main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books STAR WARS: A NEW DAWN (September 2014)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Apr 25, 2014.

1. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Maybe they hope to recycle it in some way into the future EU some day?

2. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I see how "disneyfied" was the wrong expression since that's got everything from Mickey Mouse to the Lion King behind it. What I meant was the idea that there's this different approach to the novels now, and EH clarified that he meant a new DR approach from 2012 instead of a post-reboot approach, "Disney has the licence now"-approach (which I first understood). I'm not one of those who think that the Disney company is only about kiddie kiddie stuff; only concentrating on kids would be far too little potential income for the company.

Thanks for clarifying; I never expected that they started new work during the time in which the only update on SOTJ was a t-shirt.

EternalHero, Riv_Shiel and CooperTFN like this.
  3. Weston

Weston Jedi Youngling

Jun 28, 2014
    Just letting you guys know the HC page count is 367, so its a pretty decent length.

Barriss_Coffee and CooperTFN like this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    This notion that Mickey Mouse is sitting around telling authors what to do is loony. Disney doesn't give a crap -- they just want $$$. At the end of the day, it's Lucasfilm and Del Rey. Aka the same people it's been this whole time.

There are differences from old EU books, but they're minor and you'd never have noticed them if they happened before the announcement.

5. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    So what? Why are you guys arguing over this stuff? In the end, the change was made and you have to accept it. GL doesn't own star wars, Sue retired, Sansweet is gone, and we have this new Luscafilm Story Group. Thats it, the new book comes out in several days, some have gotten and probably know a bit but by the end of this week we are going to know what the novel is about and by then we have about three weeks before the movie comes out and then onto the tv series. Nothing new here, some will like it and others won't and remicince about the cancelled Clone War series.

6. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    I don't beleive that and star wars books lately had been more of a yawn than a spark. So the fact that this book is getting off to a good start with a decent reveiw is good. TCW never had this.

7. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    I agree with this and most people here don't because they liked teh book but it was a bit slow and boring.

8. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    ...Dude, use the edit function.

9. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    I haven't seen the book yet, but considering it took the same audiobook narrator only 30 minutes less time to narrate this book than Heir to the Empire (13:15 vs. 12:45), I think it's safe to say this really isn't a short book.

10. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    I only keep track of word count when I turn it in, not after later edits -- but it was the same length as KENOBI when I turned it in. We added a prologue and another scene to KENOBI and tightened NEW DAWN after the turn-in, so NEW DAWN will come out a little shorter -- but not by much.

My chapters are indeed getting shorter. This is the same thing that happened as my comics writing developed; I found ways to use fewer panels each page to tell the same story. My new TREK novel's chapters are shorter still, though that is influenced by the story itself, which entirely takes place in space and cuts often from one ship to another.

(By the way, our release event is Tuesday (tomorrow, 9/2) at 7 at the Barnes & Noble in Grand Chute (Appleton), Wisconsin.)

11. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    I get mine tomorrow- Can't wait.

12. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    Having read the ARE (thanks for signing that at SDCC, by the way), I can say that the shorter chapters are to the benefit of the story. It helps keep things moving at a brisk pace, rather than slogging along. The decently sized and varied cast of characters helped with that too, of course.

13. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    Man I can't wait for this tomorrow!

Senator Kelberry likes this.
  14. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Mine should be here in the next few days. So excite!

15. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    Just downloaded the audiobook from audible. I'm really looking forward to listening to it, as I really enjoyed Kenobi.

I've already seen some changes to the continuity, after only listening for 30 minutes. Namely, (possible spoiler alert), Depa Bilaba's presence in the middle of the clone wars. There is a flashback scene in the very beginning that dates the scene in the middle of the clone wars, where Depa is present.

16. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014

I just want to say that A New Dawn is your most readable SW novel, it just flows beautifully from scene to scene, I'm really loving it!

Weston likes this.
  17. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    Finished it. Was not disappointed in the least.

I want to see more of Sloane! She's awesome.

Okadiah...:(

18. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Kanan is younger than I thought, and Hera older. *shrugs*
    Kanan falling for Hera's voice and eyes is just adorable

Sometimes I picture them moving like cartoons and sometimes I don't. Is anyone else visualizing like that?

19. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    JediFan215:
    My copy is on my kindle. Now I just need to find time to read it!

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I have some plot-related comments I've been waiting to talk about, but I'll wait 'til more people have finished it. For now though:

-- boo hiss Rebel scum

-- boo hiss Vidian

-- yay Sloane

21. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm about 2/3 through it and basically all I want is for Sloane and Skelly to run away together.

22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Wasn't Depa always present in the middle of the Clone Wars?

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I hate you.

24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Hell with Hera and Kanan; I want that TV show.

25. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    I just want Sloane to be a recurring Imperial in the new novels.

If she shows up in Rebels, I will squee. (If they kill her, I will rage.)

And Gorse is the latest to join the group that I refer to as "Planet (Four letter word meaning fecal matter)berg". I mean that in the nicest way, I love planets that are horrible to live on. I know exactly what living their must feel like, I already live in that climate. (aside from the perpetual night). Humid heat is the worst.