are worth it.

I have never had the chance to hear the music live before, and this was one of the best concerts that I have ever heard. We saw the Lord of the Rings tour in Symphony Hall in Atlanta and that was wonderful also.

13. robro2

robro2 Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2009
    This probably wont be seen in time because we're leaving for TD Banknorth in 20 minutes, but are you saying you wish you HAD brought a camera? My 5yo son wants to bring his and I wasn't going to let him.

14. rpvee

rpvee Jedi Master star 3

Feb 23, 2007
    I got back from the first Boston show a couple hours ago, and it was absolutely AMAZING........ the first time I've ever heard anything from Star Wars live, let alone all of my favorite pieces (especially Duel of the Fates, which was my childhood favorite and so today completed a ten-year old dream of hearing that piece live). The orchestra was fantastic, the choir OK (but too quiet, and certainly not up to par with the full choir in the original scores), but it was good enough to make the pieces that used it feel complete nontheless.

The effects (which I won't get into much detail about, for spoilers' sake) were great, but seemed to be more directed for a head-on view, as opposed to my view which was to the orchestra's side. They were still great, despite not seeing them at the angle that would truly make them shine.

The exhibit was spread throughout the entire main hall outside the arena, which is one huge circle. It was insanely crowded, but with patience, I got to see every costume and prop up close. The lights above them were super-bright, though, so that any manequin wearing a hat was hard to take a picture of if you wanted to get its head in the shot.

Incredible experience, I'm going to remember it for ages to come.

15. rpvee

rpvee Jedi Master star 3

Feb 23, 2007
    Sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to agree with this. Heck, they were showing the Jango vs. Obi-Wan space fight on the side-screens during ANAKIN'S THEME.

Huh?!

And I never saw Williams' hand-written TPM music, and I went around all the exhibits.

16. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    Just returned from the show in Philly. Fantastic. I have read some of the earlier posts, and can understand some of the gripes, but in all honesty, for me, a blast from start to finish.

I only wish the promoters had been a bit more clear about some of the extras that were set up around the venue... the props, folks in costume, etc. If I had been clearer about that, would have tried to arrive even earlier than we did.

This may be overly sentimental, but as one who does not go to a lot of "STAR WARS fan events", I really enjoyed the sense of camaradrie (SP?), the sense of community, amongst those there. A lot of families and a lot of VERY young kids, who are obviously familiar with SW through their parents. Kinda cool to see the interest being passed on. On the way home, was behind a minivan illuminated by three lightsabers wacking away. Gave me a big smile (yes, in large part because I was watching from a distance, and not trying to drive MY car while ducking lightsabers being wielded by eight year olds! *S*).

A tremendous amount of fun.

Shadow

PS - While the concession folks were probably wise, big-picture, they also missed out... INSIDE, aside from the (VERY EXPENSIVE) T shirts and the (INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE) programs, one could only buy a keychain size lightsaber. The young ones were NOT pleased. Outside, non-affiliated vendors were selling larger ones. Granted...the prospect of a bunch of kids swinging full size lightsabers not so cool... but a lot of young ones succumbed, temporarily, to the Dark Side when they discovered, in the concession line, tht there were no "real" lightsabers to be had!

17. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Hey SHAD0W-JEDI! I was at the Philly show too. I skipped the programs as they were too expensive, however you can buy them at the Star Wars in Concert online shop for $19.99... plus $6 shipping :rolleyes:. Still, it's $4 less and you can buy it whenever you want (I'm assuming until mid December).

You forgot to mention the big news given by Anthony Daniels at the end of the show, that the conductor Dirk Brosse is the new Music Director at the Philadelphia Orchestra! I hadn't seen anything online about it, so I assume it's new news. It was a nice treat, sorta like they gifted us the conductor :)

18. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003

I was at the Philly show. "Battle of the Hereos" topped the show for me.

19. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    Some highlights I recorded from the Philly show:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sdFR4LEFAg

I caught the CG Yoda, looks awesome! Can't wait for an HD Episode 1.

20. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Cool, he looks just as fake as in Episodes II and III. It's funny that people complained the puppet in Episode I looked nothing like the puppets in Empire and Jedi, because, well, neither does the digital version. I mean, his face has a completely different shape, and he can't ever seem to stop moving. It's like he has a fluid version of Parkinson's Disease.

I think it's in the eyes and mouth, actually. The CGI Yoda always has his eyes wide (even if his lids appear drooped) and some smirk or tough guy expression on his face. They never got that look of placid wisdom right. The puppet from Episode I was a little off in proportions but at least it didn't have a stupid angry frown on its face all the time.

[image=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_976Nt4Z9vlQ/RdsJ0Lk71wI/AAAAAAAAAi4/ITAVyxSXtxI/s320/yoda.jpg] [image=http://www.toplessrobot.com/sw2.jpg] [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/yoda/img/movie2_bg.jpg] [image=http://poormovietaste.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/clone_wars_1.jpg]

See? It's in the eyes. The Episode I puppet is way too angular around the jaw, but the eyes are right. So is the mouth. Puppet Yoda never looks like a senile old man. Old, yes, wracked with dementia, no. Oh yeah, and the digital animation sucks (as does most digital animation). It's so, so, so fluid looking. Clone Wars also screws it up by giving him lazy (not sage) eyes and a goofy frown. Yes, I know Clone Wars is a cartoon, but it seems to be the gold standard for all things Star Wars these days.

21. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    Even so, CG Yoda is MUCH better than Episode 1 puppet, and the fact that he is consistent among the PT is good enough for me.

22. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2005
    I'm going Friday in Jersey, what's the schedule? My tickets say 7:30, does the show start then or do we get an hour to see props?

23. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003

In Philly the time on the ticket, 6pm, was the time the concert started. The arena openned at least 1.5 hours before then.

24. blockaderunner

Jun 6, 2005
  25. blockaderunner

Jun 6, 2005
    Went Friday night. AWESOME!!!!! Music selection great, narration great and I didn't have to wear ear plugs. My only gripe and I'm not sure if it was the same for the other shows but the way the props were laid out and the crowd control was abysmal. I took me TEN MIN to get a picture of Yoda. The dude (who I guess works for the company in charge of the displays) telling people to get there shot and move on and while he does this his arm to going up and down and blocks Yoda as I snap my picture. We had people moving left and right and at every enterance there was an important costume display. Chewie where I entered, Yoda and Vader at the next and Solo slab at a third. They didn't put a rail up untill after the show started. BOMBAD PLANNING MESA THINKS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.