main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books STAR WARS: A NEW DAWN (September 2014)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Seconded!

Zorrixor likes this.
  2. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Boba Fett is three freaking lines in the entire movie, and the only real difference in the voices is that the new one has a New Zealand accent. That said, the original voice still sounds really badass. The Emperor is a bit more important though.

Ian McDiarmid's Emperor in all the other movies sounds like the personification of evil.

Original ESB Emperor sounds like...some guy.

spicer likes this.
  3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    he sounds like the wizard of oz

which I suspect is what Kershner/Lucas/whomever was going for with him being a gigantic hologram of a head

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I gotta be honest, I just don't think the Wizard of Oz is that intimidating.

(Those flying monkeys, though. Brrrr.)

5. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    The Emperor scene in the ESB SE looks and sounds so bad. It's like they woke Ian up at four a.m. after he'd been drinking all night, had the B Team slap some makeup on him, and gave him the script thirty seconds before they started shooting. The dialogue changes don't even make any sense, it's just so terrible.

6. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    That's the problem with many DVD changes on the OT: the idea behind it is good, but the execution is rather poor. Heck, Adywan's fan edit is way better at putting Ian McDiarmid into ESB:

Now THIS looks like the OT Palpatine.

Abadacus and Zorrixor like this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked the way The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader handled the dialogue changes though:

"What is thy bidding, my Master?"
    From light years away, on Coruscant, the Emperor replied, "There is a great disturbance in the Force."
    "I have felt it," Vader said.
    "We have a new enemy. The young Rebel who destroyed the Death Star. I have no doubt that this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker."
    Offspring?! The surviving tissue in Vader's throat suddenly went dry. Through his shock, he managed to say, "How is that possible?"
    Without offering any explanation to support his stated conviction, the Emperor answered, "Search your feelings, Lord Vader. You will know it to be true. He could destroy us."
    Having fought Luke Skywalker on Mimban, Vader was even more aware of the young man's powers than was the Emperor. But he also knew something else; Luke was as ignorant of their familial connection as Vader had been. If he had known the truth on Mimban, Vader thought, I would have sensed it. Still grappling with the Emperor's declaration, he struggled to find words that might discourage his Master's interest in Skywalker. "He is just a boy," Vader said. "Obi-Wan can no longer help him."
    The Emperor believed otherwise. "The Force is strong with him," he said. "The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi."
    The Emperor had not said in so many words that he wanted Luke Skywalker dead, so Vader — needing Skywalker alive to accomplish his goals — took a different tack. "If he could be turned," Vader suggested, "he would become a powerful ally."
    "Yes," the Emperor mused, as if he had not thought of that possibility. Vader could only imagine what the Emperor was thinking. The Sith had long maintained their rule of two: one Master, one apprentice. Even Vader knew that there wasn't room enough in the galaxy for three Sith Lords, and yet the Emperor's hooded eyes seemed to sparkle as he said more emphatically, "Yes. He would be a great asset. Can it be done?"
    "He will join us or die, Master," Vader said. He bowed, and the Emperor's hologram faded out.
    Now that the Emperor was interested in Luke Skywalker's fate, Vader knew he had to do everything in his power to find Luke before the Emperor found him.

Nobody145 and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  8. Solent

Solent Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2001
    WTF was that? Is Skywalker the GFFA version of Smith or what? To me it was quite clear Vader knew who he was looking for, but had been hiding it from Palpatine. So Palps leaves him clear he knows anyway.

9. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    It shows that I've never seen the blu-rays, as I didn't even know they'd changed it, so I just went and searched YouTube for the new version... and eugh.

Cynical_Ben, _Catherine_ and Abadacus like this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just started this and so far I really like it. I'm as curious about Hera as Hera is curious about Count Vidian; I have thought from her introduction video that she would be a great character and so far I don't think I'll be disappointed. The first chapter really shows how merciless the Empire is, which I like. Efficiency before people, collateral damage be damned.

I liked the old galaxy but the introduction of new worlds looks like it's going to be done well.

And youngling Kanan, his impressions of the Jedi and his up-front personality...I really enjoyed that. Also, the wording of Obi-Wan's warning to the Jedi, on the heels of the flashback to Kanan's questions, gave me chills.

