main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars - A Musical Journey / In Concert

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Gry Sarth, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ebamf

ebamf Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2009
    oh i am a sad cookie, i wasn't able to go see this on saturday, which was the only showing in new york for the entire tour. one of my good friends went and he said it reminded him of why he loved star wars so much. i am full-blown with envy.

2. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Jedi Master star 2

Apr 20, 2005
    Went to see it yesterday: AWESOME!!![face_hypnotized] =P~

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I saw it tonight in Toronto. I will post a link to my review later, but suffice it to say, my brain exploded from all the awesome. :eek: :D :cool:

4. metalinvader1982

metalinvader1982 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2007
    I was at the second Boston show.It was such an incredible,moving experience.Just left me with chills.

I'd love to see a second tour with more songs and of course more ROTS clips.

BTW..Did everyone else break out into laughter when the Cantina band music started playing?

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Actually, the Cantina movement got cheers last night. The big laughs were both Threepio related.

6. metalinvader1982

metalinvader1982 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2007
    I loved how the Cantina music came out of nowhere.Here you are swept into the Force theme and then...BAM!!! You're suddenly in the Cantina.

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Just got home from seeing this in Columbus. Absolutely loved it. Couple of goose bump moments. Couple of loud laughter moments. And stunning visuals and sounds the entire night. Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.

8. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Inty! Glad you enjoyed it!

9. LovesStormTroopers

LovesStormTroopers Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2009
    I just started a new thread on the concert - multimedia event, because I think it deserves a U.S. thread. I saw in NY on Nov. 21 and was blown away. I reviewed it for CNN iReport and it aired the next day. Here is a photo and a the links to my video review and photos:

[image=http://images28.fotki.com/v999/photos/9/235309/8196683/STARWARSCONCERT2009011-vi.jpg]

Photos and review at:STAR WARS STORMS NEW YORK

Video and review at: HOLY CHEWBACA, IT'S STAR WARS!

This is a great site and I'm really glad I found it. I'm psyched and ready for a new Star Wars now. :)

10. LovesStormTroopers

LovesStormTroopers Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2009
    Seems the 'link' uploader doesn't work so here are the actual url's to the reviews:

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-360334 - STAR WARS STORMS NEW YORK Review and Photos

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-360787 HOLY CHEWBACA, IT'S STAR WARS Review and Video

Sorry for the mix-up and I hope they fix the link uploader soon... ;p

11. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    I saw the show last night in Cleveland and it was just an awesome experience. Star Wars isn't really a big part of my life anymore, but this concert really brought back to me how much I love the saga (heck, it got me to post on these forums for the first time in over three years!). I've always felt John Williams' music was one of the most important reasons Star Wars became such a success, and hearing two hours of that music played by a live orchestra was just a huge thrill. I think the highlights for me were the trio of "Across the Stars" -> "Battle of the Heroes" -> "The Imperial March," all mindblowing, to close the first set, "Clash of Lightsabers" with a cool laser show, the triumphant "Throne Room/End Credits," and then "The Imperial March" encore with the video screen showing only the orchestra. I actually would have liked to see more of the orchestra on the screen throughout the concert, as I was sitting pretty far away.

It was neat to see all the kids there, and kind of scary to me that a lot of them hadn't been born when Episode I or even Episode II came out. I heard one dad call his son "Liam," which made me smirk. By the end a lot of the kids were getting restless, but I personally wish the show had been even longer. There were a number of other tracks I wish they could have played, but of course it wasn't surprising that cues like "Battle of Yavin," "Battle of Hoth," or "Rescue From Cloud City/Hyperspace" weren't included. When Anthony Daniels (who was a great narrator) introduced the forest battle music I was hoping to hear "Into the Trap," but alas, that was not to be either. Still, just because they didn't play my dream setlist (which honestly would probably be the ESB score in its entirety, then an encore of highlights from the other five movies) doesn't make the experience anything short of amazing. My girlfriend is not a particular fan of Star Wars and she loved it too.

12. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    By God's grace I got to see Star Wars In Concert at the Meadowlands. I thank GOD I was able to go. I enjoyed it a great deal. The Cantina Band was the 'sweet spot' for me. The ensemble for that song was top notch. A nice moment on the evening. I was curious if they were even going to play it. WOW!
    The shivers as the Fanfare began was awesome. A welcome clarion call. Star Wars is like a warm welcoming blanket for me. A safe place, as it were. I wonder how many others feel as I do on this point.
    I have to say that I to would have liked more Orchestra footage. The encore was sublime for that reason! Anthony Daniels was a fine choice for Narrator. And James Earl Jones intro of him was to good.

A question for those who may know. I had a great view of the sound and light console area. There was a screen showing the Conductor, the images on the large screen, and the same image with vertical lines sweeping across it. Does anyone know the purpose of those lines? The same image was shown on a screen in front of the Conductors podium.

THe only problems I had with the show was it was to grand. The significant use of laser lights I could have done without. The Choir was in fine voice too. Augie's Great Municipal Band should have been heard as well. Such a fun song.
    And the Imperial March as the finale for Act One was inspired. The bridge, as it were, between the trilogies.
    The addition of The Droids and Pod Race music fit well with the show. The only change I would have made would have been Ben's Death/TIE Figher Attack rather then the Asteroid Field. Don't get me wrong Field is a great piece.
    The finale using posters and a photo from each films scoring session was such a nice coda to the official performance.
    The emotional impact for me that night was a revelation. I am in a 'bad place' right now. And the concert was a humungous pick me up. But that is a story for another time.
    I was a just what the doctor ordered for me otherwise. I have to stand amazed that I needed encouragement to actually go to the show.
    Of all the concerts I have ever been to . This was one I would have loved to have been able to buy on DVD right way.

13. Endor_Commando

Endor_Commando Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 15, 2007

U.K fans, the concert is back at the O2 arena London in April. Just had an email from the O2.
    I'm going again for sure........

14. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Just came back from seeing Star Wars In Concert in Cincinnati. I am without words. Or, at least the words I do choose to describe the experience can never do it justice. You can watch Star Wars on your TV at home all you want. You may even be lucky to have a surround sound digital large screen TV. But when you put Star Wars on a theater-sized screen and hear the actual music being played along with the images, something magical happens.

One thing I couldn't get out of my mind: C-freakin' Threepio was in the house! I was fairly close so I could see the only Star Wars cast member I've ever been in the same presence with (hey, I live in Kentucky, so they don't usually come near me). I about died when he recited the "odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field."

It was also thrilling to see so many different ages in the crowd. Literally from 3 to 85. At the Imperial March encore, I was almost expecting someone professionally dressed as Vader to come on stage. That would have been killer!

The only thing that wasn't thought out was the layout of all the exhibit pieces. Yes, I got pics of everything, and they were beyond cool, but they were all situated along the small hallway to get out of the arena. So there was a huge backup of people after it was over because you had to stop while others took pics.

But, a minor detail. I, also, have had a hard several weeks. Primarily with my mother having a stroke in Oct and the fact that we'll have to move to a first floor handicapped apt probably during Xmas week. I don't know when we'll have our Xmas. But I took some of my Xmas money and went to SW In Concert. I couldn't pass it up and regret it not going later. It was so worth it!

15. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    Madman, most arenas don't have expo areas for what would have been a proper display of the props and all. MAdison Sq. Garden, which did not host the show :( , has an expo area that would have been beyond excellent for that. I ought to know, I worked some convention shows there. But, it was the music that was the reason for the show. I am glad that Vader did not appear on stage. The IMperial March encore was for the Orchestra and brought tears to my eyes. It was that wonderfull. As much as I love the footage, I could have done without all the dialog and laserlights. Other then that, I LOVED THE SHOW and would see it again in an instant.
    And yes Anthony Daniels got a HUGE laugh at the Odds line.
    Hope to see it again.

