main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books STAR WARS: A NEW DAWN (September 2014)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Apr 25, 2014.

1. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    It's one of the new tall ones. (I say new, but the changeover in publishing started ten years ago: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/12/books/12paper.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0)

The type's definitely larger, and even with the taller pages my part of the book now ends on page 381, as opposed to 367 in the regular-sized ARC paperback.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This isn't going to happen with every single paperback from now on is it?

3. JohnJacksonMiller

May 24, 2005
    I have no idea -- was just explaining where the format originated. I didn't know the book's dimensions until I got mine (but then I've been too busy to wonder about it).

Mass-market paperbacks were originally designed for newsvendor racks and needed to be as small as possible -- and as that article gets into, they were in their heyday in the Waldenbooks world, because like city newsstands, mall bookstores were space-limited. The paper was always cheaper because the unsold copies were destroyed, and they were seldom discounted by much because the margins were so slim on them. We're seeing more experimentation now. But my publishing history knowledge is really more on the comics side.

4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Thanks for the info. Very interesting. Had to ask.

5. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I'm re reading New Dawn for the second time now and I still can't get over how great that cover looks.

starfish likes this.
  6. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    It is, Del Rey has confirmed they're keeping the format. Unfortunately, since it's hideous.

7. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

I think they'll keep that format for the new books. When they re-publish the Legends books, the old format will be used.

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I miss the days of books being $6.99. Though they were 5.99 at one point weren't they? Money, money, money.

SWpants likes this.
  9. JohnJacksonMiller

May 24, 2005
    The oldest paperback on my shelf has a cover price of 35 cents. Except during recessions, paper prices have mostly tended to increase. Wood pulp's doubled since 2000. You can't frack for trees (though that would be an interesting story).

But I do prefer books getting physically larger, as opposed to comic books and newspapers, which have only gotten smaller. Comics less perceptibly so -- though you'll find you can't get a 1950s comic book into a current comic bag. But newspapers, for sure. I uncovered a cache of newspapers from the Revolutionary and Civil War eras recently, and they're vast. To be able to mail them flat, I had to go to an art supply store and get some of their largest posterboard.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I wouldn't mind sturdier paperbacks. I've almost completely moved to digital reading at this point, excepting books that have a particular physical benefit (including art books).

But when that wasn't really a thing, paperbacks always frustrated me with their fragility. I tend to be a careful reader who hates creasing spines and even then the things would fall apart. Moving away from the newsstand versions is a good thing. I didn't even realize that was the reason that mass markets were so small and fragile; I grew up with books that size and wondered why they never matched the older books I found in the library. Now I know.

Now I'm just reminded of the joy I had in going to a regular store with a book stand and seeing a new X-wing book was out. Good times.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

CooperTFN, starfish and Revanfan1 like this.
  11. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I still have several books that are bow-backed now because I read them so much. I, Jedi and Rogue Squadron are both that, as is Heir to the Empire. Several of my old Redwall books, as well. I've moved mostly to digital as well now, mostly because I'm running out of room for more books on my shelves.

starfish and Revanfan1 like this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    My original EU books are beaten up so badly that it's a miracle they're still alive. I read them a lot when I was younger, before I cared about keeping them in decent shape. Subsequent books are in much better shape, though they do still develop hairline creases from time to time.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

13. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I have one book that actually split in half because it warped after being left out in the rain. Somehow, it not only has all of its pages still, it also is entirely legible.

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Quite a lot of mine seem to be getting bleached along the spines by the sunlight (shelves face south, toward a window).

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    One book of mine had sections of pages falling out and needed to be replaced.

16. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    Not Star Wars, but when we read Hamlet in high school, I used my Dad's copy from the seventies. By the end of the unit, it had split into not one, not two, but three parts along the spine. It was held together by duct tape. But it was still complete and legible, so there was no way I was buying a new one.

The Positive Fan likes this.
  17. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I still got my dad's dictionary in like 5 pieces

18. JohnJacksonMiller

May 24, 2005
    I still use the thesaurus I had in high school. That thing looks like it came through a fire.

Mass-market paperbacks are built from 16- or 32-page signatures -- basically, mini-magazines of folded over pages -- that are then gummed in, so if you're seeing a spine break on an older book, it's going to separate between the signatures (explaining why you'll have clumps come out of old books while other sections remain in). Obviously we won't know until there have been decades of use, but I would imagine the longer spine on the new size increases the gummed surface area and maybe protects it from stress better. We'll see.

As a hoarder with an egregious number of books (even before I married a librarian) I'm long since accustomed to varying book sizes. Any more, the racks we buy or build for mass-market fiction are sized to take the trade paperback size (like Lost Tribe).

19. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    The only thing that could improve my copy of A New Dawn was if I had it signed by JohnJacksonMiller :p

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I tend to keep my paperbacks in pristine condition and even with all the lengths I go to, they start to bend after a while. It doesn't drive me as crazy as it used to...but it is still a bit annoying.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Different book sizes don't bother me so much -- between different genres, non-fiction, and academic publishers and their randomness my library is of all different shapes and sizes. What does bother me, though, is when books of the same series don't match: new hardcovers, publisher changes, or obtaining books abroad will do that. I'm not very OCD, but that one particular thing bugs me.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

22. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The differences between the paperback edition of Deathly Hallows with the rest of Harry Potter still bugs me. The size is the same, but they didn't use the writing style on the hardcover on its respective paperback like the rest of the series did.

DelRiego likes this.
  23. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    My x-wing books are definitely in pretty awful condition, particularly the wraith books. Almost as bad off as my copy of "A People's History of the United States" and "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee". They all still look great to me though. :)

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    In a few years time, you'll look back fondly on lower book prices!

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    There will be a day when I miss $9.99 prices alright. I'm sure of it.

Jedi Ben likes this.