11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm going to be that guy and defend the dialogue changes: I think they're actually clever and nuanced. Superficially, it seems really dumb and initially confused me that Vader is like "huh?"

But the subtext to the scene here is that Vader is out stomping the Rebels with a mandate given by the Emperor, but in reality he's been looking for Skywalker, "I'm sure Skywalker is with them." The Emperor doesn't know that though (in theory), in fact Vader probably hopes the Emperor doesn't know Skywalker exists. So when Palps rings him up to tell him about Luke, he plays dumb, because he's been trying to recruit his Sith apprentice to overthrow Palps this whole time and he doesn't want Palps to know he wasn't keeping him in the loop because it'll be pretty obvious what's going on.

And to return to my initial point, I doubt Palps rings Vader up about the Rebellion -- Episode IV and V sort of bears out that he's off in his palace doing whatever while he let's Vader and others take care of the rebels. He only becomes involved to deal with Luke.

I believe it was added to the 2004 DVD set.

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Lucas did say that once "There's even a Skywalker brand of wine" - and EU writers ran with it. Zahn, in Allegiance, mentions that Skywalker is a common name in the Rim.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Honestly though, it ought to be. So should Kenobi. Otherwise their exile -- even on Tatooine -- is really really stupid. Imperial Intelligence is not actually incompetent :p

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    yeah but tatooine is the frontier where all the incompetents are shipped out, right?

15. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Yeah but if they heard about a Kenobi living on Tatooine they'd send the competent people over if it was a really uncommon name.

16. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Damn right. If they were incompetent, there'd be nobody keeping tabs on all those illegal cabbage merchants. [​IMG]

Darth_Garak likes this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Listen, those fruits are purple. Only the Emperor is permitted to consume purple fruit! If commoners were seen consuming them -- why -- the entire basis for the Empire would be in question!

18. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I actually can't wait to get some sort of official artwork for Vidian.

Pfluegermeister and EternalHero like this.
  19. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Dammit, George.

20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I know it's the exact opposite of the blu-ray change to the end of Return of the Jedi.

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hm, is that the version in the SEs? It sounds a bit different. Either way, agreed that the Morrison version is inferior.[/quote]

22. vstarvan

vstarvan Jedi Master star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    I just realized what Vidian (aesthetically) reminds me of:
    [​IMG]

cthugha and Pfluegermeister like this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm about ten chapters in now and at the risk of committing blasphemy around here regarding the Disney/Legendsverse war...I think this may be one of the best Star Wars books ever. It's been awhile since I picked up a Star Wars book that I had a hard time putting down. (Sorry X-Wing books, you're great, but I was able to take a break between chapters without my Kindle singing a siren song.)

The Imperial brutality does not disappoint, not with Vidian beating that manager to death for daring to question him.

And Kanan, oh, Kanan...he is self-sufficient, guarded, and generally pissed off. And who could blame him? He gets the hell out of dodge whenever dodge becomes too familiar.

His personality is cynical but fun, and I'd like to have a drink with him.

I'm liking Hera more and more as well. I could see her kicking the stormtrooper's ass as a sign of trooper incompetence but I don't. I see it as a sign of Hera's ability to kick ass and take names.

24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I couldn't help but picture him as Trachta half the time.

25. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Just finished the book and I really, really enjoyed it. Great way to start off the new canon and does a great job of paving the way for the cartoon.

As far as the character ages that were being talked about some pages back. I know it is very directly stated that Skelly is about 40 and Sloane is 30. I also believe Zaluna was said to be about 50 or so.

As far as the ages of Kanan and Herra I believe it said this was supposed to take place about ten years after ROTS. If I remember right the cartoon is meant to take place in 5BBY so the book takes place about four years before the start of the cartoon.

If I remember right I think they said Kanan was 24 in the book and so he would be 28 in the cartoon (which it has already stated on the Star Wars site that he is 28 in Rebels.

In regards to Herra's age I think the 18 year old line was just meant to be a sarcastic remark made by Kanan referencing to how young she was. If we follow the outline of events and how old Herra is supposed to be in the cartoon she should be 20 during AND.