16. starwarstvarchive

starwarstvarchive Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2009
    I went to the St. Louis show on Dec. 10 and was very impressed! I have always wanted to attend a John Williams/Star Wars concert, so it was a life long dream of mine which finally came true.

The orchestra and choir were fantastic. The performances of Duel of the Fates, Battle of the Heroes, Yoda's Theme (my personal favorite), The Asteroid Field, and the Throne Room/End Titles were truly show stoppers.

Anthony Daniels was charming and humorous as always. You can tell he really believes in this show, as he talks about in all the interviews I have read.

The Lucasfilm Exhibit was fun. I got my picture taken next to the Darth Vader costume and the frozen Han Solo (my favorite prop).

If they went on for another two hours I would have gladly stayed, with a goofy grin on my face the whole time.

17. yodagood1

yodagood1 Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2009
    I think it was the awesomest mash of star wars music ever done!!!!!!!!!!

18. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002

I was there, too! It was fantastic. I really hope it comes back some time.

19. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    Well, the second part of the concert is coming to Pensacola, FL (within 3 hours of where I live), so of course I've gotta go to that one. I just ordered the tickets and we're on the floor. I am so excited to go to this! May 16th, here we come!

20. Master_Angela

Master_Angela Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2010
    I am so incredibly thankful they added a 2nd leg to the US part of the Tour. The first time in oct through dec they did not come to my section of the country. I was devastated :/

But now I am seeing it on May 18th, 2010. We are traveling 3 hours to Memphis, TN from Arkansas.
    I just got my tickets last week, section 113 row E.

I have never been this excited for any other concert in my life.

I am blown away from the youtube videos people have posted of this concert, I can't imagine what it will be like watching it live.

I do have two questions though.
    1. HOW MUCH TIME DO I NEED TO GIVE MYSELF TO VIEW ALL OF THE PROPS WITHOUT BEING RUSHED, HOW EARLY DO I NEED TO ARRIVE?

AND

2. WHAT KIND OF MERCH ITEMS DOES THE SHOW OFFER AND WHAT ARE THE PRICE RANGES.
    Thanks for any replies :)

I will defintaely be posting my review after I have actually seen the concert live :)

21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Went to see it on Monday, here in Portugal. It was spectacular! The best Star Wars experience ever.

Btw, there's a new Episode I Yoda.

22. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003

I'd say 1.5 hours to see everything. Depending upon the arena it will be spread out over multiple nooks and crannies.

I saw programs, t-shirts, posters, etc. The normal stuff. I guess like $15 to $40.

23. Master_Angela

Master_Angela Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2010
    ^Thanks for the answers :)

24. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Saw it on Thursday in Hamburg. No matter how well you know the music, hearing it like that is still completely different and amazing. When Celebration Europe was in London 3 years ago, there was also a show of the London Symphony Orchestra in that one park (of film music in general, but SW included of course) and even thought they play it nearly exactly like it sounds on the recordings, it was one of the best things ever. This one (Royal Philharmonic, was it?) sounded differently, of course, but they gave most pieces a lot more oomph than what we're used to. Across the Stars sounded a bit thin, I thought, and like a previous poster I wished we'd gotten Into the Trap instead of (or in addition to!) Forest Battle - but I suppose that one's got a concert suite already, so they go with it.

I especially liked the variations for some of the tracks, most notably The Flag Parade which was probably double in length. Very well done, very epic, which I never expected from the frikkin Flag Parade :p

Overall they probably could have gone with a few more pieces, but that's just the greedy fanboy in me speaking. I can listen to this stuff for 10 hours straight after all :p

One extremely funny thing happened at the end, and I shall read the whole thread to see if we were unique in that regard: During the ImpMarch encore the lady with the triangle got a close-up all to her own - and she got a huge cheer and applause, so much that she skipped her last two notes with a puzzled look on her face [face_laugh]

25. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    This is coming through here in July, so I got tickets at the box office last night. I'll take my niece for her birthday present. Should be really fun; a good review from Senny and it even brought Jeff out of hiding!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.