main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books STAR WARS: A NEW DAWN (September 2014)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Apr 25, 2014.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It was an excellent little excerpt. That Vidian character is a very different sort of villian -- just as I'd expect from JJM. He sounds like an evil VHS business guru.

And Sloane is splendid. More details: also described as muscular (not willowy!), Sloan attained her rank at the rare age of thirty due to competence. Refreshing! Maybe we're out of Daala's shadow?

Thanks for the head's up, Ben! Can't wait for this one. Hopefully I can snag a copy soon.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Revanfan1 and Cynical_Ben like this.
  2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Literally the first word on the new canon Empire is BLACK FEMALE CAPTAIN.

Let that settle in for a minute.

ETA: oh, and Gorse? Tidally locked. [face_rofl]

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Really looking forward to this book now.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I'm very happy about that. I don't mind the anti-alien Empire at all. It works fine and it was never a characterization issue. I've always hated the sexist part though because it made zero IU sense. Glad to leave that completely behind us. THANKS JJM (for once this is a sincere expression!)

Didn't want to double-post in Tarkin, but I added edits to my last post to cover EU Ben hadn't mentioned yet. All in all, we may actually have some hope!

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

5. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    I usually like reading books that i know the characters.... still i plan on watching the tv series and will read the book

6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I downloaded and read the excerpt. Things are looking good. I have to laugh a little that the first character we meet is a black female Imperial captain. Go JJM! [face_laugh]

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Keep it coming, you might talk me into buying this.

Revanfan1 and CooperTFN like this.
  8. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Just read the sampler..uhm...wow. i just had A New Dawn on Preorder, and absolutely looking forward to reading it. More so now. But now I am probably going to have to preorder Tarkin and Lords of the Sith, at the least, too.

9. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    This excerpt is what I wanted and what I needed. We absolutely should be seeing an Empire that is aggressively growing in the far reaches of the galaxy. We should also be seeing the new power dynamics that are being developed by the Emperor. JJM has already given us a little of both of those things.

Vidian should be a fascinating character. A person who has economic credentials and political ambition is the exact type of person who should be thriving in the new Empire.

Revanfan1 and darklordoftech like this.
  10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I gotta say. Vidian is such a JJM character. I mean that in a good way. ;)

And though it was brief, I liked the part with Hera. I can already tell I'll like her depiction in this book.

Revanfan1 and darklordoftech like this.
  11. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Good, a silly relic of EU interference, anyway. The Galactic Empire can be evil without excluding women or aliens.

darklordoftech and Cynical_Ben like this.
  12. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Is Kanan even in the preview?

13. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
  14. Crossjon

Crossjon Jedi Padawan

Jul 15, 2014
    No. most of it is told from Sloane's perspective (really hope that we keep getting her POV in the full book) with a little over a page from Hera's.

I really wasn't sure if I would be getting this one, because i'm not particularly interested in Rebels, but Sloane and Vidian hooked me. Love that we will actually be getting unique AND competent imperials for once.

edit: ninja'd :(

15. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    I was already sold on watching Rebels, but this is another reason to be excited for the show. Miller isn't a writer for Rebels but Filoni wrote an introduction for this. So Filoni probably knows the book pretty well and understands Miller's depiction of the Empire, which is looking excellent so far.

Hopes should be high that the imperials we are getting on the small screen will be more than shallow villains.

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    "Ackbar was a symbol to the rest of the galaxy that the Alliance is fighting for everyone, no matter what their background or origin. The Empire, in contrast, routinely subjugated non-humans." - Databank entry, Admiral Ackbar

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The Rebels BTS videos make it clear, too, that the anti-alien stuff is still there.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

18. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Wait til the episode which introduces His Excellency Grand Admiral Mewstash Touirllere:p

19. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    If the films are anything to go on, the Imperial military seems to be pretty male-dominated. Which of course doesn't mean that female naval officers don't exist or are banned.

I loved Kenobi, so I'll probably be checking this out at some point. JJM is quite a guy.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    If the films are anything to go by, there's only a dozen imperial officers in total. ;)

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    None of whom can agree on the proper way to pin their badges on.

22. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Not entirely true. In ROTJ they all gave up trying to find the proper way by themselves, and secretly copied each other.

After Palpatine retired to his throne room, he probably was in fits of giggles at that silly Jerjerrod not realising he was wearing the wrong rank plaque.

Revanfan1 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  23. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Or not since canon got thrown out Jerjerrod is no longer a Moff but just a "commander" so maybe he actually is the only one with the correct one. :p

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Isn't he still referred to as Moff in the novelization?

25. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Sure, but the novelizations apparently only count where they show the same stuff as in the movie. [face_dunno]