main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books STAR WARS: A NEW DAWN (September 2014)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Apr 25, 2014.

1. rillan

rillan Jedi Youngling

Oct 17, 2014
    Well, JJM has a big following, and Star Wars fans are forgiving. Different SW novels and authors appeal to different people. I don't blame JJM for shooting down Shatterpoint, that was most likely a Story Group decision. In my opinion, a bad decision but it's done. Blaming JJM would be like blaming R. A. Salvatore for killing Chewbacca which many people did and made his experience of writing a Star Wars novel the worst in his life. The poor guy actually go death threats.
    canon and continuity are different things. All EU, now Legends, is part of the Star Wars continuity until something that is "canon" conflicts with it. Star Wars Legends is series of stories that might have been unless we find out that they definitely didn't because of new material. It's not that different from the multiple layers of canon. The Clone Wars Madalorian episodes wiped out the all the wonderful work that Karen Traviss did with the Mando's in her novels. It's why she stopped writing Star Wars novels.

We can assume that most of the post RotJ material from the EU will be overwritten by the new movies and other media but most of what takes place prior to RotJ could be left intact unless the Story Group deliberately contradicts it. Big questions for the future - Will the major players of the post RotJ EU show up in some form as a nod to the fans and work of previous creators? Will we see Mara Jade or Thrawn in some form? Will the Yuuzhan Vong exist in the Disney galaxy or are they gone forever?

Disney has left the door open for elements of the EU to enter the new canon depending on the decisions/whims of the Story Group and the writers they work with.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the new Galaxy looks like.

JamesSkywalker and SWpants like this.
  2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    http://eleven-thirtyeight.com/2014/09/john-jackson-miller-on-a-new-dawn-elevators-and-being-awesome/

my kind of scum likes this.
  3. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    I guess that if you start reading a book with a preconception of it being bad because <insert any reason>, then it will suck, no matter how good or bad it actually is. You will never enjoy it. I was a bit reluctant to pick it up, but I eventually started reading it with an open mind.

I've just finished reading it this Sunday, and I must say that I am impressed by the depth of the characters involved. All the main characters have their motivations explained, even the bad guy isn't just some Imperial maniac overlord who does bad things because he's bad. He has a personal motivation and a backstory that makes sense in the context of his actions. Without getting into spoilers, I enjoyed all characters. I like the fact that not every hero of this story is a cliche idealist freedom fighter and that not every villain just likes to see the world/galaxy burn. If anything, this book shows that you can do the right thing for the wrong reason and vice versa.

I admit that I can count the number of novels I've (fully) read in the old EU on one hand. But if A New Dawn is any indication of things to come, then I'm looking forward to Tarkin, Lords of the Sith, Heir to the Jedi and whatever other books come out after that in the new continuity.

4. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    That's nicely put.

5. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Yet I noticed they all still drink caf. Gotta wonder why it's not just coffee. Coffee was definitely used before in universe, and I don't really see why turbolift is such a big deal. This is kind of odd to me.

6. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Funny thing is, both coffee and caf have been used in the new canon as well--so they both still exist.

Revanfan1 and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  7. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Ok well that makes even less sense.

Get the terminology straight, Story Group.

Damn.

8. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    There, there.

9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Has hot chocolate shown up, yet?

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe because Star Trek used it first? Though I don't think the term was copyrighted or anything.

11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    No gonna lie: I mainly liked turbolift because I'm British.

12. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    They have one job Coop.

:p

DelRiego and CooperTFN like this.
  13. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Well caf could be very different from coffee that we know. Maybe it's blue?

cthugha likes this.
  14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    As long as it's not pumpkin-spice-flavored.

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Caf, twice the speed and ten times the yield of caffeine.

You want to be a tough guy? Tough guys drink caf and bounce off the walls 50 times a day.

pepoluan and CooperTFN like this.
  16. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Definitely sounds better than 'turboelevator'. But I suppose 'elevator' sounds suitably space-y to me anyway

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think I've seen "turbovator" once or twice.

18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    So have I, and I always just thought it sounded silly. Star Wars is slightly more justified than most because it's set in a galaxy far, far away instead of the future, but in general replacing modern words with "space-y" equivalents has always driven me up the wall. WE GET IT, THEY'RE IN SPACE, YOU DON'T NEED TO MAKE UP WORDS TO TELL US.

19. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I may be wrong about this but I was under the impression that a turbolift is slightly different from an elevator because it can move sideways, not only up and down. Or is that something I made up?

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That's a Wonka-vator!

21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    While we're being pedantic, I really hope the new canon dials back on animals with "cat" and "rat" and so on at the end of their normal name. Veermoks are baboon-like; I don't need my hand held to figure that out any more than I have to say "tiger cat" or "coyote dog".

Chyntuck likes this.
  22. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014

[face_laugh]

I just checked. Dark Force Rising, chapter 22: "The turbolift car shifted direction several times along the way, alternating before horizontal and vertical movement." I win :p:p:p

Edit: did Cooper just call me "pedantic"? I may actually like the sound of that o_O

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, but that's not canon anymore, is it?

Yes, I went there.[face_devil]

Vialco and Chyntuck like this.
  24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Trust me, that's the highest compliment around here.

Chyntuck likes this.
  25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    As for coffee and caf, maybe they're two different things? Maybe in-universe, "coffee" is decaf and caf is–well, caffeinated? :p

I must confess that now I'll likely read all your posts in a British accent, because up until now I was unaware of this fact. [face_laugh]

Iron_lord likes this.