main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books STAR WARS: A NEW DAWN (September 2014)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Apr 25, 2014.

1. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I actually just put that for all three novels from the 'veterans"

2. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Well call me interested. These book announcements were a surprise.

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    It's the one I'm most excited for, so... :p

Senator Kelberry likes this.
  4. jedislider18

jedislider18 Jedi Knight

Jan 27, 2013
    I agree. It's the one I'm the least interested in. JJM does really good work. I really enjoy his books but I'm not really sure about this one.

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Remember when RotS was stated to have been line-edited by Lucas, meaning that every time Stover mentioned shatterpoint or Sora Bulq or something, LFL was tacitly approving (or at least not fighting) its existence? Every book is ostensibly like that now. Every single line of these four new novels is going to fascinating for what stays and what changes.

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Ah god dammit.... this actually looks interesting enough for me to not completely boycott the new stuff....

7. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, on the one hand I'm still not happy about the Legends stuff (not surprised, but not happy), on the other hand, a new John Jackson Miller book is very good news, even if its related to Rebels, which I' still ambivalent about. Rebels will probably just strip-mine the old EU, er, Legends, for cool sounding names and then run over the corpse multiple times, but JJM is such a good writer, so, hm.

I'll read through it, but even for JJM, not sure I'd buy it. Guess it depends on how the setting is, and how much canon he can reference- I know JJM can write, the only problem is how stupid Rebels might be. Not bad cover at least, despite mostly going yet another generic lightsaber pose.

Abadacus likes this.
  8. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I'm surprised at how many people are still ambivalent about Rebels. It is in an era that's relatively free from EU so there's very little that can actually be run over, let alone multiple times.

Why do you think Rebels might be stupid. Other than canon issues the biggest thing I've heard is that it looks too Disney-esque, but I still don't see how that's a bad thing. It's just the art style. It has Greg Weisman at its head, for goodness' sakes! That's about as good for TV as JJM is for books.

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  9. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    So....why does that dude have a lightsaber?

10. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    He was a Padawan who survived Order 66. He gave up being a Jedi. My guess is he has the lightsaber to attract casual readers because they said he still won't have picked it up at the beginning of the show.

dokratr0 likes this.
  11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Wut? It is?

What makes you think that?

Even if that is so, what makes you think it will matter?

12. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Even if there's relatively little EU to run over, Lucasfilm's typical approach to handling EU over the past few years hasn't left me optimistic. A line from the RotS script threw out one of Zahn's subplots- just an off-hand remark here or there can interfere with things. Anakin Skywalker has never been frozen in carbonite- one line moves a TCW comic to further in the timeline. TCW referenced an "old" Republic several times (apparently anything older than a few centuries or something like that).

Partially its a matter of hope for the best, expect the worst, but TCW messed around with a lot of things, so I'll never underestimate what they might feel like messing around with (they could make Tython a junk world if they feel like it).

And not really a Weisman fan after a while- every show is a Xanatos gambit (Spectacular Spiderman, Young Justice), bad guys usually winning somehow, vague cryptic comments (especially in Young Justice's case) that never go anywhere. Well, both shows were cancelled far too early, but I get tired of the cryptic, ominous comments after a while. Rebels will be bigger than either show, but it also will probably be written in the style of TCW, so that's making me even more pessimistic.

JJM is an awesome writer, so somehow they've recognized that (I hope) so that's good, but I'm too cynical to expect more from the upcoming Star Wars works.

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    From the first announcement:
    "Matter" is relative, but I choose to celebrate what sticks around rather than mourn what doesn't.

Revanfan1 and Jedi Ben like this.
  14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    "Not being discarded". :rolleyes: Pull the other one...

15. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    nm, misread

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I definitely like the idea of a new JJM book and I'm cautiously optimistic for Rebels so yeah, I'll likely read this one.

I'm hoping for no Kanan/Hera romance though. I can't tell if the cover is hinting at it or not.

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm not sure where you get anything close to line by line editing out of that. Not that it matters to me.

18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yet you're here having this conversation with me.

19. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I don't see that. I agree with you, anyway: we need a male/female friendship that doesn't end up in inevitable romance.

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I disagree purely because of the interspecies component. Diversity! :p

Revanfan1 and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  21. Wonderllama

Wonderllama Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 1, 2013
    I like JJM, but I don't know if I'm interested in the concept of this novel. It's mostly a Rebels tie-in? I'd rather the main Star Wars characters be involved.

22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Hilarious. I've heard people complain countless times about there being too much of a focus on the main characters, and now that they're doing some that don't focus on the main characters, people want the main characters back. [face_laugh]

Nothing against you, seriously, that just struck me funny.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Also, it's "several years" before Rebels, which is 5 BBY, so no, I don't think 9-year-old Luke and Leia will be making an appearance.

24. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    14-year-old Luke and Leia. ;)

25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Read it again. ;)

Revanfan1 likes this.