main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books STAR WARS: A NEW DAWN (September 2014)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Apr 25, 2014.

1. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    I got the ARC edition at Comic-Con this year (signed by the wonderful writer above!)

Unfortunately I have a way with reading where I read one book at a time (Unless it's something for school.) and I still am only halfway through Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. The book is great, but my anticipation to read A New Dawn is killing me! :(

Dante1120 likes this.
  2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Am I entitled to think the content of the ScreeRant article is somewhat insulting?

Abadacus and DelRiego like this.
  3. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

CooperTFN likes this.
  4. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    You just made me think of this starting at 0:29:

HEDGESMFG likes this.
  5. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    A point I'm willing to concede, under the idea that at least fan pressure forced both parties to retain some level of consistency again. Taken a step further, I'll even argue that Dark Horse never quite went out of their way to unify with the old marvel material... though I'd argue that at least the vague canon policy allowed for both to coexist. As of now, we seemingly no longer have that foggy window. In practice, we still have yet to see what that actually means... just as Dark Horse didn't necessarily end Marvel's original run.

Sadly, I doubt Marvel will themselves acknowledge their classic stories in any significant way outside of a cameo. Maybe I'll get to see Jaxxon again at least... ;( But who knows.

I'm glad that even a meatbag such as yourself was able to understand the context of my words, then ;)

But seriously, I'm done with this line of arguing. Let JJM's work speak for the future of Lit. We can discuss stuff like this in the Ep VII forum at a later time.

Abadacus likes this.
  6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    "Everything now – starting from “A New Dawn” on – is canon. So if you care about that – which you really probably shouldn’t"

Ah, unintended irony.

cdgodin, Robimus, Abadacus and 3 others like this.
  7. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    Random House has the first 71 pages of the book available to read. Only about 7 or 8 pages of it was in the 2014 Star Wars books preview, so quite a bit of it is new (there are a few pages of new material before what was available in the preview from before as well, so if you check it out be sure not to just skip ahead).

You can find it here.

8. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Well, Del Rey killed off Fey'lya and Anakin two and a half years into their contract, and Mara eight years in. That's hardly immediately. And besides, featuring Bantam characters and worlds as central elements in new stories, even if ultimately eliminating them, is a far cry from simply erasing them from existence, which is the situation here. Granted a lot was sidelined or destroyed, but it was all done in-universe.

I'm not super familiar with Dark Horse's situation at the time, but I gather Lucasfilm itself didn't consider the Marvels canon, and it's entirely possible they told Dark Horse not to bother with them, as they told a number of the Bantam authors.

9. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, if Del Rey was really up to no good, then they wouldn't have ended up using Kyp Durron in Vector Prime.

10. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Kanan is a straight-up drunk. Can't say I blame him.

11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Just an idle observation: the intro to the book doubles down on the "thousand generations" statement, despite some people worrying that the new canon might end up with Lucas' 1000-year Republic.

12. lisasgslack14

lisasgslack14 Jedi Knight

Dec 16, 2006
    I for oen love the cover, And yes it looked animated but seeing as how it is form as animated cartoon, I would find it odd if the cover did loook more life like, Also I am looking forward to this, And it is my second most favorite of all four

13. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Maybe Freddie Prinze jr. will be digitally inserted in the OT as old Kanan

14. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    Something interesting I noticed.

In the prologue, Caleb is described as having black hair. Kanan has brown hair. At first I thought it was a continuity error, but then I realized that it makes sense that Kanan would dye his hair in addition to changing his name.

cwustudent likes this.
  15. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Are there any movie characters in this? I don't know how interesting I'll find a book with no movie or EU characters, just ones from Rebels. At least not until I see the show.

16. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    There don't seem to be. The story is contained on a backwater planet in the inner rim. I for one am glad they're avoiding the small galaxy thing.

Abadacus likes this.
  17. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Good point about the small galaxy thing. I just don't know much about the characters yet, so I don't know how much I'd want to read a whole novel about them. I have heard that JJM's stuff is really good, but I unfortunately have yet to read Kenobi.

18. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    I think going forward the original trilogy is going to override other canon if there is a contradiction.

19. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Just got to love Miller, one of the characters is a Non-Clone Human Clone Wars Veteran and former demolitions expert, who served together with Clone Troopers and apparently under a Non-Jedi General !

Darth_Garak and Zorrixor like this.
  20. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    "Pretty unremarkable" was the only thing that came to mind reading the excerpt. I'll let it sink it.

21. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Look, guys don't make the mistake some make. Marvel did not get the license to just tie things in with their past series, or to honor it in any way or to show Dark Horse that they got their stuff back and will over ride their's. Marvel got this because Disney owns them, Pixar and Lucasfilm, which also includes Star Wars. This is now about making money, and the best way of doing it is by telling stories in the era that they all beleive to be the mack daddy of them all. No need to keep mentioning it, we all know what era it is. Just look at what Marvel got coming out of the gate. The first series starts in Jan and since its an on-going by Dec you have 12 issues, the second one starts in Feb and its another on-going and by Dec you have 11 issues. Thats already 23 issues in the OT era, plus a 5 parter involving Leia which brings it to 28, and that is not including what else they got coming out. Marvel is not playing by the old 1977-1986 GL unknown or not properly explained rules, and the license is not a part time re-newel thing either. This is for keeps, many people still have not grasped the fact that Marvel under Disney that owns Lucasfilm will tell stories to the end of time. There will be no more companies doing star wars. It is all Marvel. Luke is just as part of Marvel as Iron Man and Thor. Thrity years later we will be telling this, to other generations. Also, Marvel is not playing by the EU rules of 1991-2013. It is a new game now for storytelling and marvel is playing for keeps.

22. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014

Uhh...I think you posted this in the wrong thread. This isn't about the comics.

23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Vong's still having a tough time dealing with the fact he's now some Legend we used to know.

24. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Ascended meme about
    Obi-wan the Angry-Drunk Jedi?

25. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I feel the sudden urge to find an appropriate Gotye parody.

cwustudent likes this.